US OPEN 2014 - AUG 25th to SEP 8th

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The draw ceremony is over; Here is the draw in html form. Here is the draw in PDF form.

Here is the draw restricted to top 16 seeds, that is easy to digest.

-------------------------
Novak - Isner
Tsonga - Murray
Stan - Robredo
Kishori - Milos
Bird - Gulbis
Cilic - Ferrer
--------------------------
Grigor - Gasquet
Fognini - Federer
---------------------------

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Murray got what he deserved in the draw. He drew in Novak. After all, he got into
the top 8 due to withdrawal and so it seems fair that he gets the tough opponent in QF.

Also, Murray has to face Tsonga (the toughest he could possibly draw in R16) before he even
gets to see Novak.

As if that is not enough, he needs to face Verdasco (remember the trouble he gave to
Andy in Wimbledon) in R32.

For good measure, he gets ever tricky Stepanek in R64.

Murray wins the anti-cup-cake-draw-award hands down.

I expect the oddsmakers to boot him out of top 5 favorites within the next few hours.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Muray's got a tough road, that's for sure. The whole top half looks a bit tougher to me. Roger's first test should be Grigor, but there is always a guy that punches above his weight, so I am curious who that will be , in either side of the draw.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has a clear path to finals, unless he chooses to self destruct along the way.

1st round - Matosevic
2nd round - Sam Groth
R32 - Karlovic
R16 - Fognini
QF - Grigor
SF - Ferrer
F - Novak / who knows

I like the second alternative for finals. ;)

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed's path has some landmines. He could face Dr Karlovic in the 3rd round. Murray also has a tricky draw.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Muray's got a tough road, that's for sure. The whole top half looks a bit tougher to me. Roger's first test should be Grigor, but there is always a guy that punches above his weight, so I am curious who that will be , in either side of the draw.

I agree, top half is loaded. bottom half is quite light in comparison.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray's is brutal.

Roger's is relatively easy until Grigor, which could be very interesting. Karlovic is there but I think his threat is overstated. Anyhow, he might not get past Nieminen or Granollers.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hope to see Llodra rip a few players a new one in what will likely be his last USO.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Steve Darcis won his 2nd qualifying match knocking out Michael Russell. Alexander Zverev lost as did Thanasi Kokkinakis. Peter Gojowczyk who played a very good first set against Nadal in Doha won his 2nd qualifying match too.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting first round matches:

1. Bird - Hewitt.
2. Bernard Tomic - Dustin Brown.
3. Mad Doctor - Nick Kyrgios.
4. Marin Cilic - Marcos Baghdatis.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Caw, who did this draw? Mirka? :laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Only good thing about the draw from Novak's perspective is that it might make him sharpen his game fast. Isner has beaten him, Murray has, Stan has. He'll need to play high level stuff at the start if week two just to make the final...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Isner just withdrew from Winston-Salem QF with a sprained ankle so he isn't exactly a threat right now. Del Potro-esque stupid scheduling pre-slam.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Isner just withdrew from Winston-Salem QF with a sprained ankle so he isn't exactly a threat right now. Del Potro-esque stupid scheduling pre-slam.

I would not take the "sprained ankle" story very seriously. I didn't watch any of W&S matches.
However, it is completely conceivable that the injury story is a lie.

He had incentive to reach QF and withdrew. He needed to reach QF in order to get his
point total doubled as per the new rules. Without doubling effect, he will not even finish
in the USO Series Bonus Challenge contest.

Once, he made sure that has done enough to get his points doubled, he quit; a smart
move though.

Isner won Atlanta and got 70 points. He got out early in both DC and Toronoto and
got 0 points in each. He got 15 points by reaching R16 in Cincy. So, he has got points
from only two tournaments. In order for doubling rule to apply, he needs to get
points from three different tournaments. So, he played W&S. To earn points there,
he needs to reach at least a QF. SO, he reached that and got his points doubled
to 200 from 100 and got out.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Man, I don't believe the draw is actually rigged, but boy did Federer luck out, IMO. His only real threat (unless Berdych upsets Ferrer) is Dimi. Novak drew a real murderer's row.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Man, I don't believe the draw is actually rigged, but boy did Federer luck out, IMO. His only real threat (unless Berdych upsets Ferrer) is Dimi. Novak drew a real murderer's row.

Murray's draw is worse than Novak's.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:

Which one is Murray, again? :huh:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:

I would not take the "sprained ankle" story very seriously. I didn't watch any of W&S matches.
However, it is completely conceivable that the injury story is a lie.

He had incentive to reach QF and withdrew. He needed to reach QF in order to get his
point total doubled as per the new rules. Without doubling effect, he will not even finish
in the USO Series Bonus Challenge contest.

Once, he made sure that has done enough to get his points doubled, he quit; a smart
move though.

Isner won Atlanta and got 70 points. He got out early in both DC and Toronoto and
got 0 points in each. He got 15 points by reaching R16 in Cincy. So, he has got points
from only two tournaments. In order for doubling rule to apply, he needs to get
points from three different tournaments. So, he played W&S. To earn points there,
he needs to reach at least a QF. SO, he reached that and got his points doubled
to 200 from 100 and got out.

Quite possible alright that it's bs. Either way I doubt he'd have done any better truly sprained ankle or 100% physically fine.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:

His fault for dropping so far in the rankings IMO. Number 8 should have a really tough draw, at least from the quarters on. Novak also got a really dangerous round of 16 opponent.