US OPEN 2014 - AUG 25th to SEP 8th

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
borna coric is through to 3rd qualif round..after he wasted usa's Stefan kozlov 2-6, 6-2, 6-2.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Alex Zverev got knocked out of qualifying today.

British No. 2 James Ward beat Vince Millot in straight sets, he's one win away from reaching his first US Open main draw...

Steve Darcis is also through to the final round of qualifying. I bet seeing his name in the quali draw is the real reason Rafa didn't turn up to New York this year, sore wrist my arse :angel:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
zverev lost after a 3rd set tb..tough one.

rafa is darcis dodging ?..oo-er.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
^ Believe me, GSM, when I tell you that I in no way subscribe to such theories.

I believe you. For the benefit of any others who subscribe to such theories, I am
giving a link to draw ceremony video . People can
click on the link and replay the video to see the draw ceremony, if you think you have no
other way of wasting time.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Tough draw for Nole but that is usually the case. Hopefully he will be very alert from the start. He's been training hard as well so that should help.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Qualifying day 3:

Notable winners: Marc Chudinelli, Rajeev Ram, James Ward, Borna Coric, Andreas Beck,
Peter Polansky (the free lesson that he got from Roger is working), Steve Darcis.

Notable Losers: Zverev, No. 1 seed Malek Jaziri, Yuki Bhambhri. James Duckworth,
Philip Petsczhner, Sanam Singh, Michael Russel

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Does anybody know if they'll have the first round spread over 3 first days again and a final on Monday?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
Does anybody know if they'll have the first round spread over 3 first days again and a final on Monday?

Yes, it will be like that this year also.

Starting from next year, the first round will last only 2 days and the finals will be on
sunday.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Billie said:

Yes, it will be like that this year also.

Starting from next year, the first round will last only 2 days and the finals will be on
sunday.

Thanks GSM...thankfully they go back on track like all other majors and finish on Sunday, enough is enough.:D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
also don't forget, in line with other majors..semi's on Friday. so no more so-called super Saturday. (huzzah).

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
also don't forget, in line with other majors..semi's on Friday. so no more so-called super Saturday. (huzzah).

That is right, I did forget about it. Order will be restored, yeah!!!:clap

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

That is right, I did forget about it. Order will be restored, yeah!!!:clap

finally they listened to the players.

playing mens SF>>womans F>>mens SF on Saturday..then having mens F on sunday was mental.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
And ITF also has Davis Cup the weekend following the USO final. If that stays, at least the players will have an extra day to get to where ever they end playing. And I don't have to take an extra vacation day for Monday, which is also very important.:D

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what to think about this years tournament for the men. Djokovic has not been good. He'll be more difficult to beat over the course of 5 sets, so I think he's probably still a strong contender if not the favorite. But he's only the favorite if Fed isn't. And I say that Fed may not be the favorite simply because it's a slam and he's only been to one final since his 2012 Wimbledon win. BUT that final was the last slam played. So it really does seem that he's really found a new level or a good level or whatever.

I guess I think based on recent form you have to officially say Fed is the favorite. Because you can't say Djokovic is. AND it seems that all of the serious threats to Fed are on Djokovic's side and even in his quarter. Brutal to see he and Murray could play so early. A man who can be a serious threat to Djokovic as well, not just Fed. But I do feel like most of these guys just aren't a threat to Djokovic over 5 sets. He's the iron man at this point that can go for 5 hours with Rafa Nadal. He can find a way to beat any of these guys. He'd have to be blitz and with his return ability it just doesn't seem possible. It's how he eventually outlasted Fed and was better in the end in the fifth set of Wimbledon.

I mean it literally feels like Fed could have to deal with Dimitrov in the quarters and that's it until the final AND.... if Murray nor Djokovic make that, then Fed is definitely the heavy favorite to take that match. But of course, he's been prone to upsets and it could be the time that Dimitrov finally stands tall and makes the final. Or just his second straight semi. (Or he could lose early because he hasn't exactly shown any consistency yet.) The thing with the semifinal opponent for Fed is that I think most of us are expecting Ferrer or Berdych to lose early. Ferrer at 32, despite just making the Cincy final just doesn't seem to be able to contend quite as much as he could even as late as last year. Of course, age isn't stopping Fed, other than perhaps keeping him from being truly superior to everyone. And Berdych has been struggling all year it seems like. He really hasn't had a terrible year, but he's lost a lot of matches he should of won. Which is what he used to do years ago. But lets say Berdych does make the semis. Can he beat Fed? I think he's certainly capable. But I think that at this level, Fed can win too. It could be a good match. Or Fed could take him in straights with a break or two a set. I'm curious if Bautista Agut can bother Fed at all. I like him a lot. He has shown some promise. But of course, over 5 sets, I just don't see him taking down Fed. At least not the way Fed has been playing. Of course, he too could lose before making it to Fed. Fed's first round is no easy pushover. Big server. But of course Fed has always stifled the big servers, other than a loss here or there. So a pushover most likely. But not an easy pushover... lol

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I think the quarter I'm most interested in is the Berdych - Ferrer quarter. Because I just don't believe in either of those guys enough to win it. Of course, that probably means they'll both make the quarters. Which, other than Wimbledon, Berdych has made a qf at the French and the sf at the AO. So he may be raising his level at the slams. Annnnddd... Ferrer made the qfs of the French and AO too. Both just underperformed at Wimbledon.

But Cilic is here. He could play Ferrer in the R16. IF he gets past Jerzy Janowicz. Though, Janowicz has to get past the young and talented Serbian Lajovic AND most likely fellow tall man Anderson. Bunch of tall guys.

In the other 16th lies Gulbis. Who I'd love to see do well for the first time since the French. Still a huge fan of his. He doesn't seem to do well with grass so those early losses were not surprising. But he hasn't really returned since then either. So I don't know. He could make the R16 and take Berdych out like he did at the French or he could get there and lose to Berdych because this isn't clay or he could lose to De Schepper in the first round, who he lost to recently. Or he could lose to Thiem in the second round, which I think is more likely. Though Thiem seems to be like Gulbis in that clay is his best surface. I could see Klizan taking Berdych out in the second round.

Just a very interesting quarter. It's the one I think we'll have a surprise semifinalist from. The other quarters I think will go according to plan.
Djokovic or Murray up top.
Raonic.
This open quarter.
Then Fed. ... Or Dimitrov. If my nervousness about Fed turns out to be founded.

And I know Raonic isn't exactly according to plan. But... I still don't trust Wawrinka. Though this is where he had his second good run at a slam last year.... I'm not sure I think he'll get very far. If he does make it to Raonic who I think has a pretty clear path seeing as Nishikori will probably get injured.... I do think Wawrinka can break and beat Raonic, but I think Raonic will come out with the win. I'M HOPING Nishikori doesn't get injured and goes to the semis or final. But... we'll see. This isn't Wimbledon so maybe he can do more with Raonic's serve. I'm not optimistic though. Maybe Jack Sock will come through to the quarters and he can lose to Raonic for a .... 4th straight time?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
I don't know what to think about this years tournament for the men. Djokovic has not been good. He'll be more difficult to beat over the course of 5 sets, so I think he's probably still a strong contender if not the favorite. But he's only the favorite if Fed isn't. And I say that Fed may not be the favorite simply because it's a slam and he's only been to one final since his 2012 Wimbledon win. BUT that final was the last slam played. So it really does seem that he's really found a new level or a good level or whatever.

I guess I think based on recent form you have to officially say Fed is the favorite. Because you can't say Djokovic is. AND it seems that all of the serious threats to Fed are on Djokovic's side and even in his quarter. Brutal to see he and Murray could play so early. A man who can be a serious threat to Djokovic as well, not just Fed. But I do feel like most of these guys just aren't a threat to Djokovic over 5 sets. He's the iron man at this point that can go for 5 hours with Rafa Nadal. He can find a way to beat any of these guys. He'd have to be blitz and with his return ability it just doesn't seem possible. It's how he eventually outlasted Fed and was better in the end in the fifth set of Wimbledon.

I mean it literally feels like Fed could have to deal with Dimitrov in the quarters and that's it until the final AND.... if Murray nor Djokovic make that, then Fed is definitely the heavy favorite to take that match. But of course, he's been prone to upsets and it could be the time that Dimitrov finally stands tall and makes the final. Or just his second straight semi. (Or he could lose early because he hasn't exactly shown any consistency yet.) The thing with the semifinal opponent for Fed is that I think most of us are expecting Ferrer or Berdych to lose early. Ferrer at 32, despite just making the Cincy final just doesn't seem to be able to contend quite as much as he could even as late as last year. Of course, age isn't stopping Fed, other than perhaps keeping him from being truly superior to everyone. And Berdych has been struggling all year it seems like. He really hasn't had a terrible year, but he's lost a lot of matches he should of won. Which is what he used to do years ago. But lets say Berdych does make the semis. Can he beat Fed? I think he's certainly capable. But I think that at this level, Fed can win too. It could be a good match. Or Fed could take him in straights with a break or two a set. I'm curious if Bautista Agut can bother Fed at all. I like him a lot. He has shown some promise. But of course, over 5 sets, I just don't see him taking down Fed. At least not the way Fed has been playing. Of course, he too could lose before making it to Fed. Fed's first round is no easy pushover. Big server. But of course Fed has always stifled the big servers, other than a loss here or there. So a pushover most likely. But not an easy pushover... lol

Good post. I think a lot of people (inc me) probably expect Djokovic to play his way back into form during the tournament. So I'd still say Djoker is the favourite. I think Fed beats Murray here in any event as it stands right now.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Poor Tsonga, he's on Nole/Murray's side...he's unfortunate this time

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry Djokovic fans but Tignor has jinxed Novak and picked him to win.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/08/how-open-open/52500/#.U_duOmMpC2U

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Sorry Djokovic fans but Tignor has jinxed Novak and picked him to win.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/08/how-open-open/52500/#.U_duOmMpC2U

That is the last piece of good news that I was waiting for.