US OPEN 2014 - AUG 25th to SEP 8th

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It would take Deep Blue, the computer that totaled Kasparov, to calculate when it was that Tignor last got it right. I think it was sometime around the Cretaceous Period, just before the age of mammals... :nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today is the last day of qualifying tourney:

Notable winners: Marcos Chidnelli (Swiss #3), Steve Darcis (Nadal slayer),
Borna Coric (teenager)

Notable losers: James Ward (british dude), Peter Polansky (canadian guy)

Some matches are not yet over. I will post a last update after everything is over.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Final update on qualification:

1. Andreas Beck of Germany also qualified along with others previously mentioned.
2. Five different players who qualified are making into the MD of a slam for the first time.
3. There were 14 US players in the qualifying draw. As you might have guessed, none of them qualified.
4. No luck for the 4 british guys and 3 indian dudes either.
5. Most players who qualified are European. As many as three Japanese players qualified. Some sporadic winners from other countries.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The US interest in USO is now limited to 12 players; 6 of them had direct entries,
6 of them got wild cards and 0 of them got through qualifying.

The direct entry players are the following.

1. John Isner
2. Sam Querry
3. Steve Johnson
4. Jack Sock
5. Donald Young
6. Bradley Klahn

The wild card receipients are the following

1. Wayne HGH Odesnik (Pro circuit winner)
2. Noah Rubin (Boys 18 champion, training in JMac's academy)
3. Marcos Giron (NCAA champion)
4. Jared Donaldson (teenager coached by Taylor Dent)
5. Ryan Harrison (has tremendous experience in losing in 1st round at USO)
6. Tim Smyczek (would have got direct entry if it was based on today's rankings)

Prediction:

After first round, 7 will be left.
After second round 2 (John Isner and Jack Sock) will be left.
After third round none will be left.

John Isner has draw Philip Kohlschrbrier in the 3rd round and in the last two USOs,
he lost to Kohly in exactly the same round. No reason to think it will be any different
this year, unless of course John decides to go home earlier.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1st rd. borna coric v lukas rosol,

rosol still to play his final v the resurgent jerzy janowicz who has won 5 matches in a row. (after 10+ consecutive defeats earlier)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Peter Bodo has joined the Fedfans who are simmering just below gloating, and the tournament hasn't even begun. It shows how simple Federer's draw is seen to be. I know Roger doesn't take things for granted, but the phrase "the stars have aligned" has been used again in relation to him. I wonder if this will create its own pressure?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
fed did the ice bucket challenge hahaha

I see the ice bucket challenge everywhere. I know that stars like Rafa and Federer are going to give generously anyway, but people are using it to escape giving money to charity and posting their vids on Facebook. It's hilarious if it wasn't so stoopah. Come to me with the ice bucket challenge and there better be a cold pint of Guinness in there, to be lowered the traditional way, or otherwise, the ice bucket challenge is not on my bucket list... ;)

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
I'm afraid the "last chance" situation doesn't suit Federer. Very tense at RG '09 after Rafa was out (excl. the final). Also tense at Wimby '09 against Benneteau and Malisse after Rafa was out (even though also his back was hurting). Not at his best at his "last chance" Olympics, mach better two weeks later at Cincy without the Olympics pressure.

This seems like another "last chance" tournament for Roger. And I don't think he's been mentally very strong this year.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

1. Andreas Beck of Germany also qualified along with others previously mentioned.
2. Five different players who qualified are making into the MD of a slam for the first time.
3. There were 14 US players in the qualifying draw. As you might have guessed, none of them qualified.
5. Most players who qualified are European. As many as three Japanese players qualified. Some sporadic winners from other countries.

Kieran will have someone to root for, James McGee (IRL) made the main draw as well;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Kieran will have someone to root for, James McGee (IRL) made the main draw as well;)

Thanks for the news, Herios! I was getting anxious, I hate to only be rooting against players... ;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Do we know the OOP for the first couple of days? I heard that Nole will be playing his first match on Tuesday, night session after Masha.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
Do we know the OOP for the first couple of days? I heard that Nole will be playing his first match on Tuesday, night session after Masha.

According to the schedule, No1e plays the second night match on Monday on Arthur Ashe.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:

Actually Nole plays tomorrow night on Ashe, so stay tuned !!!!

Go Nole!:)

EDIT: Not tomorrow, on August 25

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Billie said:

According to the schedule, No1e plays the second night match on Monday on Arthur Ashe.

Oh Monday, thanks IH....since I work in the morning next week, any night match is OK to me as I can watch them. I decided not to be lazy and here is the full schedule for Monday:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=sumscores

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good for Novak, to be playing tomorrow. Usually their scheduling is so atrocious, he prolly expected to be called in on Wednesday...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
August said:
I'm afraid the "last chance" situation doesn't suit Federer. Very tense at RG '09 after Rafa was out (excl. the final). Also tense at Wimby '09 against Benneteau and Malisse after Rafa was out (even though also his back was hurting). Not at his best at his "last chance" Olympics, mach better two weeks later at Cincy without the Olympics pressure.

This seems like another "last chance" tournament for Roger. And I don't think he's been mentally very strong this year.

Yeah, but he got the job done on both of those occasions.

I don't think he looked "tense" particularly at Wimbledon 09 - just looked like he was playing through a few physical issues. He definitely looked tense at RG - I think he knew it was now or never.

But again, he can get as tense as he likes as long he produces the goods.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tough opening match for Murray. Last time he played Haase at the USO (in 2011) he won in 5, going down 2 sets to 0.