Upset Corner - US Open 2015 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Now, Woz wants to join the gang. Down a set to Cetzkovskova (is there a spell check for these names?)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Woz, rights the ship by taking the second set after trailing 1-4 in it.

She could still lose. Cetkovska is playing well, but as usual has trouble closing out.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Woz, rights the ship by taking the second set after trailing 1-4 in it.

She could still lose. Cetkovska is playing well, but as usual has trouble closing out.

Cetkovska wants it just as bad as Wozy, somebody is going to be banging their head against the hotel room wall when they loose this match

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Wozniacki gone.

What a TB by Cetkovska! Without any nerves, she finally annihilated the two time finalist Caroline.

Actually, she should have got over with it long time ago.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Looks like the "Conneticut Curse" strikes again!!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Calvy said:

It wasn't a curse,just a player who doesn't have the guts to pull the trigger. Good win by the Czech player

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Cetkovsta had 61 winners against the pusher Caroline.

She should have actually finished the match log ago as she was leading by a set and two breaks up at one time. But, she had nerves once she saw the finish line.

Also, she saved four match points in the process. All of them are hard fought winners by Cetkovska

Congrats Cetkovska, for getting it done in the end with a masterclass tie break in which she lost just one point. :clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, after four days into the Open, we have just three top 10 players left standing; Serena, Simona and Petra.

Petra owns a secret "self-destruct' button which once she pushes, nothing can save her including a lame duck opponent. She has not utilized it yet. I fully expect her to use that button sometime soon.

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Calvy said:

It wasn't a curse,just a player who doesn't have the guts to pull the trigger. Good win by the Czech player

woz really needs to evaluate her game if she is serious about winning a grand slam. I would love to see her take one, but she will not win one playing pusher tennis.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Petra owns a secret "self-destruct' button which once she pushes, nothing can save her including a lame duck opponent. She has not utilized it yet. I fully expect her to use that button sometime soon.

If only, just this once, she could avoid the temptation to push it....

Wait. Who am I kidding. She's probavbly Pavlovian, and thinks she will get a snack when she pushes it :(

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fefe26 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Calvy said:

woz really needs to evaluate her game if she is serious about winning a grand slam. I would love to see her take one, but she will not win one playing pusher tennis.

Me thinks her window of opportunity is gone already. She may have missed the bus. She did not incorporate aggressiveness to her game when she finished YE #1 twice and instead she used to defend her approach.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Everybody is keeping quiet here. The youngest girl remaining was upset by the oldest girl remaining. I did not think it would happen despite the head to head in V's favor as B was an upswing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK. There were 3 upsets today, out of the 8 matches.

But, only one of them was real upset. That one is Konta taking out Petkovic.

Vika taking out Kerber and Stosur taking out Errani are both kind of expected even though they are lower ranked players.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Germany has such an interesting trio with Kerber, Petkovic, and Lisicki. Only Lisicki barely made it to the 4th round. It must be frustrating to have so much promise in the three and it not coming.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
apparently after second set loss Vika took her bag to the locker room to read notes.I know Serena used to read notes what a copycat...she took Sascha,went for Venus s agent,wearing Serena s shoes,tried to go after Drake...even her celebrations are beginning to look like Serena s ...its creepy..she is going to go after Patrick when Serena retires....#noclass

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The way she berates umpires, and hoots to high heaven, I can't stand watching Azarenka. She just seems like a person who would cheat or do anything to win and everything she has done so far in her career has confirmed that. Low class.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
The way she berates umpires, and hoots to high heaven, I can't stand watching Azarenka. She just seems like a person who would cheat or do anything to win and everything she has done so far in her career has confirmed that. Low class.
she is insufferable..her arrogance has gone through the roof and it makes her look ugly.She complains about calls, calling umpires names unnecessarily.I think Sumyk was good for her,she was well behaved and calm...now..:nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Upset Alert: Kristina just played superb TB and won it. Makarova might be sent home soon.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kristina gets the job done. After coughing up the second set, she feeds a delicious breadstick to Maka and enters her first ever QF.

Also, Vinci caused an upset without setting foot in court.