Upset Corner - RG 2021 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't slack off even for few hours. Dominic Thiem, no. 4 seed and considered by some as the best of the rest on dirt bites the bullet on the opening day. As usual, this is your thread to discuss upsets in all manners possible: predictions, alerting others as it happens so that they can catch some of it, gloating afterwards, grieving and commiserating with others.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for setting this up, GSM, one of your signature threads. A lot of going on today. I didn't realize that Dimitrov had to retire, so yeah, not exactly an upset. Anyone know what goes on with him? Thiem was a surprise, but I didn't think a complete shock, though he's got a lot to think about. (Sadly for him, he's suddenly got time on his hands to do just that.) I started to wonder about Tsitsipas in the first set, but he righted the ship. I was surprised by Evans, as he's been having an unexpectedly good clay season. Saw nothing of that match. But he messed up my draw. :(

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing can be considered an "upset" at RG except if GOATdal doesn't win. All the other players are supposed to lose. :clap:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing can be considered an "upset" at RG except if GOATdal doesn't win. All the other players are supposed to lose. :clap:
Useless, fannish post. You really try to take all the fun and the air out of everything, don't you?

Reactions: napo

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Useless, fannish post. You really try to take all the fun and the air out of everything, don't you?

No, it's the contrary. I'm having fun with my comments while you take them too seriously.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, it's the contrary. I'm having fun with my comments while you take them too seriously.
Not to worry, I don't take you seriously at all. I just thought it was a PSA to point out that no one thinks you are "fun." You're certainly not funny. If you tried fannish-ness with more panache and humor, that might work better. Give that a think.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Van De Zandschulp surprised Hurkazs and beat him in 5 sets.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not to worry, I don't take you seriously at all. I just thought it was a PSA to point out that no one thinks you are "fun." You're certainly not funny. If you tried fannish-ness with more panache and humor, that might work better. Give that a think.

GOATdal > Federer + Djokovic + Moxie

Get over it. :smooch:

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sonego got thrown out by Harris in straight sets. I noticed someone created a "draw from hell" for Ralph and included Sonego in that as 3rd round opponent of Ralph (before the draw came out).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sonego got thrown out by Harris in straight sets. I noticed someone created a "draw from hell" for Ralph and included Sonego in that as 3rd round opponent of Ralph (before the draw came out).
I think it was just a general purposes "draw from Hell," as Nadal was in it.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Struff defeats the beautifully coiffed Rublev

6-3, 7-6, 4-6, 3-6, 6-4
Ball crushing R rated contest goes to german slayer. Rublev let that 2nd set slip away and Struff is not the guy you want to play when chasing 2 sets down.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ball crushing R rated contest goes to german slayer. Rublev let that 2nd set slip away and Struff is not the guy you want to play when chasing 2 sets down.
There goes our side-bet. :(

• Sad
Reactions: don_fabio