Upset Corner - US Open 2015 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Nearly a third of the seeds (10/32) lost in the first round. :cover

Thanks tented, I totally missed Alize Cornet's upset. So, one more player with experience of beating Serena is gone.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Is Pavlyuchenkova losing early at a Slam even worthy of mentioning as an upset (she's down a set to Kontaviet)?

When I look at "biggest squanderers of talent" in today's WTA, Pavs is near the top. Early in her career, she looked to have huge upside and potential, but to my thinking, she has never delivered on that promise.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moose said:
Is Pavlyuchenkova losing early at a Slam even worthy of mentioning as an upset (she's down a set to Kontaviet)?

When I look at "biggest squanderers of talent" in today's WTA, Pavs is near the top. Early in her career, she looked to have huge upside and potential, but to my thinking, she has never delivered on that promise.

If she's seeded that definitely qualifies as an upset.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:

Thanks tented, I totally missed Alize Cornet's upset. So, one more player with experience of beating Serena is gone.
:lolz::popcorn..they are all going down...maybe Serena might play Venus in the qtrs..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
special700 said:
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
KS.. ES isn't going to be a big time player, I would suggest for all her fans to lower their expectations for her to be a grand slam champion. Sloane has regressed. Sloane had the footwork of USTA 4.0 player. Sloan bh is just to block the ball back in play not really striking the ball with a purpose. If I was her coach, I would suggest for him to have her go to Coney Island beach, find a nice secluded spot, make like an ostrich and stick her head in. At that point maybe that little girl will listen. She had no business loosing to Coco. Sloane as usual played down to the level of her competition.
I'm not expecting her to be a big match player, but a R1 loss to Puffy at her home slam is unacceptable.

It's also the entitle girl's home slam...No. Can't stand coco.
Huh? I don't understand what you're saying.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The L.L.Daria has won her second match also upsetting (unseeded) Ana Konjuh.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Scone was more interested in how her outfit looked...she had false eyelashes on .Scone and Colleen are the most annoying players on tour followed by the eisenbuddies.
I prefer really talented youngsters like Muguruza,Svitolina,Townsend once she gets it together,Daria and Bencic .

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
I prefer really talented youngsters like Muguruza,Svitolina,Townsend once she gets it together,Daria and Bencic .

The talented youngster I have my eye on is 18 year old Oceane Dodin. The little I have seen so far of her shows big potential I believe. A nice win over Jankovic Monday, a winnable second rounder. Could def draw some attention her way this week.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moose said:
tossip said:

The talented youngster I have my eye on is 18 year old Oceane Dodin. The little I have seen so far of her shows big potential I believe. A nice win over Jankovic Monday, a winnable second rounder. Could def draw some attention her way this week.
never seen her play...does she lots of variety like most French players..

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
never seen her play...does she lots of variety like most French players..

Nice big serve, great court coverage abilities from what I have seen. Two handed Seles-like backhand, lot of oomph to her forehand. From the highlights of the JJ match that I caught, along with seeing her play the better Pliskova during the AO, it looks like she needs to work on coming in to net. But she's still young, so there is time for her to develop some more court sense.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:

:lolz::popcorn..they are all going down...maybe Serena might play Venus in the qtrs..

I'm torn on that. Do you want them to meet? What if Venus is the one who stops her? Normally, that would be highly unlikely these days, but perhaps Serena's nerves would get to her.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I'm torn on that. Do you want them to meet? What if Venus is the one who stops her? Normally, that would be highly unlikely these days, but perhaps Serena's nerves would get to her.

I don't want that to happen. I also do not think it will happen. Belinda will take it up to V.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
tossip said:

I don't want that to happen. I also do not think it will happen. Belinda will take it up to V.

True. Actually, given how up-and-down Venus is, she could go out tonight.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Bencic rights the ship by winning the second set in tie breaker after losing the first. Remains to be seen how this ends.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
V in trouble. It is 1 set all and V looks tired. Served for the match two times and could not get it done and then lost the TB

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
It's looking REAL dire for Muguruza...down 1-4 in the third!! Can Konta close?

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
golds girl said:
It's looking REAL dire for Muguruza...down 1-4 in the third!! Can Konta close?

Well Muguruza is also out. Was thinking she could have been the Serena challenger, but I guess not. Remains to be Halep me thinks

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Muguruza's exit leaves just 4 of top 10 players standing (after just 4 days) :cover