UK Politics Thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you thought Tony Blair's awful attempt at playing football to demonstrate being "one of the people" was cringeworthy, then this will make you chuckle.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a huge concern, though it’s hardly unexpected:

Scandalous Indoctrination: Inside a Kings College Counter-Terrorism Course for UK Civil Servants

The course began with the issue of definitions. What is Terrorism? Without anyone providing an opposing standpoint, we were taught the adage, ‘One man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist.’

I posed to the room: ‘Surely we can acknowledge subjectivity while being able to come up with a collective understanding of what terrorism is?’ Some 40 civil servants looked at me blankly. No?

I wondered why we were there.

The danger of understanding terrorism with cultural relativism is that it breeds moral apathy; the kind that says ‘Who are we, mere democratic, liberal Westerners to impose our morality onto others? Who are we to say our culture is superior to others?’

These are luxury attitudes. It is easy to be sat in Kings College London and feel that all cultures are equal, when you haven’t been anally raped at a peace festival by someone shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ and held hostage.

The modern west is falling due to false notions of compassion, and a lack of confidence in its great successes. We’ve had too many vipers in the nest, too many people who think western values and freedoms are underserved, racist, and judgemental of others. And that we ought not to defend them. Too many pretentious relativists.

This course is indicative of modern western masochistic tendencies…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
it's truly terrifying how this ideology has infiltrated every where. I don't know how this is reversed. I just hope that the Claudine Gay thing is the start of real public awareness. You have know the problem exists first before you can fix it

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think this is an underestimate

What do you think about Brexit now that it has been four years? Do you think a notable percentage of those who voted for it, now regret it? Or do they stand by it?

We talk about the US a lot (arguably too much), so it would be interesting to discuss this, if anyone is interested.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What do you think about Brexit now that it has been four years? Do you think a notable percentage of those who voted for it, now regret it? Or do they stand by it?

We talk about the US a lot (arguably too much), so it would be interesting to discuss this, if anyone is interested.
oh I feel very comfortable saying that a clear majority would vote against Brexit now. All the issues that made Brexit appealing to a lot of folks have happened anyway. Meanwhile the economy is much weaker, access to Europe is tougher. Ask anyone and they would be hard pressed to tell you any benefits. It's exactly what I thought it would be. I wasn't unaware or indifferent to some of the concerns regarding the EU, I just knew Britain would be worse off outside.

It's also led to the destruction of the political parties. They're not what they once were. I've voted Conservative all my life. I'm not sure I can vote for them in the next election. How is it possible that the two most traditional Conservative politicians are a woman of Mauritian Indian heritage and a woman of Nigerian heritage. But this is where we are. Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch. Personally I would vote for Kemi Badenoch for Prime Minister in a heartbeat. As for the leaders of the major parties, Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer both frighteningly uninspiring and have questionable competence. In summary it's an utter shit show

tented

Administrator
Reactions
oh I feel very comfortable saying that a clear majority would vote against Brexit now. All the issues that made Brexit appealing to a lot of folks have happened anyway. Meanwhile the economy is much weaker, access to Europe is tougher.

I saw a news show which described how many problems people in the UK have had in terms of selling/buying items with the EU, especially those who work with perishable goods. This may sound silly, but one example was people who grow flowers and depend on selling them to EU countries. With Brexit, getting goods out of the UK has slowed down to the point where their flowers are now ruined, and they’ve lost their money. This must also be happening to farmers, etc.

Ask anyone and they would be hard pressed to tell you any benefits. It's exactly what I thought it would be. I wasn't unaware or indifferent to some of the concerns regarding the EU, I just knew Britain would be worse off outside.

This is where I figured you and others would now be, especially several years into it.

Is there any call to ”Euro-in”?

It's also led to the destruction of the political parties. They're not what they once were. I've voted Conservative all my life. I'm not sure I can vote for them in the next election. How is it possible that the two most traditional Conservative politicians are a woman of Mauritian Indian heritage and a woman of Nigerian heritage. But this is where we are. Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch. Personally I would vote for Kemi Badenoch for Prime Minister in a heartbeat. As for the leaders of the major parties, Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer both frighteningly uninspiring and have questionable competence. In summary it's an utter shit show

I wasn’t aware of this effect on the political parties, but it makes sense. You don‘t particularly like Sunak, then?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw a news show which described how many problems people in the UK have had in terms of selling/buying items with the EU, especially those who work with perishable goods. This may sound silly, but one example was people who grow flowers and depend on selling them to EU countries. With Brexit, getting goods out of the UK has slowed down to the point where their flowers are now ruined, and they’ve lost their money. This must also be happening to farmers, etc.

This is where I figured you and others would now be, especially several years into it.

I wasn’t aware of this effect on the political parties, but it makes sense. You don‘t particularly like Sunak, then?
I think it’s too early to judge Brexit. It’s only a few years, and there’s been a pandemic and a major war in Europe since then. I’d give it time. I think the reasons why many people voted for brexit still exist, and so it’s not impossible that the vote would still go for it. It would be knee jerk to have another vote on this so quickly…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

Nah... there isn't a great push to get back in. I think there's collective exhaustion about the whole thing. Frankly there are larger issues now which I don't believe would be resolved by going back in. I think folks are too distracted by the current state of affairs for there to be any collective push to get back in. As it happens Europe has major problems of its own. Not least the lack of innovation and the loss of German export supremacy. I don't see any compelling reason to go back.

Lol! Sunak? He's a disaster. I can't say he's worse than Boris. He's just not better, and he's certainly not the answer. Neither is Keir Starmer. Now if Kemi Badenoch was in there? There's a person with balls (in a non-trans way of course!). We need someone who can unleash us, for now we just have to brace ourselves for the coming Labour government. Hopefully they do so badly that a new revitalised Tory party rises from the ashes and sweeps them out at the end of the decade. That's pretty much all we have to hope for at this point

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah... there isn't a great push to get back in. I think there's collective exhaustion about the whole thing. Frankly there are larger issues now which I don't believe would be resolved by going back in. I think folks are too distracted by the current state of affairs for there to be any collective push to get back in. As it happens Europe has major problems of its own. Not least the lack of innovation and the loss of German export supremacy. I don't see any compelling reason to go back.

Lol! Sunak? He's a disaster. I can't say he's worse than Boris. He's just not better, and he's certainly not the answer. Neither is Keir Starmer. Now if Kemi Badenoch was in there? There's a person with balls (in a non-trans way of course!). We need someone who can unleash us, for now we just have to brace ourselves for the coming Labour government. Hopefully they do so badly that a new revitalised Tory party rises from the ashes and sweeps them out at the end of the decade. That's pretty much all we have to hope for at this point
I think a move to Kemi is long overdue. If they got behind her she’ll do a great job.

The UK is kind of like Ireland now in terms of the opposition to a weak government: we might end up with a similarly defunct and rudderless party of the far left, Sinn Fein…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There was always something strange about that case. I wonder if we'll ever get to know? What's your gut feeling?
the woman in the clip makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. The truth is often very simple. But if that's the case then those parents... jeepers!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the woman in the clip makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. The truth is often very simple. But if that's the case then those parents... jeepers!
Agreed. If what she's saying is correct (and my gut feeling is the same as yours), then the fallout would be pretty intense.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
“Why didn’t they simply walk farther away from the piano?” — that’s good. Or “Why didn’t they simply stay inside?”
Very bizzare behaviour on several fronts. Like you say, why didn't they walk away? and then the guy asked them if they were from China (they were holding Chinese flags) upon which they were saying he was racist... then he points at the flag in her hand, and the Chinese guy implies it's some sort of assault. The behaviour by the cop was also very strange.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Next they'll ramp up the "Conscription" narrative, because "Pootin is bad". I wonder if there will be a stampede of women demanding equal quotas for that roll call.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2441
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 8139
britbox World Affairs 45