UK Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What a remarkable thing...

Prime Minister of the UK has origins in the Indian Sub-continent.

And now the leader of the Scottish party in power also has origins from the Indian Sub-continent!

Has any thing ever happened like this before in a Western country?

FYI.. I see nothing wrong with it. Just noting it

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
What a remarkable thing...

Prime Minister of the UK has origins in the Indian Sub-continent.

And now the leader of the Scottish party in power also has origins from the Indian Sub-continent!

Has any thing ever happened like this before in a Western country?

FYI.. I see nothing wrong with it. Just noting it
This trend existed for some time already, e.g. in popular culture. Example Deutchland by Remmstein video. Who would have thought of portraying Germania by black acrtess Ruby Commey? Yet it happened and that was in 2019. Smart move by Remmstein guys, who by doing so, left no doubt in viewers' minds that their song is not about German nationalism or fascism, but about the emotions of an average German today. that also includes black Germans.
Fast forward only 3+ years, and politics in UK caught the same trend.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
@Federberg - Would be interested in your take on what is happening with the SNP right now?
lol! First of all let me just say that no one was more surprised than me to see that her partner was a bloke. I'd just assumed she was a lesbian. No issue with that. Just saying that was my perception of Sturgeon.

She's effectively set back the independence movement for multiple political cycles in my view. The SNP is a complete mess now. Can't say I pay more attention to Scotland than that to be honest. Is there something I'm missing?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The veil will lift on all these vaccine fraudsters.

One by one.
Britbox , i met people at a New England Patriots pre game rally who worked in vaccine testing at a hospital , they confirmed what other personnel had told me, data on negative reactions to vaccines was deliberately suppressed. Too many “financial” considerations.

Reactions: britbox

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Britbox , i met people at a New England Patriots pre game rally who worked in vaccine testing at a hospital , they confirmed what other personnel had told me, data on negative reactions to vaccines was deliberately suppressed. Too many “financial” considerations.
This is interesting because there’s a sense of unravelling happening here. In the US they openly brag on government websites about the need to deliberately suppress negative stories, which is a sign of hubris which tells us that they will disregard the health of their people in favour of political gain.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Does anyone plan on watching King Charles III’s coronation tomorrow? I’ll watch. It’s not something which happens that often.

Reactions: Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This falls to me in the category of interesting or somewhat historical but not compelling enough to make me get up at an ungodly hour to see it “live”.

Can watch recaps, reruns & youtube videos after a full cup of coffee.

Now a live tennis match is another matter..

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This falls to me in the category of interesting or somewhat historical but not compelling enough to make me get up at an ungodly hour to see it “live”.

Can watch recaps, reruns & youtube videos after a full cup of coffee.

Now a live tennis match is another matter..
I’m going to DVR it, and watch it later. Live is too early for me too.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was interesting to watch. I was struck by how entwined the coronation conventions are with the Anglican chuch, and the oaths declared - not only by the King,

The parade was very impressive.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m going to DVR it, and watch it later. Live is too early for me too.
I went for it, because I do have an English friend who wanted to text during, and fussed me into it. I am no monarchist, but I do like a bit of live pageantry, and it's nice to watch an historical event where no bombs go off and no one gets shot. May be the only coronation of an English king in my lifetime. (They tend to live long lives, those Windsors.) The music was pretty good. Nice attempts at inclusion. Loved that Princess Anne snuck out the back door, changed her togs and jumped on a horse for the procession out. Also, this made me laugh. Some journalist tweeted it, with the comment that winning the internet probably broke with some 16th C. tradition:

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 10.53.16 AM.png

Reactions: tented and britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was interesting to watch. I was struck by how entwined the coronation conventions are with the Anglican chuch, and the oaths declared - not only by the King,

The parade was very impressive.
I noticed the same. It's almost like they are defensively emphasizing that Henry the VIII wasn't wrong, just because he broke with the Catholic church because he wanted a divorce. They said "Protestant" a lot. Historically interesting.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Leo Varadkar is like a Trudeau-lite kind of fella, so imagine really how vacuous and bimbo-ish he must be. He’s an embarrassment generally, this thing didn’t surprise me…
I hearya, though i confess as “private” texts those coronation instagram posts were hilarious….

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I hearya, though i confess as “private” texts those coronation instagram posts were hilarious….
I just wonder about why we have people there representing us who think this is okay. They’re our neighbours, it was a huge day for them, and our Taoiseach’s (prime minister) partner was acting like a fool, mocking them. :facepalm:

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I just wonder about why we have people there representing us who think this is okay. They’re our neighbours, it was a huge day for them, and our Taoiseach’s (prime minister) partner was acting like a fool, mocking them. :facepalm:
“… private group of more than 350 followers.” Did he really think all 350 people were going to keep these private? Politicians can be incredibly naive.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
“… private group of more than 350 followers.” Did he really think all 350 people were going to keep these private? Politicians can be incredibly naive.
Arrogant might describe them better. We have a lousy Proportional Representation system of voting here that makes it almost impossible get them out of power..

Reactions: tented
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2443
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 8186
britbox World Affairs 46