3. Caroline Wozniaki
4. Johanna Konta
5. Dominika Cibulkova
6. Agnieska Radwanska
7. Angelique Kerber
8. Kristina Mladendovic

toray-pan-pacific-open-1.jpg

The Tournament:

The tournament was first held in 1976 as the Sillook Open in Tokyo. In 1982 it was renamed the TV Tennis Open and in 1983 it changed yet again to the Queens Grand Prix. Its current name, the Pan Pacific Open, was designated in 1984 and had traditionally been played on indoor carpet. In 2008 the event moved to outdoor hard courts at the Ariake Coliseum. It was classified as a Tier I tournament from 1993 through 2008. Then it was a Premier 5 tournament until it was downgraded to a Premier event from the 2014 edition onwards, with the Wuhan Open in Wuhan, China acting as its replacement. Martina Hingis holds the record for most singles titles with five.

About City

Tokyo is the capital of Japan, since 1603. It is the most populous metropolitan area in the world. It is also ranked as one of the most powerful financial capitals, and amongst the most influential in culture. Tokyo ranked first in the Global Economic Power Index and fourth in the Global Cities Index. Additionally, it is an astonishing mix of old-world, and 21st Century.

gettyimages-460020702.jpg

places.tokyo.jpg
tokyo-asakusa.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a very competitive field. With so few points between top players, it could be very interesting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Pan Pacific Open Women's Singles Round 1 matches on Monday

Wang Qiang (China) beat 8-Kristina Mladenovic (France) 6-0 6-0
7-Angelique Kerber (Germany) beat Naomi Osaka (Japan) 6-3 6-4
Kurumi Nara (Japan) beat Yulia Putintseva (Kazakhstan) 2-6 6-4 6-2

Kerber navigates a tricky first rounder.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Poor Kristina, she lost her tennis....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Pan Pacific Open Women's Singles Round 2 matches on Thursday

3-Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) beat Shelby Rogers (U.S.) 4-6 6-1 6-4
5-Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) beat Katerina Siniakova (Czech Republic) 6-2 6-2
Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic) beat 4-Johanna Konta (Britain) 7-5 7-6(5)
9-Caroline Garcia (France) beat Kurumi Nara (Japan) 6-1 6-3

Tough match for Caro.

Strycova takes out Konta.

and Cibby wins :hoops:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Pan Pacific Open Women's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

1-Garbine Muguruza Blanco (Spain) beat 9-Caroline Garcia (France) 6-2 6-4
7-Angelique Kerber (Germany) beat 2-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 7-6(5) 7-5
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia) beat Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic) 5-7 6-3 6-1

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Caro won the battle of the amazons - hope you saw the match it's great!
DKU9wTTXcAEEjEY.jpg

Nice picture
DKVMdsSW4AAAtBt.jpg

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Pan Pacific Open Women's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

3-Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) beat 5-Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 3-6 7-6(5) 3-1 (Cibulkova retired)
1-Garbine Muguruza Blanco (Spain) beat 9-Caroline Garcia (France) 6-2 6-4
7-Angelique Kerber (Germany) beat 2-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 7-6(5) 7-5
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia) beat Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic) 5-7 6-3 6-1

Two of my faves in head to head action, with Caro taking out Cibby.

Garbine and Angie also progress:

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Woz must have thought of the time in Denmark - around 07.00 where we useually have breakfast - so what's a natural thing to do - bring a bagel. Second time in her career she's beaten a #1 - first was Pliskova in Toronto - and then today where she humiliated Muguruza 62 60 - go girl win that final.
DKY8okCXUAAXbwW.jpg

Reactions: lomaha

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wasn't aware they'd even played that match yet @Hoergren - thanks for the update. That's a huge win against the new world number #1.

Let's hope Caro can actually put it together in a final!

Reactions: lomaha

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As noone else is interested in bringing the result I will - 60 75 for Caroline. A pity you start a blog about Toray PPO and doesn't finish it Moxie.

Woz 2.0 - as I call Caro this year, as she has undergone so many improvements, and it takes time to settle in - the new routines - is nearly finished. With serving a bagel in the end of the semi and in the beginning of the final and a fabulous varied gameplay, she won her title in the 7th final, on the 7th day of the tournament and in their 7th meeting - don't tell me I'm superstitious, but it helps. Not since Davenport in 2003 and 2004 the here has been a back to back winner i Toray PPO.

And the latest: SInce Mladenovic lost in Wuhan she's qualified for the WTA championships in SIngapore
DKd8zGBWkAAdUTM.jpg
qualified

Reactions: kskate2 and lomaha

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As noone else is interested in bringing the result I will - 60 75 for Caroline. A pity you start a blog about Toray PPO and doesn't finish it Moxie.

Woz 2.0 - as I call Caro this year, as she has undergone so many improvements, and it takes time to settle in - the new routines - is nearly finished. With serving a bagel in the end of the semi and in the beginning of the final and a fabulous varied gameplay, she won her title in the 7th final, on the 7th day of the tournament and in their 7th meeting - don't tell me I'm superstitious, but it helps. Not since Davenport in 2003 and 2004 the here has been a back to back winner i Toray PPO.

And the latest: SInce Mladenovic lost in Wuhan she's qualified for the WTA championships in SIngapore
DKd8zGBWkAAdUTM.jpg
qualified
Congratulations to your girl, Caro, @Hoergren! This isn't a blog. It's a posting to open the conversation about the tournament. I opened it, and you closed it. All good, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's not Moxies or anyones responsibility to sit up and watch a match. Nobody else initiated the conversation about this tournament so I'd thank her for doing so.

Congrats to Caro on breaking that finals trend.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I "hear" what you say Moxie and Britbox but if you open a thread - is that better? - I always closed it on TennisFrontier even if I hadn't any interest in it. You've - in TennisProse - done a bad job making it impossible to update a post with schedule in with the results when they are available. You could also move a post so it came to the end of the thread - not possible anymore. That's why I never open a thread here anymore. So agin I - in MHO - say you have to close a thread you've started, and you may think of it the way you like - there has been a few louse (pardon me) comments in this thread: Oh they have played - which is easy to control with the WTA ap - so Caro actually one - gameset - come on - again use the WTA App say something or keep quiet. Well a little to think about for the non administrated forum - I like Tennisfrontier better MHO.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK - you should now be able to edit a post for three days after it's been originally posted which should solve your first issue. On the other one, don't remember posters being able to move posts to become the last one in a thread on Tennis Frontier. I set that forum up originally and it was always date threaded - last post was the last one posted by date/time.

Nearly all the threads get closed off by somebody or another with the final result. I don't think the onus should necessarily fall on the thread originator - certainly not within hours of the match being played. Maybe they were out for the day or evening - you should be mindful of timezone differences.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK Britbox - I maybe not moved the post, but marked the post and copied the content - then sometimes deleted the post and made a new post and inserted contents from the old post. I'm aware of timezones - I posted the result from Japan nearly 7 hours after the event. So in general use the WTA app. If I can edit a posting up till three days after I'll begin to start threads again - exept for the overrated slams and their boring games - compared to tournaments like Toray PPO which had a lot of brilliant matches - and it's NOT because Caroline went all the way. Mandatory events - well no I don't think so they have also a tendency against the boring side. Another thing why not ask forum members if anyone will be master of a tournament - that is activate forum members instead. And insert pictures it's the easiest thing to do along with small video clips etc. In the news and gossip section you SHOULDN't discuss like a "few" have done - make a comment and that's it . If you want to discuss make a new thread -PLEASE. Well over and out from the old Danish nisse - yeah 68 I am - and partly retired.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another thing why not ask forum members if anyone will be master of a tournament - that is activate forum members instead. And insert pictures it's the easiest thing to do along with small video clips etc. In the news and gossip section you SHOULDN't discuss like a "few" have done - make a comment and that's it . If you want to discuss make a new thread -PLEASE. Well over and out from the old Danish nisse - yeah 68 I am - and partly retired.

There's nothing wrong with making a poster a "master," if you like, of a tournament thread. Plenty of posters have put up threads for tournaments that we have neglected. But us putting up a thread for a tournament doesn't proscribe anyone from posting schedules, videos or results. Am I wrong about that @britbox ? @Hoergren: please know that we're just trying to make the best enjoyment for everyone on these boards. It's a lot of work. If you want to take up some of the slack where you think we're falling down, send me a PM. Maybe we can work something out. But do be fair: we wake up in different time zones. And we all have real work that we do. This is a hobby. We do the best we can for the community, but we also expect the community to step up to the task. If there's a result you're not seeing, you can post it, as you did. Don't feel slighted...just take responsibility! This is your forum, too.