Top level chess

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
:laydownlaughing

I'm loving the trash talking between Magnus and Hikaru...

Hikaru in an interview in Norway:
"I think Magnus’ style of play is boring and I find other players more interesting. Myself, I’m a romantic, and I love to see people take chances. Magnus constantly reduces risk instead, maximizing opportunities when they come."

Magnus in an interview later:

"Today I played "Nakamura chess" and that just isn't enough."

I'm soooo looking forward to that match up in a few days. My most eagerly awaited match of the year. If it's anything like Zurich last year, it's going to be epic!

Naka's trash talking is ridiculous. Who talks trash about someone that owns you so badly? I'd expect Carlsen to beat him like always.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Magnus has had a terrible start. 2 losses in a row! Will he go on one of his usual barn storming runs now?

Agreed about Naka, but it's good box office :D

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Shocking start but it's early. Wouldn't surprise anyone to see him rip off 4 or 5 in a row.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! 3 losses and 1 draw for Magnus now. A loss of 20 rating points. What is going on? Has he finally met some hot chica?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, pretty solid play by Anand. Magnus was outplayed start to finish, it's rare that he looks so helpless.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Magnus finishes with another disaster and ends at 2 wins, 4 losses and 3 draws. Definitely his worst tournament in many many years and probably the worst tournament a reigning world champion has had for a long time. I'm guessing that will cost him at least 25 rating points. But I don't see it as significant in the long run, this should just serve as a wake up call for him.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was an absolute shocker. I can understand the losses against Vishy and Fabiano, but his play against Hammer was just... bizarre. Perhaps he's taken his eye of the ball, and now he can be a bit more understanding of what Vishy went through. Definitely a wake up call! I'm sure he'll come out swinging next time around