Top level chess

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Thought since the other chess thread is specifically for the World Championship I would create a chess thread. Anyone see the So - Akobian game in the US championships today? Wesley taps out after 6 moves??? What the heck is going on?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh wow! Just found out he was forfeited for note taking on his score sheet. He'd been warned about that previously and did it again. Duh!

He's surely out of the top ten by now. I'm tempted to go to the Wesley So page on chessgames.com and take on some of those trolls! :D

But it's a bit sad, he's a nice guy. Welcome to top level chess buddy!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe a not so nice Wesley So!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/what-is-wrong-with-wesley-so?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Particularly his comments after beating Kamsky. Totally agree with Hikaru's tweet...

Hikaru Nakamura @GMHikaru · 11h 11 hours ago
Very shameful and disrespectful comments by So about Varuzhan Akobian. Blame everyone except yourself for breaking the rules.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
For chess nuts. Here's Wesley So's response to his own mother following the US Championships. Very dysfunctional family!

Let me state right at the top of this that I write my own emails and NO ONE controls my communication, or when and how I choose to communicate. I am not cut off, isolated, drugged, in bondage or kidnapped. I do not belong to anyone but God. I am a man who wishes to be let alone to find his own life.
Leny So, I was NOT HAPPY that you suddenly showed up in my life, unannounced, at the biggest tournament of the year, and that you came with Susan Leonard whom I hardly know. In the last six years I’ve only see you once a year for about a week, I hardly know you either. And you certainly don’t know me to even suggest that I am anyone’s personal zombie.
All your statements to Chessdom are sad, ridiculous and completely untrue. You exposed my emails? Should I send out a few of the many you’ve sent me over the years where you call me putang ina mo (kinda funny that) and threaten me with being cut off from the So family forever if I do not do what you want?
Photos can lie and those do. I was desperately trying to be nice hoping you and Susan would leave more quickly. I see it was a mistake. Lotis even invited you to come to Minnesota to talk to me there, not here. What was your answer to her? You asked if she was going to pay for it.
I am uncomfortable around you. You want me to respect you but you have never respected me. You left me when I was sixteen, telling me to become a man and find my life. Well I have found it, you just don’t like it.
For your information it was not the Key family who wanted to go to the media. It was me who pushed them to speak out for me because I was going crazy with anger, after you revealed to us your involvement with Paul Truong (come on, you know you told me right here in my room that he had given you my flight information, arrival time and room number). You insisted that was all it was and you never met him or saw him. Yet right there on Chessdom are pictures of you posing at Webster.
Calling your room to check if you had left yet, the operator would not give me the information unless I gave them the name of the person in the room. I tried your name. No. I tried Susan’s name. No. Then I guessed Paul Truong and yup, the operator told me that was the name on the credit card. She even spelled it out for me.
That was when I had you banned from the Chess Club because you were lying to me from the moment you said hello. The stress of finding out your betrayal ruined my tournament.
Screaming curses at me in the street, grabbing my arms and trying to drag me along with you? Humiliating me in public? Your way of showing love? And you think it strange that I ask people I trust to be with me all the time? I ask the Key family to accompany me to tournaments to help me. It does not isolate me, it protects me.
Stop blaming our terrible family relationship on the innocent family that has provided me with help and support. They took me in when I needed someone and have worked hard to guide and nurture me. They take nothing at all from me and you know that. They are always there for me helping me at great inconvenience to their own lives, and instead of thanking them you have maligned and smeared them to make yourself look like a loving, concerned mother. Lotis was always advising me to try and repair my relationship with you and I could never explain why I just can’t. At least now she can see it for herself.
So how about my bank account numbers please? You know? My life savings you said were keeping for me when I was a minor? I have already contacted Royal Bank of Canada, and strangely, the bulk of my savings is not there. Want to explain that publicly?
And those furious emails I sent you were certainly not written during match times because I wrote them myself, here in my hotel room. The Key family never even saw, or knew about them.
Wesley So

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Magnus really starting to pull away from Fabiano in the h2h. If Fab can't stop this ownage, he'll suffer a psychological deficit against Magnus. Perhaps we should turn to Giri or So for Magnus's ultimate challenge. Scary thought... his real challenger isn't even born yet!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Other chess related news, Nigel Short suggests that women just aren't hard-wired to compete with men at the top level.

His words echo the controversial statement from Kasparov that “women, by their nature, are not exceptional chess players: they are not great fighters”.

It's observable, but to come out and say it? :popcorn

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Short put it in a more provocative way than Kasparov did which is actually kind of surprising. Kasparov is spot on even if it is considered "sexism" by women. The best chess players, predominantly male, are usually the kind that want to rip the opponent's head off so to speak. I don't think we will see a female player like Kasparov, Fischer and all the other crazy, egotistical competitors the game has produced. We won't see it in skill and certainly not personality, it'd be a scary thing.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Short put it in a more provocative way than Kasparov did which is actually kind of surprising. Kasparov is spot on even if it is considered "sexism" by women. The best chess players, predominantly male, are usually the kind that want to rip the opponent's head off so to speak. I don't think we will see a female player like Kasparov, Fischer and all the other crazy, egotistical competitors the game has produced. We won't see it in skill and certainly not personality, it'd be a scary thing.

The irony is that Judit Polgars style contains more concentrated aggression than most top level male players. Perhaps she's the exception but to be honest I think it's more to do with nurture than nature. When you consider that the Polgar sisters were home schooled as well..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Beautiful game by Anand against So. Amazed to see that knight sac innovation in that line of the Spanish. I thought Wesley was either brave or nuts to willingly go into Anand prep :nono

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/checkmate-how-british-grandmaster-nigel-short-became-a-pawn-20150422-1mqf27.html

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And for those who didn't see the actual original article...

http://en.chessbase.com/post/vive-la-diffrence-the-full-story

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

The irony is that Judit Polgars style contains more concentrated aggression than most top level male players. Perhaps she's the exception but to be honest I think it's more to do with nurture than nature. When you consider that the Polgar sisters were home schooled as well..

True, but I don't necessarily equate the fierceness of a competitor or fighting ability (in Kasparov's words) based on style of play. Spassky was a more aggressive player than Fischer. Tal was more aggressive than Kasparov. But while Kasparov and Fischer are the crazy competitive, egotistical maniacs, Spassky and Tal are/were considered a couple of the gentlemen of the game.

Also, Polgar is just one woman and it's not like she was close to being better than the very top guys. She beat Short a lot but check her record vs. Kasparov, Karpov, Kramnik and Anand. It isn't pretty.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
Beautiful game by Anand against So. Amazed to see that knight sac innovation in that line of the Spanish. I thought Wesley was either brave or nuts to willingly go into Anand prep :nono

That was an awesome display by Anand. The Carlsen game was fantastic as well.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:
DarthFed said:

True, but I don't necessarily equate the fierceness of a competitor or fighting ability (in Kasparov's words) based on style of play. Spassky was a more aggressive player than Fischer. Tal was more aggressive than Kasparov. But while Kasparov and Fischer are the crazy competitive, egotistical maniacs, Spassky and Tal are/were considered a couple of the gentlemen of the game.

Also, Polgar is just one woman and it's not like she was close to being better than the very top guys. She beat Short a lot but check her record vs. Kasparov, Karpov, Kramnik and Anand. It isn't pretty.

Yes that's true. She is an outlier for sure, but she also shows what is possible. I still think it's more nurture than nature. It's like swimming. You don't see many black Africans winning medals at the Olympics, but does that mean they aren't capable? I don't think so, it's not a popular past time. There is no culture or history of swimming as sporting achievement so the most capable don't seek it as a challenge. I think the same applies for women and chess at the moment. What was different about the Polgar sisters is the fact that their father trained them to be the best. I don't believe it ever occurred to them that because they were women they couldn't be successful and in Judit's case she was spectacularly successful.

PS, I don't think she ever beat Magnus in classical, but I think being a top 10 player at her peak is good enough. Not everyone can be number 1

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

That was an awesome display by Anand. The Carlsen game was fantastic as well.

Yes. I just love Magnus' style. He eliminates counter play and the opposition collapses. I get so frustrated by some of the old timers who say that he's the product of the computer era. His style is the exact opposite of that really

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you heard of this kid Jonah Willow?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3050670/Home-schooled-chess-prodigy-12-stuns-Russian-grandmaster-four-times-age-beating-three-times-tournament.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

couldn't find any of his games on the chessgames.com site

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlsen really dominating at the Gashimov Memorial 2015. He's slowy inching his Elo up towards 2900. That would be something to see. Can't wait for the So - Carlsen encounter tomorrow :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Didn't see the game yet but Kramnik seems to be on his way out. He has been dreadful the last year now.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Yes agreed. I guess the 2013 Candidates was the last time he was seriously in the running in a super tournament. Sad really, at his best he played with such... power