The Small Screen: TV

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good catch. I liked True Romance, I should refresh my memory, watched it a long time ago. Cristopher Walken in a scene where he talks about how Sicilians were spawned by niggers comes to my mind first. I wonder if because of this scene he was also chosen to do the ''Watch scene'' in Pulp Fiction when he talks to young Butch.
Possibly. Tarantino wrote True Romance, and wrote and directed Pulp Fiction. He always had his favourites. Heck, Harvey Keitel probably owes Tarantino his mortgage.

Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm 4 episodes in, this is good stuff. Thanks for posting it. Now that I'm replying, what was the name of the show that you mentioned a few pages back, I can't find it? I think it was about some virus which swept the earth and a handful of people that survived. That is all I remember.
“The Last of Us” with Pedro Pascal & Bella Ramsey , just aired the season finale episode here in the States.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
“The Last of Us” with Pedro Pascal & Bella Ramsey , just aired the season finale episode here in the States.
So that's the one. I'll watch it soon when I get home now that the whole season is out. Pedro Pascal seems to be a top choice for TV series cast in a last few years. Game of Thrones, Narcos and now The Last of Us.

Reactions: Jelenafan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pedro Pascal is a quality actor. Pretty versatile considering his body of work. The Game of Thrones scene is still pretty eye watering.

Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So that's the one. I'll watch it soon when I get home now that the whole season is out. Pedro Pascal seems to be a top choice for TV series cast in a last few years. Game of Thrones, Narcos and now The Last of Us.
Seems Pascal is everywhere at once these days.

Ironically “ The Mandalorian” gave hin the most public exposure here in the US and you cant even see his face , its all his voice and body language.

Simultaneously , he was hilarious in last year’s black comedy action flick, “ the Unbearable Weight of massive talent” where Nicholas Cage sends us his whole public image of, well, being Nicholas Cage. The two of them are comedy gold.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seems Pascal is everywhere at once these days.

Ironically “ The Mandalorian” gave hin the most public exposure here in the US and you cant even see his face , its all his voice and body language.
Yes, how could I forget this one. When I started watching it I had no idea he was in it, I just turned it on and felt there was a familiar voice under the armor & helmet. Later I realized it was him and thought it was cool once I knew that he was The Mandalorian.
Simultaneously , he was hilarious in last year’s black comedy action flick, “ the Unbearable Weight of massive talent” where Nicholas Cage sends us his whole public image of, well, being Nicholas Cage. The two of them are comedy gold.
Sounds good, I'll check on this.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think someone has already weighed in on "Succession," but I didn't go back to look. I know critics say it's well-written, but the characters are so unlikeable. Should I really press forward?

I enjoyed The Night Agent, though maybe a bit over-rated. Still, fun.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think someone has already weighed in on "Succession," but I didn't go back to look. I know critics say it's well-written, but the characters are so unlikeable. Should I really press forward?

I enjoyed The Night Agent, though maybe a bit over-rated. Still, fun.
I’ve always called it “Game of Thrones with emotional scarring”. The writing is sharp even if i find the series highly overrated.

This Season 4 is the last, which is just about right because these characters are relentlessly without any redeeming virtues. Its exhausting to watch them and its getting old watching all these plot-driven mega billion deals/mergers that never seem to close. Ever.

Kendal the second son is such a scarred emotionally traumatized idiot who now thinks he is somehow deep and spiritual while wearing his Tom Fords.

Shiv, the lone daughter is the textbook example of why some people should never marry , but then again her mother who intermittently appears is the textbook example of why some people should never have children.

The Youngest son Roman is like a modern day Peter Pan, if PP was a sexually maladjusted man child with Daddy issues that never get resolved.

And of course Brian Cox as Logan the paterfamilias, a combination King Lear and the shark from “Jaws”.

Having said that, the comic moments hit their targets unerringly , AND this weeks unexpected plot twist is going to force me to watch the rest of this season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’ve always called it “Game of Thrones with emotional scarring”. The writing is sharp even if i find the series highly overrated.

This Season 4 is the last, which is just about right because these characters are relentlessly without any redeeming virtues. Its exhausting to watch them and its getting old watching all these plot-driven mega billion deals/mergers that never seem to close. Ever.

Kendal the second son is such a scarred emotionally traumatized idiot who now thinks he is somehow deep and spiritual while wearing his Tom Fords.

Shiv, the lone daughter is the textbook example of why some people should never marry , but then again her mother who intermittently appears is the textbook example of why some people should never have children.

The Youngest son Roman is like a modern day Peter Pan, if PP was a sexually maladjusted man child with Daddy issues that never get resolved.

And of course Brian Cox as Logan the paterfamilias, a combination King Lear and the shark from “Jaws”.

Having said that, the comic moments hit their targets unerringly , AND this weeks unexpected plot twist is going to force me to watch the rest of this season.
I'm having a hard time taking that as a recommendation. ;) Basically, that's how all of the characters came off to me in the first episode.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm having a hard time taking that as a recommendation. ;) Basically, that's how all of the characters came off to me in the first episode.
Well yeah, they take the fun out of disfuncional.

Tell you what, I suggest you watch Episode 3 of this 4th season ( no need to watch the priors IMO) and then decide.

ETA: Your in the film biz, think “ROPE” aka editing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can’t recommend highly enough the Netflix series “Beef” about an escalating feud between a contractor (Danny) & a business owner (Amy) started by a typical Southern Cal thing: road rage.

its a black comedy/drama (that really goes dark) with deeply flawed characters yet (unlike “Succesion”) relatable who you see why they are the way they are.

Mostly an Asia American cast , so well acted, it touches on depression, class war fare, materialism, child rearing, artistic creativity, stay at home versus working moms, sibling & parental conflicts, etc, etc

Fantastic work from the leads Steve Yeun & Ali Wong.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There’s a top notch UK television series set in legal chambers, called Silk. We binged it years ago. A “Silk” is a barrister so rises to the top, a Queen’s Counsel as was in the show, now a King’s Counsel. Silk was a great show and we were thrilled to discover on YouTube no less a similar series worn by the same barrister, called North Square. They only made one season, which is too little.

But it’s similarly brilliant:

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I loved The Night Agent! I thought it was thoroughly engaging and fun. I heard it has been renewed for a second season.
Night agent was really fun. We started to call our toy poodle like that, cause he is on watch every night on our bed. :) (his real name is Pee Wee and the idea for the name came from the Pee-Wee Herman character)

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mostly an Asia American cast , so well acted, it touches on depression, class war fare, materialism, child rearing, artistic creativity, stay at home versus working moms, sibling & parental conflicts, etc, etc
You pretty much summed it up all. I enjoyed this show. Worth to add is that episodes are rather short, about 30 mins each, so the whole season is easy to watch.

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
Seemed appropriate for here...

4b3b2cdbfe807b766456af97fa9bf975.jpg

I always feel sort of guilty sitting inside watching tennis when the weather is glorious.

It's actually quite watchable.

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had big expectation for this TV Series, but ended up disappointed. Totally looks like a copy of The Walking Dead. It started well with episode or two and later turned to a soap opera with new characters appearing that I don't care about. They ticked all the boxes, gays, lesbos, pedos and boring dialogues.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Any Star Trek fans? I just finished watching the second season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It’s very good, with decent actors/actresses and fun storylines. I don’t want to say much more in case of spoilers.

Reactions: Jelenafan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Any Star Trek fans?
Off course :cool:
I just finished watching the second season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It’s very good, with decent actors/actresses and fun storylines. I don’t want to say much more in case of spoilers.
I watched the season 1 of Strange New Worlds. For me it is best Star Trek in a while. There is a Star Trek feel to it, like I'm watching the episodes from New Generation. It's just done right. I will download season 2 to watch once I board the vessel. They are trying to revive the franchise with Picard and Discovery. The latter I didn't watch, heard it's bad and Picard seems all about the action and not very convincing when Picard starts to swear and storyline is weak IMO.

Reactions: tented