THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY - Simultaneously Screening on AU Television

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a very unusual programming event occured nationally on australian television last evening.

Both rival TV networks albeit one is pay tv (Fox classics) broadcaster - playing THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY , a 1967 epic western at near the same prime time!

Fox classics channel -

8:35pm - 11:35pm

This masterpiece is perhaps the most stylish and ambitious western ever made. A man torments two gunslingers on a treasure hunt during the US Civil War. More Info

DIRECTOR: Sergio Leone
CAST: Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef
YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1967

The 9gem channel scheduling but was with commercial content:

8:40PM - 12:20AM

CC

REPEAT

A bounty hunting scam joins two men in an uneasy alliance against a third in a race to find a fortune in gold buried in a remote cemetery.

Western | USA/Italy | 1967 | MA

Really amazing given it is 54 year old movie, i don't recall this ever happening before - other than some sporting events.

Has this happened before in your neck of the woods, where the same movie was shown , almost simultaneously ?

Of the two screenings i went with 9gem as it broadcasts in HD , but , on the downside these comes filled with adds (you note it is 50 minutes longer than fox classics airing) and when they do come back from commercials, they put up annoying promos/adds of up-coming shows near the bottom right side of our screens about 10 seconds long.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love the music for that film.
That is a CLASSIC soundtrack, and also a completely ingenious re-invention of the Western. Look at the use of frame, and the watch "Pulp Fiction." Sergio Leone didn't just rethink the Western, he reimagined the language of the frame in wide-screen.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
That is a CLASSIC soundtrack, and also a completely ingenious re-invention of the Western. Look at the use of frame, and the watch "Pulp Fiction." Sergio Leone didn't just rethink the Western, he reimagined the language of the frame in wide-screen.
I'd agree about the piece of music. It's also good music to work to. I put music in 2 categories, music to sing to & music to work to. (I only waltz & twist so don't really dance.) I was going to say more but don't want to go too off-topic.

I will do when I get the chance. I'm very busy at the moment but keep taking time out for a break. I've got all my music to work to out as I need speeding up & cheering up. Bagpipes & accordions are what normally make me quicker & more efficient.

To compensate for going off-topic I'm sharing the music to the film.

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes still holds up to this day. For me it's a toss-up with TGTB&TU or Once Upon a Time in the West as to which is my favourite italian-USA western (also known as spaghetti-western).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes still holds up to this day. For me it's a toss-up with TGTB&TU or Once Upon a Time in the West as to which is my favourite italian-USA western (also known as spaghetti-western).
For me, no question, it's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in the West in many years, and I think I only saw it dubbed in Spanish, so I should revisit. :)

Reactions: Vince Evert

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
If I'm watching films about the American West I normally go for the few that are told from the Native American perspective because most are told from the cowboys perspective which show the Native Americans as the bad guys whereas if what I learnt about the American West in the last couple of years of High School for my school leavers certificate in history (along with history of medicine, foot-binding in China & the history of stage-coaching) was correct they definitely weren't the bad guys. They were nomadic people who didn't believe land should be owned. They followed the buffalo which they used for everything they needed to live. When they slaughtered the buffalo they used all of it for their needs except its heart which they buried because they believed if they did this & they were good while living they would join it in the happy hunting-ground in the sky. They lived peacefully with the mountain men (another group of people whose story is portrayed from their side. I think films about mountain men are restricted to Davy Crockett & you hardly see that.) I'll skip the home-steaders & gold prospecters who weren't too bad. Then the cattle ranchers cowboys came along killing the Native Americans, taking their land off them & forcing them onto reservations. A totally different story from what most films about the American West portray.

Note to any of the Americans on here: Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm working from memory here & haven't read anything about the American West for 14 years. I'll have to include something about that in the equine history research & report-writing task I'm doing for work but only have a DVD on it & need to cross-reference & for everything else I'm using book, DVD & internet sources. (I thought I'd finished that ages back & just needed to put finishing touches to it but then I find more information I need to add & keep finding even more. Sometimes I find a great deal more. Everyone else in the history team at work got a time period or topic like the Romans or the Plantagenets or the French Revolution. I got an entire branch of history spanning from millions of years before humans to the 1940's around the world & delving into equine art, science & poetry too. I also got told I had to use all the resources I had except my head which is hard for me as it's normally my go-to resource & I'm supposed to be using my head but not using my head. Lol. I want to add some things I know but haven't come across yet but can't because the only information I've got about them are in my head & I haven't found them in books, DVDs or the internet yet.) I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for books on the American West, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Movie is available on youtube in 16:9 widescreen format too

Reactions: Horsa