The Small Screen: TV

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Someone put me onto "The Good Place." Better than I expected. Any comedy that can make a whole story out of ethical philosophy has to get a look.
That sounds like it's just my cup of tea.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone watching "The Tourist?" I liked it very much.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven’t heard of it. Wha is it? Where are you watching it?
I watched on HBO Max, but it's a BBC series, and my friend saw it first on BBC and told me about it. Guy wakes up in a hospital in the Australian outback with amnesia, turns out he may have been mixed up with some bad types (surprise!), mysteries, thrills, great characters ensue. Sort of "Memento"-like. And the wide open spaces, long stretches of road of Australia is just gorgeous.

Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched on HBO Max, but it's a BBC series, and my friend saw it first on BBC and told me about it. Guy wakes up in a hospital in the Australian outback with amnesia, turns out he may have been mixed up with some bad types (surprise!), mysteries, thrills, great characters ensue. Sort of "Memento"-like. And the wide open spaces, long stretches of road of Australia is just gorgeous.

Yes, I watched it. Not to be confused with the Jonny Depp movie of the same name. I thought it was pretty good - some nice twists and turns in the plot. Jamie Dornan who plays the lead has been in a few good mini-series. He was good in "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, I watched it. Not to be confused with the Jonny Depp movie of the same name. I thought it was pretty good - some nice twists and turns in the plot. Jamie Dornan who plays the lead has been in a few good mini-series. He was good in "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson.
I thought Doman was very good in the film “ Belfast” up for best picture this year. It’s a coming of age film written & directed by Kenneth Branagh.. I’m a little surprised he didn’t get an Oscar nom for best supporting actor.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought Doman was very good in the film “ Belfast” up for best picture this year. It’s a coming of age film written & directed by Kenneth Branagh.. I’m a little surprised he didn’t get an Oscar nom for best supporting actor.
I loved that film, and I was just thinking of mentioning it on the film side. Agreed he was very good.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, I watched it. Not to be confused with the Jonny Depp movie of the same name.

Yeah, the Depp film immediately came to mind, so I’m glad you cleared up it’s not that.

I thought it was pretty good - some nice twists and turns in the plot. Jamie Dornan who plays the lead has been in a few good mini-series. He was good in "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson.

I loved “The Fall” — Dornan and Anderson were both great. There are a million TV series and films about serial killers these days, but this one is different. It’s not just a gory, violent depiction; it has psychological depth.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I liked The Fall too, saw it on Netflix, might watch it again cause I forgot most of it.

Did anyone watch ''The Innocent" Spanish TV series from last year? Can be found on Netflix, Mystery/Thriller, puzzling sort of stuff. Some of the actors in this TV series were in a really good spanish movie called "The Invisible Guest". I always explore stuff outside from US, often you bump to some good BBC (Trapped, Broadchurch) or Nordic TV series (The Bridge, The Killing) and recently more of the spanish (Money Heist) and italian (My Brilliant Friend, Gomorrah).

Best from US I watched recently are Mare of Easttown (HBO, love Kate Winslet) and Unbelievable (Netflix). Thought Maid (Netfllix) was a good drama too. I would also add Yellowjackets (Showtime production). I love how weird it is. Juliette Lewis and Cristina Ricci are awesome.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I liked The Fall too, saw it on Netflix, might watch it again cause I forgot most of it.

Did anyone watch ''The Innocent" Spanish TV series from last year? Can be found on Netflix, Mystery/Thriller, puzzling sort of stuff. Some of the actors in this TV series were in a really good spanish movie called "The Invisible Guest". I always explore stuff outside from US, often you bump to some good BBC (Trapped, Broadchurch) or Nordic TV series (The Bridge, The Killing) and recently more of the spanish (Money Heist) and italian (My Brilliant Friend, Gomorrah).

Best from US I watched recently are Mare of Easttown (HBO, love Kate Winslet) and Unbelievable (Netflix). Thought Maid (Netfllix) was a good drama too. I would also add Yellowjackets (Showtime production). I love how weird it is. Juliette Lewis and Cristina Ricci are awesome.
Thank you for this excellent watch-list. I've started The Fall, which others have recommended, too. Creepy and addictive. Thanks for the International suggestions, and do keep them coming. I have seen the Italian ones, and look forward to the Spanish ones. I know everyone loves the Nordic ones, and I am behind. I'll report back when I catch up, somewhat.

Reactions: don_fabio

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Succession is brutal. It has such a great cast and is so well written. You won’t be disappointed. HBO Max

Righteous Gemstones is so ridiculously funny and really puts a humorous take on all of the religious stereotypes. HBO Max

Babylon Berlin was a fantastic period detective drama set in Germany. Netflix

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe I haven't mentioned HBO's Station Eleven. Read the novel a few years back and while the miniseries plot deviates, in some ways I think it's an improvement.

It starts with a deadly pandemic (Yes I know) that decimates 99.9 % of the World's population. Among one of the subplots is a traveling theatrical company that puts on Shakespearian plays to the survivors along the Great Lakes Region. I guarantee you it's not as fey/whimsical as it sounds. Subplots seemingly dropped are connected by the conclusion, which makes some of the themes come full circle with the characters. Longings, regrets, remembrance of things lost, art as essential to life as much as mere survival, and yes, hope are some of those recurring themes. Just a beautiful series.

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe I haven't mentioned HBO's Station Eleven. Read the novel a few years back and while the miniseries plot deviates, in some ways I think it's an improvement.

It starts with a deadly pandemic (Yes I know) that decimates 99.9 % of the World's population. Among one of the subplots is a traveling theatrical company that puts on Shakespearian plays to the survivors along the Great Lakes Region. I guarantee you it's not as fey/whimsical as it sounds. Subplots seemingly dropped are connected by the conclusion, which makes some of the themes come full circle with the characters. Longings, regrets, remembrance of things lost, art as essential to life as much as mere survival, and yes, hope are some of those recurring themes. Just a beautiful series.
I loved Station Eleven!

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've just finished to watch The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix, I remember to see the movie but the serie is much better , hope they make a second season, very interesting and great acting of all of them

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you guys been watching The Boys? It's absolutely awesome. "With great power comes the absolute certainty that you'll turn into a right cunt!" is one of the great lines in modern film.

And don't get me started with the scene right at the end of Season 2, with Homelander up in the skies... I won't do any spoilers.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you guys been watching The Boys? It's absolutely awesome. "With great power comes the absolute certainty that you'll turn into a right cunt!" is one of the great lines in modern film.

And don't get me started with the scene right at the end of Season 2, with Homelander up in the skies... I won't do any spoilers.
My buddy has been trying to get me to watch it but I haven't made the time.. maybe later in the Fall or most likely the winter I may give it a try. Thanks

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I highly recommend it. I actually on decided to, after a 2nd buddy told me I should. That was about 10 days ago. I've watched all 3 series since then. If that tells you anything

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I highly recommend it. I actually on decided to, after a 2nd buddy told me I should. That was about 10 days ago. I've watched all 3 series since then. If that tells you anything
Federberg, why don’t you warn people that The Boys is dark with a capitol D ?

The caricature of Aquaman, “The Deep” is one of the most memorably inept villain characters whose “bond” with sea life has to be seen to be believed.

Dark, nihilistic and subversively hilarious. And graphic in both violence & sex, with pointed jabs at politics, organized religion, racism, elitism, corporate synergy ( read Disney), brand marketing, drug culture, fandom, etc. Have I mentioned it’s DARK ?
And yes, one of the best shows on TV.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Federberg, why don’t you warn people that The Boys is dark with a capitol D ?

The caricature of Aquaman, “The Deep” is one of the most memorably inept villain characters whose “bond” with sea life has to be seen to be believed.

Dark, nihilistic and subversively hilarious. And graphic in both violence & sex, with pointed jabs at politics, organized religion, racism, elitism, corporate synergy ( read Disney), brand marketing, drug culture, fandom, etc. Have I mentioned it’s DARK ?
And yes, one of the best shows on TV.
Ah! My bad! Did I need to do that? I tend to leave it for people to judge. Although I would suggest that the line that I quoted probably hints at the tone and style :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan