The Small Screen: TV

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Favorite TV Series

Well, anybody see House of Cards on Netflix?

I watched the first eleven episodes in one sitting - but haven't had time to watch the last two yet....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:

I watched the first eleven episodes in one sitting - but haven't had time to watch the last two yet....

Lol. :D

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I have been watching Cheers on Netflix. I was too young when it was on. But it is hilarious. Thanks for creating this new forum Britbox, Moxie, Nehmeth, and Tented!

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Kieran said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm intrigued because of the cast.

I mentioned this on the old thread, but it's worth restarting things over here:

My latest obsession is Homeland. Anyone watch that?

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Is it somehow possible to copy and paste the old thread about tv series from digitaltennis into this one? At least the postings? I thought that was a brillant thread, especially for someone who is not up to date with the newest tv series. Darth, Broken etc. provided some great stuff there.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

tented said:

I watched both series of Homeland. Myself and Darth discussed this on the last forum but one, I think it was. Did you watch every episode so far?

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

I am a sucker for mystery shows . I loved Sherlock holmes and watched that . Waiting for BBC Sherlock season 3 . Other shows I watch are Psych , Person of Interest and Elementary . POI is my favourate show right now , season 1 was magnificant

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Kieran said:
tented said:

I watched both series of Homeland. Myself and Darth discussed this on the last forum but one, I think it was. Did you watch every episode so far?

I have finally watched both. Season/series 2 is not as good. They get too fantastical and unbelievable, which is a shame, because I didn't get a sense of that in the first season. I won't post spoilers, but given how 2 ended, 3 will have to be as unbelievable, no?

tented

Administrator
Reactions

tennisville said:
I am a sucker for mystery shows . I loved Sherlock holmes and watched that . Waiting for BBC Sherlock season 3 . Other shows I watch are Psych , Person of Interest and Elementary . POI is my favourate show right now , season 1 was magnificant

I love Elementary. It's my favorite of the new shows. The chemistry between Holmes and Watson is terrific, and the writing is pretty intelligent for TV.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

tented said:
Kieran said:
tented said:

I have finally watched both. Season/series 2 is not as good. They get too fantastical and unbelievable, which is a shame, because I didn't get a sense of that in the first season. I won't post spoilers, but given how 2 ended, 3 will have to be as unbelievable, no?

Exactly. It's amazing how quickly that show jumped the shark. Previous fastest show was Lost, then Heroes, and now Homeland. Totally unbelievable second series, and you're right about the potential for the third series to be one we all just forget to watch...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
tented said:
Kieran said:
tented said:

Exactly. It's amazing how quickly that show jumped the shark. Previous fastest show was Lost, then Heroes, and now Homeland. Totally unbelievable second series, and you're right about the potential for the third series to be one we all just forget to watch...

Ouch! I wouldn't compare it to Lost yet but as you know I do share similar sentiments with you and Tented. There were some holes in the plot that weren't present in the 1st season.

I know my last few posts on the old board were about Spartacus. Does anyone else watch that show? I highly recommend it but if you have young ones around you should watch after they go to bed. Also if graphic violence and sex offends you it might not be worth watching. Even with the violence and sex the show had great substance. It's hard to watch and not become invested in the characters.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Ouch! I wouldn't compare it to Lost yet but as you know I do share similar sentiments with you and Tented. There were some holes in the plot that weren't present in the 1st season.

Well, Lost began to go doolally in series 2. That's when I began to get the feeling they were making it up as they went along. I tuned back in for the final season, to see how it ends.

It ended like an episode of The Breast Whisperer. :heart:

Sorry, I meant, The Ghost Whisperer. :D

DarthFed said:
I know my last few posts on the old board were about Spartacus. Does anyone else watch that show? I highly recommend it but if you have young ones around you should watch after they go to bed. Also if graphic violence and sex offends you it might not be worth watching. Even with the violence and sex the show had great substance. It's hard to watch and not become invested in the characters.

I enjoyed a few episodes of this, filmed in the style of the movie 300, it's kinda blood-crazed and sexy. It wasn't a show I felt compelled to follow, but I was sad to hear of the original actor who played Spartacus dying so young...

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

tented said:
tennisville said:

I love Elementary. It's my favorite of the new shows. The chemistry between Holmes and Watson is terrific, and the writing is pretty intelligent for TV.

agreed really . Its a fantastic show and the acting is fantastic . The twists of the plot are also fun and well written . If you love this show , I would recommand the BBC version called Sherlock . 6 episodes and all of them are good . Season 2 is actually better than season 1 on that show

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

Well, Lost began to go doolally in series 2. That's when I began to get the feeling they were making it up as they went along. I tuned back in for the final season, to see how it ends.

DarthFed said:

I enjoyed a few episodes of this, filmed in the style of the movie 300, it's kinda blood-crazed and sexy. It wasn't a show I felt compelled to follow, but I was sad to hear of the original actor who played Spartacus dying so young...

I'd advise watching at least the 1st season. If you watch only the first few episodes of season 1 you'll think it is just a crazy and entertaining show but it really becomes a lot more than that. The 2nd season was mediocre in large part due to the void left with the tragic passing of Andy Whitfeld. The replacement Spartacus was not good for most of season 2, but he really grew into it by season 3 and I thought he did a great job in the end. I've enjoyed a lot of shows and the series finale of any show is tricky in a sense and often ends up being bad or just "blah blah". The series finale of this show was just perfect if you know the actual history of what happened. Those who don't know the history seem to think it was the worst finale they've ever seen.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

We got Netflix, and watched all the excellent Waking the Dead series over the last couple months. Trevor Eve and Sue Johnston are magnificent in this, with Tara Fitzgerald (oh you liddle heartbreaker :heart:) joining for the final series.

Now we're starting on Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. Didn't watch that first time either.

Now, a gripe and a query in one: WTF! Netflix in America has something like a billion shows and movies and in Ireland it has about 800. Why? :mad:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I guess it is not a series per se, but LORD how I loved watching Match Game with gene Rayburn and the gang back in the 1970s! I have the Game Show Network and still laugh my arse off watching those old shows.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Figured it's a decent time to bump this one.

Game of Thrones has been very sloowww this season and it's already 6 episodes in with just 4 left. I know they are making 2 seasons for the 3rd book (this one and the next). I have not read the books and have no intention to as that will take away from the show, but I can't help but wonder if they should have just done 1 season for both books. It's not like the show has been bad or even close to it, and there's also the possibility the last four episodes will be amazing, but so far it's way below the first 2 seasons.

Meanwhile the Borgias has been outstanding this season. It really lacks popularity for some reason. It is already on its 3rd season so it's not really new. It's like a much better version of Tudors IMO. Both covering interesting history but the Borgias just has a lot quicker pace and Jeremy Irons is tremendous as the Pope.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

DarthFed said:

I'd advise watching at least the 1st season. If you watch only the first few episodes of season 1 you'll think it is just a crazy and entertaining show but it really becomes a lot more than that. The 2nd season was mediocre in large part due to the void left with the tragic passing of Andy Whitfeld. The replacement Spartacus was not good for most of season 2, but he really grew into it by season 3 and I thought he did a great job in the end. I've enjoyed a lot of shows and the series finale of any show is tricky in a sense and often ends up being bad or just "blah blah". The series finale of this show was just perfect if you know the actual history of what happened. Those who don't know the history seem to think it was the worst finale they've ever seen.

DarthFed, "they are very Nice, my Lord they are :blush: It think JLH got them insured for 1 mil each:heart:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Figured it's a decent time to bump this one.

Game of Thrones has been very sloowww this season and it's already 6 episodes in with just 4 left. I know they are making 2 seasons for the 3rd book (this one and the next). I have not read the books and have no intention to as that will take away from the show, but I can't help but wonder if they should have just done 1 season for both books. It's not like the show has been bad or even close to it, and there's also the possibility the last four episodes will be amazing, but so far it's way below the first 2 seasons.

Meanwhile the Borgias has been outstanding this season. It really lacks popularity for some reason. It is already on its 3rd season so it's not really new. It's like a much better version of Tudors IMO. Both covering interesting history but the Borgias just has a lot quicker pace and Jeremy Irons is tremendous as the Pope.

After tonight's Game of Thrones I take back what I said 100 times over. WOW is all I can say as it pretty much left me speechless.