The Revival of Grass Court Tennis

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good stuff, Frode, I completely agree on all accounts.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Just make Madrid an ISG. Rome is similar to RG in terms of surface. So, people would fall into a dilemma choosing between Rome and Madrid to play in if Rome is demoted. So, Madrid should be demoted.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Guys, masters tournaments should typically come before a grand slam tournament on that surface. Like Roma before RG and Cincy before USO. Similarly, a masters at Halle would be great IMO in this sense. What's the issue that you are seeing Frode?

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Halle if given mandatory status (should be given to replace another masters) will attract a great pool of players. They have the prerequisites in terms of stadia capacity. The setting looks pretty too. The grass there is better than Wimbledon. Should be a hit masters tournament shall it take place. What say??

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
shivashish said:
Halle if given mandatory status (should be given to replace another masters) will attract a great pool of players. They have the prerequisites in terms of stadia capacity. The setting looks pretty too. The grass there is better than Wimbledon. Should be a hit Masters tournament shall it take place. What say??

On another site we mused about making a grass prelim to Wimbledon Masters' status! I thought it was a little too soon before a major to make something mandatory! Borg or Nole won multiple titles, but never played any warmup events! If Roger, Andy, and Rafa want to receive appearance money for playing Halle, Queens, or any other tournament willing to pay; I just don't want to hear any whining about long seasons and being tired! :nono :rolleyes: :puzzled

Frode789

Club Member
Reactions
Website
www.citiesskylines-nation.com
shivashish said:
Guys, masters tournaments should typically come before a grand slam tournament on that surface. Like Roma before RG and Cincy before USO. Similarly, a masters at Halle would be great IMO in this sense. What's the issue that you are seeing Frode?

I don't have a problem with this. Of course, ideally it could be before Wimby, but it's not a must. Problem lies with the calendar. There is simply more time for it during the end of July. June is pretty crowded. And Hamburg would be the perfect candidate. Alternatively, move Hamburg to be at the same time as Queens, and then push Halle to mid/end of July for grass 1000 Masters.

OR if they'd allow changing the dates of Wimby slightly, it could be mid-July with the grass Masters being at the end of June. That would be ideal.

Frode789

Club Member
Reactions
Website
This is the ATP points distribution and amount of tournaments on each surface, for the 2017 ATP Calendar:
[attachment=206]

I don't have a problem with Grass being the smallest one of the 3. It is the most expensive and high-maintenance surface out of the 3, and very season dependent. I'm fine with it being limited to June-July.

And here is the breakdown of the different types of tournaments:
[attachment=207]

The amount of 500s is fine, actually just 1 behind clay. As for the 250s: For reasons mentioned above, it is natural that the smaller tournaments are much fewer. Hard to keep the money flowing in when the courts can only be used for a few months a year. That said, 1 or 2 more 250s in July wouldn't hurt. The biggest hole is obviously the lack of a Grass Masters.

I believe - ATP Masters 1000 on Grass - The dream. :heart:

Attachments

• ATP.png
    ATP.png
    13 KB · Views: 74
  • ATP2.png
    ATP2.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 81

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Shifting Wimbledon a week back is not possible as the second half is too frigging crowded with the last event happening from 24th Dec. to 26th Dec. (Davis Cup Final).

If only Hamburg could be converted to grass, it could made a mandatory grass masters. They have the required capacity on the centre court and they used to have a masters tournament here till 1999. So, I believe they have the infra and provisions.

Plan:

1) Demote Madrid to 500.
2) Promote Hamburg to Masters (Mandatory) and convert to grass.

So, the number of masters and the number of mandatory masters remain the same. This plan would be good for players and for tennis. But, the deals have to be struck. Demoting Madrid to 500 will be a tough job.

Frode789

Club Member
Reactions
Website
It isn't all pitch-black though, as there have been some positive news lately for Grass tennis fans, even though it mostly doesn't affect the top players, which will skip all but Halle/Queens anyway.

- The 2015 upgrade to ATP 500 for Halle and Queens was well deserved. Really the biggest positive change to grass tennis in the latest years.
- Stuttgart changed to grass in 2015.

And the most recent news in terms of grass tennis came in this year:
- Brand new grass tournament - ATP 250 in Antalya.
But again, as noted above, both Stuttgart and Antalya isn't relevant to the top players (other than those that have a paid contract) as ATP 250s. But nice still nonetheless.