Peak Fed on fast HC > Peak Fed on grass

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Peak Fed on fast HC is a sight to behold. And I'm talking about a true fast HC like Cincy and USO from 06 and before. IMO his peak on a true fast HC is greater than his peak on grass. Absolutely unplayable.

I think it is a myth that Federer's peak on grass is higher than his peak on a true fast HC.

Look at his post-prime period, he screwed up dozens of times on grass but never fucked up at Cincy. EVER. His Cincy 2012 specially the final was utter post-prime perfection. (2013 doesn't count cause he was injured that entire year and was just plain shit).

What do Fed fans think?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Watch this video and tell me you've seen a higher peak?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Look I agree that Federer has won more Wimbledon titles than US Opens(I'm obviously referring to USO when it was a true fast HC not today's rubbish) but that's only because the field on grass isn't as strong as on a fast HC. That is why I find it doubly impressive that he won 5 in a row on a fast HC and it's particularly more impressive since USO was the last slam of the year which means it shows how comfortable he is on that surface.

On grass Fed stumbled a lot even in his prime. In 09 he should've lost to duck, could've lost Wim 07 to dull and perhaps Wim 04 to duck. In USO, from 04-08 he was absolutely imperious. No mercy shown. Only USO 07 final was a bit dodgy but other than that he was unplayable. I mean he schooled guys like peak Davydenko in 06 like it was nothing.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Peak Fed on fast HC is a sight to behold. And I'm talking about a true fast HC like Cincy and USO from 06 and before. IMO his peak on a true fast HC is greater than his peak on grass. Absolutely unplayable.

I think it is a myth that Federer's peak on grass is higher than his peak on a true fast HC.

Look at his post-prime period, he screwed up dozens of times on grass but never fucked up at Cincy. EVER. His Cincy 2012 specially the final was utter post-prime perfection. (2013 doesn't count cause he was injured that entire year and was just plain shit).

What do Fed fans think?

I'll take peak Federer on grass. As Roger likes to say - margins are slimmer on grass, hence losing more than on fast hard courts at his peak. If there were more grass court events who knows what Roger would have been able to do in his career, so really, to me it's comparing apples and oranges...especially since the grass has been slowed down just like hard courts have.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I felt like Roger was better on fast hards for just a few years. From 2008-2011 he mostly had better USO's than Wimbledon's and that came down to his backhand and ROS being especially putrid on grass. With that said he only won 1 USO and 1 Wimbledon during that time. Clearly in his prime and now way past it he is better on grass. Don't let the crappy Wimbledon surface fool you either, he is clearly stronger at Halle on a normal year than a fast HC.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Hmm I don't know I've never seen him more comfortable on a true fast HC like Cincy or pre 07 USO surface. I feel his groundgame is stronger there because his footwork is more precise. His serve on a fast HC isn't as different as it in on grass, he gets plenty of free points on his serve on fast HC too.
The field is also stronger there so thats why I feel his 5 consec USOs > 5 consec Wimbledons.

I actually think his 5 consec USO is his greatest record. Since 2008 when Fed won his last USO, no play since then has won it even consecutively so that shows you how hard it is to do.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Gotta bump this thread after the Wimbledon debacle. As we can see, Fed won AO but lost Wimbledon in his post prime. More proof that he's better on a faster HC than grass. Fed is not the grass GOAT, Sampras is. Time to accept it.