The Grass is always Greener - 2021

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
With just two weeks to go for Wimbledon (after a long two year hiatus), we need a thread for early grass talk.

Here are the odds for winning Wimbledon.

1. Novak Djokovic 11/8 ~ 42.10%
2. Medvedev 15/2 ~ 11.76%
3. Tits 8 ~ 11.11%
4. Fed 9 ~ 10%
5. Ralph 27/2 ~ 6.90%
6. Sasha 14 ~ 6.67%
7. Sinner 49 ~ 2%
8. Berrettini 50 ~ 1.96%
9. Thiem 54 ~ 1.82%

I am going to stop there. Others listed with a chance more than 1% are the following in order: The Man, Bad Boy, Rublev, Shapovalov, Cilic, Raonic and JMDP.

I am not sure whether Stan and JMDP are even playing in Wimbledon.

Cilic won Stuttgart. Halle has a strong field with 5 top 10 players. Queens has a weak field with just 1 top 10 player.

Novak, Ralph, Thiem and Shortman not warming up.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The entry list to Wimbledon is attached.

Kohly, and Yen Hsen Lu have managed to get in using PR.

Verdasco is the last player to make the cut.

Stan the Man, Kyle Edmund and Borna Coric have withdrawn due to injuries.

JMDP is having fourth knee operation and is hoping to be able to play in Olympics. He is not playing Wimby.

3A15F978-A46F-4739-A274-B81D892885FE.png
3B39ED18-AEE5-4B60-A6E9-00AC64874C30.png

54033C0C-1967-4265-9241-ABD35A01285A.jpeg

Attachments

• MS_Entries.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kohlschreiber could do some damage here and Verdasco has had some good matches in the past at Wimbledon although I'll never forget the massive choke job against Murray whichever year that was. Lazy to check.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed won the opening round in Halle. 7-6(4), 7-5 against Ivashaka. Barely scratching in against nobody.

Next up winner of FAA vs. Hurkacz.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hurkacz should win both. To be fair, Ivashka gave Nadal quite a bit of trouble at Barcelona (won the first set 6-3). Never saw him on grass but being able to take Nadal to 6-4 in the 3rd on clay proves he's no slouch. Even against the best players, a game or TB is often all that separates the winner from the loser on grass, especially fast grass like Halle so wouldn't read much into the match and also Fed hit 26 unforced errors today and still won. Plenty of room for improvement.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA won and so Fed will play FAA tomorrow. Interestingly, the top seed Medvedev lost in straight sets today to Struff and so Fed will not face him in QF.

Since 2001, i.e., in the last 20 years, Fed has reached at least semifinals in Halle every time he played. Let us hope the streak continues.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I was only joking...Medvedev got a very hard opponent for the 1st Rd.

It happens to other top players, but they eek out a win and avoid upsets! Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, & others haven't gotten to that stage in their careers! Small or large tournaments; they're vulnerable in early rounds; esp. to a big server on a fast court! :facepalm:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the grass sure is greeeeeeeeeeeeen. such a welcome change after weeks of clay.

faa v fedster in rd2 of halle, fed at risk seeing as small colin has his grass legs with him now, reaching final, last week plus a win here,

Reactions: tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
With just two weeks to go for Wimbledon (after a long two year hiatus), we need a thread for early grass talk.

Here are the odds for winning Wimbledon.

1. Novak Djokovic 11/8 ~ 42.10%
2. Medvedev 15/2 ~ 11.76%
3. Tits 8 ~ 11.11%
4. Fed 9 ~ 10%
5. Ralph 27/2 ~ 6.90%
6. Sasha 14 ~ 6.67%
7. Sinner 49 ~ 2%
8. Berrettini 50 ~ 1.96%
9. Thiem 54 ~ 1.82%

I am going to stop there. Others listed with a chance more than 1% are the following in order: The Man, Bad Boy, Rublev, Shapovalov, Cilic, Raonic and JMDP.

Cilic won Stuttgart. Halle has a strong field with 5 top 10 players. Queens has a weak field with just 1 top 10 player.

Novak, Ralph, Thiem and Shortman not warming up.
WOW. Interesting

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is where I never understand bookies. How in the world can Juan Martin del Potro even make the long list? Or, quite frankly the very gimpy and never especially successful on grass Stan Wawrinka. Not even Kyrgios? I'd put him on before them.

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is where I never understand bookies. How in the world can Juan Martin del Potro even make the long list? Or, quite frankly the very gimpy and never especially successful on grass Stan Wawrinka. Not even Kyrgios? I'd put him on before them.

I too would put Kyrgios before Stan @Wimby (but not before JMDP if he is healthy).

They probably created these odds long time ago. Once a player drops out of the tournament, they have no incentive to remove them from the list (just in case some sucker wants to bet money on a player who is not even playing). If a player is still in the tournament, they have incentive to adjust the odds based on recent happenings.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I too would put Kyrgios before Stan @Wimby (but not before JMDP if he is healthy).

They probably created these odds long time ago. Once a player drops out of the tournament, they have no incentive to remove them from the list (just in case some sucker wants to bet money on a player who is not even playing). If a player is still in the tournament, they have incentive to adjust the odds based on recent happenings.
IF JMDP is healthy...are you kidding me? Frankly, I'd put Stan and his reconstructed knees above him, and I can't stand Stan, and I love Juan Martin delPotro. And what can it possibly mean, that they created those odds 'a long time ago,' as if that is an excuse for being lazy and lame? Did they create those odds in 2014? I know you like yourself some betting odds, but this is beyond pathetic.

Why don't we move beyond the unimaginative and useless and talk about some of the players that look like they might shake something up on the grass? Dan Evans had a surprisingly good clay season and he's much more likely to be good on grass. Everyone thinks Karatsev has a game that could translate well to grass. Cam Norrie is trending, and what about some of the Americans? Opelka, Fritz and Isner could cause trouble. Just a few thoughts on spoilers out there.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
IF JMDP is healthy...are you kidding me? Frankly, I'd put Stan and his reconstructed knees above him, and I can't stand Stan, and I love Juan Martin delPotro. And what can it possibly mean, that they created those odds 'a long time ago,' as if that is an excuse for being lazy and lame? Did they create those odds in 2014? I know you like yourself some betting odds, but this is beyond pathetic.

Why don't we move beyond the unimaginative and useless and talk about some of the players that look like they might shake something up on the grass? Dan Evans had a surprisingly good clay season and he's much more likely to be good on grass. Everyone thinks Karatsev has a game that could translate well to grass. Cam Norrie is trending, and what about some of the Americans? Opelka, Fritz and Isner could cause trouble. Just a few thoughts on spoilers out there.

The odds will be continuously changing based on recent events concerning the players (and also based on how much wager have already been placed on different players). Even if they created long ago, it will undergo changes everyday. But, they don't care about dropping players even when they know they are not playing (as it is unnecessary work for them and only a fool would bet on those players).

Surely, Opelka, Fritz and Isner could play a spoiler role. But, none of them will be able to win this. Talking of spoilers, you forgot our beloved Anderson (who was the cause of change in rules in Wimbledon).

I am not particularly impressed by Dan Evans and Norrie. But, I do think Karatsev has the potential to create some waves at this Wimbledon.

Oh, BTW, in Wimbledon JMDP with reconstructed knees (if he is healthy) would still be better than Stan (who has never done anything meaningful on grass).

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Taylor Fritz had minor surgery after tearing his meniscus on his right knee,the injury occurred in the 2nd rd at Roland Garros,he had to be put in a wheel chair and could not walk off court unaided.He hopes to be able to play Wimbledon.