The Rankings Thread (ATP)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
With todays win Isner will be ranked around 14. This is an important boost for him
as he will now get the 9-16 range seeding at USO and so will face somebody from
17-24 range in R32.

Today's win puts him at No. 18. He needs to get to the final to reach No. 14. If he were to win the tournament, he would get all the way to No. 11.

It is official now. He will get a seeding in the range 9-16. Now, if he has any sense,
he should drop out of W/S and focus on having a good run at USO. He has already
played four weeks in a row (Atlanta, DC, Montreal, Cincy) on top of playing the
post-Wimbledon grass court tournament in Newport. I know W/S is his home town;
but still it is not worth it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
With todays win Isner will be ranked around 14. This is an important boost for him
17-24 range in R32.

Today's win puts him at No. 18. He needs to get to the final to reach No. 14. If he were to win the tournament, he would get all the way to No. 11.

You are right, I made an unforced error.

Incidentally, if Rafa wins this tournament, he becomes number 2 surpassing Andy.

is it defo ??..if rafa/wafa wins the tourney he is world no 2 rank.

none of that confusing countable/uncountable points nonsense messing up the sums then ?.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he is world #2 if he wins tomorrow.

and he should go into the open as the #2 seed.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ok..be a unpleasant surprise for murray if rafa wins..

no3 seed at the u,s open.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
17-24 range in R32.

It is official now. He will get a seeding in the range 9-16. Now, if he has any sense,
Can anyone explain why John would play 5 weeks in a row on the hardcourts before the USO.. Isnt that pretty insane?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
17-24 range in R32.

Can anyone explain why John would play 5 weeks in a row on the hardcourts before the USO.. Isnt that pretty insane?

^^because isner is a bit silly..also I suppose he wants to defend his title there.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
17-24 range in R32.

^^because isner is a bit silly..also I suppose he wants to defend his title there.

No, I think he wants to win the US Open Series Bonus Challenge for the extra money.
If he goes to Winston Salem and win first three matches, he will be the winner of the series.
It is still being penny wise and pound foolish.

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
17-24 range in R32.

Money?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
coban said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
17-24 range in R32.

Money?

I'm not wishing anything bad for the boy, but overplaying like this will only make him sacrifice a good result in NY! He very well might be uninspired at the USO and go out rather early! Same could be said for Nadal, but only time will tell!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
coban said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:

Money?

I'm not wishing anything bad for the boy, but overplaying like this will only make him sacrifice a good result in NY! He very well night be uninspired at the USO and go out rather early! Same could be said for Nadal, but only time will tell!

Don't even compare Nadal and Isner here. Nadal has only played two ATP 1000 Mandatory
Tournaments. Nadal is not playing next week. Isner on the other hand is playing five full
weeks in a row right before USO. This on top of playing Newport Grass Tournament.
Nadal is not overplaying.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Why does Rafa's ranking say "8860 points" when the total is 9010?

Anybody know?

Kieran, the 8860 points is Nadal's 52 week ranking. The 9010 points is Nadal's Year end rankings so far.

They are two different rankings.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Kieran said:

Anybody know?

Kieran, the 8860 points is Nadal's 52 week ranking. The 9010 points is Nadal's Year end rankings so far.

They are two different rankings.

How are they different? They're both based upon results since February! He has no results before that.

Could it be a computer error?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:
Kieran said:

Anybody know?

The higher points is called the race,hope this helps Kieran.

I understand that Sid, but that's based upon exactly the same results as the other ranking: all tourneys since February.

If you total up the points on the same page, it's 9010 points, but they list it as 8860.

Confused.com! :huh:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
sid said:
Kieran said:

Anybody know?

The higher points is called the race,hope this helps Kieran.

I understand that Sid, but that's based upon exactly the same results as the other ranking: all tourneys since February.

If you total up the points on the same page, it's 9010 points, but they list it as 8860.

Confused.com! :huh:

Kieran, in the 52 week ranking, they didn't include Vina del Mar points.

In the 52 week rankings, they add up the best 18 tournaments of one player. But, a player is "required" to play four or five 500 tournaments. The Monte Carlo masters is an optional tournament. It means if a player chooses to skip it (eg. Federer), they would not get a 0 on their points. But, they would get a zero on one of the 500 tournaments. Unless, a player plays a lot of 250 tournaments to make up the zero points in the 500 tournament column.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Rafanoy - but why did they exclude Vina del Mar? I see it now as a non-countable tournament - apologies to you and Sid.

Thanks for taking the time! I'm gonna read the rankings FAQ now and see what's the story.

Cheers!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
New career highs for this week:

Tomas Berdych -- 5 (+1)
Vasek Pospisil -- 39 (+1)
Daniel Brands -- 51 (+4)
Pablo Carreno Busta -- 76 (+14)
Jesse Huta Galung -- 99 (+7)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
New career highs for this week:

Tomas Berdych -- 5 (+1)
Vasek Pospisil -- 39 (+1)
Daniel Brands -- 51 (+4)
Pablo Carreno Busta -- 76 (+14)
Jesse Huta Galung -- 99 (+7)

Boy is Roger fortunate Tsonga's not exactly tearing it up and he won't drop any further into #8 in the forseeable future rankings!

reddy

Reactions
Kieran said:
Thanks Rafanoy - but why did they exclude Vina del Mar? I see it now as a non-countable tournament - apologies to you and Sid.

Thanks for taking the time! I'm gonna read the rankings FAQ now and see what's the story.

Cheers!

All top 30 players are required to play 4 ATP 500 events in a year and are penalized with a 0 point penalty for each instance of non-compliance. The '0 point penalties' drop off after 52 weeks of imposition (you can see the drop off dates in the ranking breakdown). Due to having two '0 point' penalties, Nadal cannot count his Vina del Mar points ( in the best 6 category) towards his ATP (52 week) ranking.

Nadal's 0 point penalties drop off this October and VDM points can then count towards his ATP ranking. For this same reason, his RACE points (which reflect the ranking at year end) include the VDM points since VDM will replace one of his 0 point penalties by year end.