The Rankings Thread (ATP)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ Thanks for highlighting that, herios. He's definitely one to keep an eye on. As to if anyone has made such a climb? If it's a good indication for his future, Rafa made pretty much the same leap between July 03 and Mar 04. You can see his rankings history here. Very similar rise, and not bad footsteps to be following in. (I didn't check anyone else out. Could be others.)

EDIT: I did look back over Djokovic, Murray and Federer. None of them made such a dramatic leap in such a short span of time. They rose more gradually.

Thanks, I thought so. The only difference is the age they did it. Now, I looked to Pablo's ranking history, it looks he had his first surge in 2011 at 20y, peaking at the end of that year ranked 136.
He played a few more events Jan. -Mar. 2012 (on HC, not as successful), but then it seems to me he had an injury or something, because he stopped playing until Oct. last year, thus he dropped down to 755 (ouch).
So basically he started to climb the mountain again 10 months ago and now he has gained it all back and some.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Something significant happens under the radar, with one young players who made some noise earlier this spring.
Pablo Carreno Busta, who surprisingly made the SF in Portugal while ranked outside the top 200, then made the main draw at RG and met Roger in his opener there, kept on playing on clay on the challenger tour.
He has played this week his 7th!!! event since RG, and almost every week kept on inching higher through the rankings, so that today with his win and qualification to the final in Segovia, he will be entering into the top 100 for the first time comes Monday.
So now, he has moved from 654 at the beginning of 2013 to 99 in 7 months. is there anyone who ever did such a climb?

Anyway, Spain adds a fresh face to the clay armada, and I think he will be a true clay courter who will have an impact on the tour pretty soon. He just turned 22 in July.

not quite the same but it got him comeback of the year award by atp...

in 2011 del potro went from 485 rank in feb to 11 rank by November.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A review on the "jumpers" and "droppers" and I am sure tented will add those who I will forget among the "new career high" group.

Pablo Carreno-Busta wins Segovia challenger and he is the biggest jumper, gaining 20 spots: 111--->91, first time ever in the top 100.
In another interesting challenger final at Liberec, Jiri Vesely, who is the youngest in the top 100, just barely 20y, edges out F. Delbonis: 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 and both will make a new career high;
Vesely 98----> 81
Delbonis 63---->57

V. Pospisil wins the Vancouver challenger and makes also a new career high:
89----->71

Other big jumpers:
Tursunov 18 spots
Granollers 17.

the big "droppers" were:
Blake 22 spots
Pella 20

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
A review on the "jumpers" and "droppers" and I am sure tented will add those who I will forget among the "new career high" group.

Pablo Carreno-Busta wins Segovia challenger and he is the biggest jumper, gaining 20 spots: 111--->91, first time ever in the top 100.
In another interesting challenger final at Liberec, Jiri Vesely, who is the youngest in the top 100, just barely 20y, edges out F. Delbonis: 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 and both will make a new career high;
Vesely 98----> 81
Delbonis 63---->57

89----->71

Other big jumpers:
Tursunov 18 spots
Granollers 17.

the big "droppers" were:
Blake 22 spots
Pella 20

Also Delpo moved up to five on the race to London rankings! I think Fed is officially 7th there.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
herios said:

Vesely 98----> 81
Delbonis 63---->57

89----->71

Other big jumpers:
Tursunov 18 spots
Granollers 17.

the big "droppers" were:
Blake 22 spots
Pella 20

Also Delpo moved up to five on the race to London rankings! I think Fed is officially 7th there.

Yes, he is now in 7th position. If he does not get his act together,
he may not make it to WTF. Wake up Rog!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
New career highs for this week. Yet again, Delbonis makes the list.

Federico Delbonis -- 57 (+6)
Kenny de Schepper -- 67 (+2)
Vasek Pospisil -- 71 (+18)
Jiri Vesely -- 81 (+17)
Pablo Carreño Busta -- 91 (+20)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
if del potro wins montreal masters he goes above burdych and Federer in the world rank charts (probably).

Federer is not playing..is burdych playing ?.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger's Number 5 ranking is safe for one more week. Now, it
is guaranteed that he will go in to cincy with No. 5 ranking.
We will see how he comes out of it.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
yes del potro and berdych either didn't play montreal/Toronto last year or lost early then as well,

so no change in 5, 6, 7 rank.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
yes del potro and berdych either didn't play montreal/Toronto last year or lost early then as well,

so no change in 5, 6, 7 rank.

How embarrassing for Roger; depending on people losing early to hold onto rank of #5! Wow; how the mighty have fallen! As I've been saying, he used up everything he had to take that Wimbledon and #1 ranking for a few months! Let's hope he doesn't drop out of the top 10 by years' end!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
He cannot drop below 8 after Cincy, no matter what happens in
Cincy and so his seeding at USO will be in the 5 to 8 category.
This is now official. No scenario will make his ranking below 8 after
Cincy.

Remember that what happens in the week after Cincy will not
be taken into account for the purposes of seeding in USO.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Rafa wins his next round in Montreal, he passes Ferrer and takes the #3 spot. And he would then be within 1400 points of Murray for the #2 rank, with nothing to defend. (If he wins the tournament, he's within 1000 of Murray, and something over 2000 of Djokovic. Not outside of the realm of possibility. Keep your eyes on that rear-view mirror, boys!)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie629 said:
If Rafa wins his next round in Montreal, he passes Ferrer and takes the #3 spot. And he would then be within 1400 points of Murray for the #2 rank, with nothing to defend. (If he wins the tournament, he's within 1000 of Murray, and something over 2000 of Djokovic. Not outside of the realm of possibility. Keep your eyes on that rear-view mirror, boys!)

We all love you for your thinking and efforts around here darling, but "dream on!" :laydownlaughing :clap :nono :angel: - The summer and fall is not Rafa's time, even when he was at his heights and healthy! He reminds me more of an older player trying to hang on other than an elite athlete! He hasn't impressed me at all with his play, barely squeaking through so far!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Moxie629 said:

We all love you for your thinking and efforts around here darling, but "dream on!" :laydownlaughing :clap :nono :angel: - The summer and fall is not Rafa's time, even when he was at his heights and healthy! He reminds me more of an older player trying to hang on other than an elite athlete! He hasn't impressed me at all with his play, barely squeaking through so far!

Fiero, darling, you can laugh at me for a fantasist if you like, but to say that Rafa has 'barely' squeaked through so far, are you referring to his 6-2 6-0 win over Levine? OK, JJ was a challenge, but he got less of a close-shave than Nole did last night over Istomin.

As to rankings, I'm only doing the math. IF Rafa were to win here, he'd be less than a 1000 points from Murray...who is defending 2000 at the USO. Even if Andy makes the finals but fails to defend, he loses 800 points. Djokovic is defending final points at the USO (1200), wins here and Shanghai (1000 ea.,) Beijing (500) and WTF (1500.) Now, I know this coming part of the year isn't usually Rafa's best, but he's certainly won tournaments, and, in any case...I'll say it again...he's defending zero points. With some good results and 'a little help from his friends,' he could gain a lot of ground on them. Just sayin'...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Fiero425 said:
Moxie629 said:

Fiero, darling, you can laugh at me for a fantasist if you like, but to say that Rafa has 'barely' squeaked through so far, are you referring to his 6-2 6-0 win over Levine? OK, JJ was a challenge, but he got less of a close-shave than Nole did last night over Istomin.

As to rankings, I'm only doing the math. IF Rafa were to win here, he'd be less than a 1000 points from Murray...who is defending 2000 at the USO. Even if Andy makes the finals but fails to defend, he loses 800 points. Djokovic is defending final points at the USO (1200), wins here and Shanghai (1000 ea.,) Beijing (500) and WTF (1500.) Now, I know this coming part of the year isn't usually Rafa's best, but he's certainly won tournaments, and, in any case...I'll say it again...he's defending zero points. With some good results and 'a little help from his friends,' he could gain a lot of ground on them. Just sayin'...

It does seem like people have forgotten the 2012 aussie final. Rafa has played incredible hard court tennis fairly recently. He has more hard court slams than andy as well... He has adjustments to make of sure, but discount Rafa at your own risk.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
With Richie going down today to Novak he was unable to defend his points for the RU last year in Canada, thus he slips to 10, allowing Stan Wawrinka to move up to 9, Stan equaling his best ranking in his career.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
With Richie going down today to Novak he was unable to defend his points for the RU last year in Canada, thus he slips to 10, allowing Stan Wawrinka to move up to 9, Stan equaling his best ranking in his career.

And I believe if Raonic wins the tournament, he would be No. 9, which would push Wawrinka right back down.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IMO, Wawrinka is at his high watermark. A week or two swanning around, but this is as good as it gets for him.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
IMO, Wawrinka is at his high watermark. A week or two swanning around, but this is as good as it gets for him.

Yup. I reckon so too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Rafa does get back to #3! I know we want to talk about other than the top guys on this thread, but I will take "droigt de signorina' on this one. :)