The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Tomic dropping like a stone.

He's got a few million in the bank, so he doesn't care. The stupid thing is - he's 24 and the seems to think that money's going to last the rest of his life. Richer - and arguably better - people than him have blown millions and had nothing to fall back on.

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Can someone break down the scenario for number 1 with Rafa being knocked out in Montreal? He was a lock to get number 1 if he had made the semis but could Roger now overtake him by winning Montreal and simply playing Cincinnati?

Also I know Roger has nothing to defend moving forward but is Rafa defending much?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Roger by winning this would close to within ten points of Rafael. Then next week, whoever finishes higher would be number one?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa is 410 points ahead of Roger right now. But, he has 90 pts to defend in Cincy. So, effectively only 320 points ahead This would mean that Fed will become #1 by end of Cincy under any one of the following scenario.

1. Fed wins Cincy.
2. Fed reaches Final and Rafa loses at QF or before.
3. Fed reaches SF and Rafa loses his opening match.

If Fed cannot make it to SF, he will not get to #1.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa is 410 points ahead of Roger right now. But, he has 90 pts to defend in Cincy. So, effectively only 320 points ahead This would mean that Fed will become #1 by end of Cincy under any one of the following scenario.

1. Fed wins Cincy.
2. Fed reaches Final and Rafa loses at QF or before.
3. Fed reaches SF and Rafa loses his opening match.

If Fed cannot make it to SF, he will not get to #1.

Redo the math, because Nadal defends 90 points this week.
The gap between them is only 320 points

The Strokes

Futures Player
Reactions
Well Rafa is officially #1 again on live rankings. Fed would need to do several rounds better than Rafa to pass him in Cincy.
Based on what we saw Sunday, ain't gonna happen!

Well if this was soccer I could drive around and honk my horn ....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Rafa is officially #1 again on live rankings. Fed would need to do several rounds better than Rafa to pass him in Cincy.
Based on what we saw Sunday, ain't gonna happen!

Well if this was soccer I could drive around and honk my horn ....

What was Nadal doing on Sunday?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high this week August 14, 2017:

7. Alexander Zverev 20y
33 Diego Schwartzman 24y
49. Hyeon Chung 21y
63. Pierre Hugues Herbert 26y
67. Denis Shapovalov 18y
81. Norbert Gombos 27y
85. Thomas Fabbiano 28y

The big highlight was Shapovalov big jump this week, from 132 to 67. He is now the youngest player in the top 100 by far.

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The young Canadian has stones, as does the young German. We may have found two fellas who will start to make their presence known on a more routine basis.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay--Federer is out of this week's event and Rafa again ascends to numero uno next Monday. Since Andy is not playing either, will Roger or Andy be the number two ranked player at the US Open? What will be the point differences?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay--Federer is out of this week's event and Rafa again ascends to numero uno next Monday. Since Andy is not playing either, will Roger or Andy be the number two ranked player at the US Open? What will be the point differences?

Roger gets the #2 seed in USO by a whopping margin of 5 points. It is assured.

Reactions: shawnbm

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger gets the #2 seed in USO by a whopping margin of 5 points. It is assured.

I must make an amendment. For losing in the very first match a player gets 10 pts. These 10 pts were automatically added in the live rankings yesterday. However, since Fed withdrew from Cincy (as opposed to losing in the first round), he would not get any points. So, Andy would be seeded #2 at USO by a whopping margin of 5 pts.

Tennis is a game of inches sometimes. Now, the same thing applies to ranking. Fed was +5 before the decision and now -5. If only Fed has hired me as part of his team, I would have advised him to play in the opening match and tank it so that he can get #2 seed at USO.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually being seeded #3 may not be bad considering Sasha will be seeded #4 and Fed cannot play Sasha before the finals. At the moment Sasha looks more dangerous than Rafa and so avoiding Sasha might be a good choice than avoiding Rafa. Of course, he can avoid both if he gets drawn into Andy's half.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually being seeded #3 may not be bad considering Sasha will be seeded #4 and Fed cannot play Sasha before the finals. At the moment Sasha looks more dangerous than Rafa and so avoiding Sasha might be a good choice than avoiding Rafa. Of course, he can avoid both if he gets drawn into Andy's half.
What a pretzel to make the best of a rough situation! (Rafa or Sasha???) And who even knows if Andy's playing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I must make an amendment. For losing in the very first match a player gets 10 pts. These 10 pts were automatically added in the live rankings yesterday. However, since Fed withdrew from Cincy (as opposed to losing in the first round), he would not get any points. So, Andy would be seeded #2 at USO by a whopping margin of 5 pts.

Tennis is a game of inches sometimes. Now, the same thing applies to ranking. Fed was +5 before the decision and now -5. If only Fed has hired me as part of his team, I would have advised him to play in the opening match and tank it so that he can get #2 seed at USO.
Was waiting for you to figure that out. But the question really does become about his back. Better to gain a few points or actually rest the back? I've been on vacation, but I see there's some conversation about how much is physical, or if there was a tank. I don't think he tanked. And I think he's right to rest his back. Save if for the USO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I actually agree that a 3 seed is better. A very rare time we can say that but I look at it like this; regardless of being the 2 or 3 seed there is a 50% chance Rafa and Zverev are on the other half of the draw. As a 2 seed there would be 100% chance he doesn't see Rafa before the final and as the 3 seed there is 100% chance he doesn't see Zverev before the final. And I think Roger's chances vs. Zverev would be better in the final than a semi. It may sound strange but if that's the final I wouldn't be worried at all, I think Roger would step up and Sascha would have the moment get to him a bit. I also think Roger wouldn't mind seeing Rafa in a semi instead of the final but obviously he prefers both on the other half.

Of course the big question is how serious is the back injury? Those tend to linger a lot longer than two weeks. Fed screwed the pooch royally by playing Canada and going in unprepared.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high Aug. 21, 2017:

6. Alexander Zverev 20y
29. Karen Khachanov 21y
51. Jared Donaldson 20y
81. Thomas Fabbiano 28y

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

I concur...being seeded 3 ain't a bad thing. Worked out at Wimbledon. The US Open folks though have to be hoping that Federer and Nadal aren't drawn in the same half. A Fedal final will be a bigger draw than than a Fedev or Nadev final. No offense to Andy Murray... I'm sure they'd be salivating over Federer\GOAT vs. Zverev\Future-of-Tennis just as much as they would over Fedal...

Reactions: MartyB