The hate thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I hated having to do safeguarding & preventing terrorism in my "working with under-12s" course yesterday. It really upset me that much in class that although I was engaging with everyone I was crying. I discussed it with my tutor afterwards & explained why it got to me. He said I could do all the safeguarding & preventing terrorism work by reading & writing at home where I could listen to music while I was doing it so there'd be something to keep the emotional side of my head occupied while I was getting the work done or to cheer me up while I was doing the work. I could do the basics without getting into all the gory details. (I know I'll have to toughen up at some point but I don't think I'm ready yet.) I'm not sure whether to just do that or to offer the emotional support offered so I could have time-out if things got too emotional. I've enjoyed the rest of the course so far. I enjoyed Tuesday's course which was about teaching the under-12s maths.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I hate people who are too selfish to get a COVID vaccine. I do. Millions of people across the globe have had the jab, and only a handful have died or otherwise had issues. We could get back to life if people would just get a shot where it is available to them. To me, it seems selfish, and unreasonably fearful, based on the science and the results.

It’s especially annoying when you factor in the number of people who spend so much time and effort arguing why they shouldn’t be required to wear a mask: do you know how to make this issue go away? Get vaccinated!

I was no fan of George W. Bush, but I’m convinced that if covid-19 had happened when he was president, this politicization wouldn’t have occurred. Only with Trump in office would this have become an anti-science movement.

Horsa

Reactions
Don't you just hate it when you're just starting a course & your tutor gives you a copy of a final exam as the first task to see if you already know anything about the subject? (If you did you wouldn't be on that course.) I got sent on 3 courses from work & have had the same tutor. She does it all the time. The first 2 courses I was on of hers weren't too bad. I got 83% & 85% respectively when the pass mark was 70%. (That made me feel more confident so I was raring to go & ended up with 95% & 94% respectively.) This 1 I only got 61% on (& the pass mark is 70%). She says that tells her how much work we need to do other than the materials that we've got to use so she can talk us through things & she likes to see people progress. I'm just feeling like a failure & an idiot.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't you just hate it when you're just starting a course & your tutor gives you a copy of a final exam as the first task to see if you already know anything about the subject? (If you did you wouldn't be on that course.) I got sent on 3 courses from work & have had the same tutor. She does it all the time. The first 2 courses I was on of hers weren't too bad. I got 83% & 85% respectively when the pass mark was 70%. (That made me feel more confident so I was raring to go & ended up with 95% & 94% respectively.) This 1 I only got 61% on (& the pass mark is 70%). She says that tells her how much work we need to do other than the materials that we've got to use so she can talk us through things & she likes to see people progress. I'm just feeling like a failure & an idiot.
I hate when someone feels like a failure and an idiot. Because it's a waste of energy. You are not either.

Reactions: britbox and Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I hate when someone feels like a failure and an idiot. Because it's a waste of energy. You are not either.
I'm very sorry. I feel like both a failure & idiot sometimes. At other times, I realise that that's not true most of the time. I agree. All that time & effort I was wasting allowing myself to feel & express my feelings I could have been using to get some work done. Thank you very much. It's just how I felt.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm very sorry. I feel like both a failure & idiot sometimes. At other times, I realise that that's not true most of the time. I agree. All that time & effort I was wasting allowing myself to feel & express my feelings I could have been using to get some work done. Thank you very much. It's just how I felt.
Most of us are our own worst critics. That's worth remembering. And re-read your own signature. That's not a bad mantra. :smooch:

Reactions: Horsa

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is no such thing as failure until you quit in your own head. Just a bump in the road which you can learn from. Stay in good cheer, and it'll be even sweeter when you get over the line.

Reactions: Horsa and Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
Most of us are our own worst critics. That's worth remembering. And re-read your own signature. That's not a bad mantra. :smooch:
O.K. Thank you very much. I guess so. I wrote that in a totally different state of mind altogether.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
There is no such thing as failure until you quit in your own head. Just a bump in the road which you can learn from. Stay in good cheer, and it'll be even sweeter when you get over the line.
O.K. Thank you very much. I guess I need to get things done, take a break every now & then (which I don't spend pulling myself down) then give myself time to contemplate & problem-solve before coming back to everything.

It is hard at times when you just keep hitting brick walls so think you can't do something. (I'm not used to hitting brick walls. I'm used to having the answers for almost everything almost instantaneously.) You need to prove to yourself that the opposite is true. (I think I need to learn when to ask for & accept help too.)

Gosh! You're right. Some of the things I've done, other people would have loved to do or been able to do. I guess I'm an ungrateful wretch at times.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
I hate Sage. It won't let me do what I'm supposed to do. I prefer spreadsheets or doing things the old way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Horsa Odds and Ends 12
mrzz Odds and Ends 6
N Odds and Ends 18
britbox Odds and Ends 16
britbox Odds and Ends 15