The hate thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I hate the fact I was supposed to go into work to do archiving today but I've had a stomach bug for the last 3 days so I had to stay at home & put more finishing touches on my equine history report before putting it into chronological order & rewriting it instead.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate what Dad did to my gramophone when he was ill.

My Uncle came today to help sort some of Dad's things. I showed him my gramophone. We'd been looking all over for the winding handle since Dad last had it. He must have done it while we were out. It worked except it wouldn't hold it's wind. We bought a drive spring off ebay then it worked properly. When I opened the gramophone we found the winding handle. He'd forced it inside bending the speaker needle arm which he'd taken off & removed the screws from. He left his screwdriver in it. We had lots of needles. Now we don't. I'm gutted. I always wanted a gramophone. I wanted 1 of the polished wood ones with a brass horn. I could only get a 1920/1930's Columbia Grafonola but when something has been obsolete for decades you get what you can. I thought it was wonderful when I got it. I was thrilled. The worst thing about it is you can't just buy 1 from the shop. It's almost irreplaceable.
I know this is the hate thread, but I love that you loved your gramophone. I still have one from my grandmother, which used to work, but I don't think it does anymore. They are very hard to find parts for, much less 75s to play on them. And they scratch the hell out of them. We used to get our old one working, and it was like a voice from the past. It is sad, and I do HATE that they are going by the wayside.

Horsa

Reactions
I know this is the hate thread, but I love that you loved your gramophone. I still have one from my grandmother, which used to work, but I don't think it does anymore. They are very hard to find parts for, much less 75s to play on them. And they scratch the hell out of them. We used to get our old one working, and it was like a voice from the past. It is sad, and I do HATE that they are going by the wayside.

I'd always wanted 1. I wanted 1 of the wooden ones with the brass horns but got a portable 1920s/1930s Columbia Grafonola with a detachable winding handle instead. I work in heritage preservation as I love antiques, old arts, crafts & music & think it's important to keep it going for future generations. I've got a fun & fascinating job which can be very relaxing & rewarding. Job roles I have include archivist, historic report writer, arts, crafts, history & music teacher, singer, crafter, knitter, quilter, events planner, museum-floor assistant & shop-assistant. Not all at once obviously. Sometimes I have set & pre-planned jobs & at other times I don't know what I'm doing until I get into work. We've found a tin full of the needles & the screws. My uncle said he might be able to fix it. We're going to repair parts of the house that need repairing 1st after the solicitor decides whether we need a valuation or not to ensure I put the right figures on the probate form. (I put the damage Dad did on the form as it devalued the house & if I get repairs done they'll think I was lying.) Then Mother will get insurance money remaining after the solicitor paid the funeral director & his own fees. We're planning on doing repairs with that. My uncle said he's going to help repair the house then he'll take a look at my gramophone. I've got some of the early gramophone records with no speed on the label. I broke some of the 78s but have been able to find more. (The problem with gramophone records is they're so fragile.) Some I can get cheap. Others I can't. I managed to buy a 78 for 25p not so long ago.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, yes...78s, not 75s. LOL.

Reactions: Horsa

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't you just hate it when you're listening to a cassette & the player chews it? You get it out & wind it back round. Then you try it again. It happens again & you tear the tape getting it out so have to throw it away.

I know the feelin' but i still say BRING BACK CASSETTE TAPES. Some folks do not like change, myself included!

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I know the feelin' but i still say BRING BACK CASSETTE TAPES. Some folks do not like change, myself included!
Me too. There are disadvantages with all musical storage media.

Gramophone records were too fragile & scratched.
33 rpm records scratched.
45 rpm records scratched & songs didn't last long enough so you had to stand over the record player while playing them.
Cassette tapes get chewed & tangled.
CDs get scratched.

I don't like change too much either. The change I hate most in music though is the change in quality & styles. I like well-written songs which are well-sung & well-played. I don't like a lot of modern music where the songs aren't very well-written & are shouted or spoken rather than sung & the instruments are banged as loud as possible rather than played properly.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Horsa

Reactions
I hate the fact that yesterday we were put in a high-risk area & as such I can't do quilting or knitting workshop at work for a while & I can't go into archiving at work for a while. I'd only started back a month for the archiving & 2 months for the quilting & knitting. I was really enjoying it. I was enjoying seeing everyone again albeit with a face-mask or face-shield & (everyone keeping their distance from each other) instead of just speaking on the phone or e-mailing each other. I also enjoyed the bit of the break from report-writing. I knew I still had to do it but got more of a break. When I was just report-writing, quilting & knitting as well as reading I ended up with head-ache, writer's cramp & sore fingers as well as itching, stinging & watering eyes. At least our cafes are still open.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
Don't you just hate it that this virus just won't go away?
Don't you just hate the fact it looks like it's here to stay?
Aren't you just sick of having to treat everyone as if they had B.O.?
Aren't you just sick of wearing face-masks everywhere you go?
I guess it's better to do that than have to stay at home.
With them on there are more places you can roam.
I started wearing face-shields instead so I can breathe.
Before when I had trouble breathing in a masks shops & shopping centres I had to leave.
If I was in a shopping centre though I'd find the nearest café & order a drink.
That way I could take my mask off after writing my contact details down in pen & ink.
Some day we'll get back to normal, I hope.
Until then it's just learning how to cope.

Reactions: britbox

Horsa

Reactions
This is something that I guess any other ladies will feel familiar with. Don't you just hate it when you're writing & you accidentally dig into the palm of the hand which you use to write with, with your finger & then you end up with writer's cramp too?

Don't you just hate it when you've been enjoying reading a book & then your eyes start itching, stinging & aching & you get the Mother of all head-aches?

Horsa

Reactions
I hate the fact that from Monday because of people who won't wear a mask when they're supposed to & respect other people's personal space which has meant our virus rates have got very high we'll have to go back to having excuses to be out in our area & told how many times a day we're allowed to go for a walk & not to catch a bus or train unless forced. We're all going to be treated like children again.

Horsa

Reactions
I hate the fact that after I tripped over a stair the other day & got a bruise under my eye which looked really bad today so my Sister sent me to the chemist to ensure it was o.k. & ask for help. I haven't been dazed, confused or concussed the last couple of days & I haven't lost my memory or anything. Getting checked out just wasted my time & forced me to go out with my snood-type facial covering to hide my eye & so I could show my eye without removing rather than wear my face-shield or a face-mask. I was wanting to get a lot of work done on my equine history report.

Horsa

Reactions
I hate the fact that I got an e-mail saying all Xmas parties & events have been cancelled this year. We've just got to carry on with the work we've got to do at home & phone up if we need more.

Horsa

Reactions
I hate the fact that Mother fell down the stairs earlier. We had to get an ambulance as she fell all the way down & hurt her head. She's been taken to hospital for tests & observation. She's confused due to her fall. We've been told she'll be out either tonight or tomorrow depending on test results. (I normally get annoyed with people when I've bumped my head & I think the people checking me out are patronising me asking simple questions to ensure I'm still o.k. I really play them up get sarcastic & want to get on with things. Now, I realise why these questions need asking.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate the fact that Mother fell down the stairs earlier. We had to get an ambulance as she fell all the way down & hurt her head. She's been taken to hospital for tests & observation. She's confused due to her fall. We've been told she'll be out either tonight or tomorrow depending on test results. (I normally get annoyed with people when I've bumped my head & I think the people checking me out are patronising me asking simple questions to ensure I'm still o.k. I really play them up get sarcastic & want to get on with things. Now, I realise why these questions need asking.)
I hope that your mother is ok! Do let us know.

Horsa

Reactions
I hope that your mother is ok! Do let us know.
Thank you very much.

The nurse phoned us up telling us the tests came up normal. She came home late last night. Luckily the confusion was just due to the fall. When she came home the 1st thing she said was she wanted a cup of tea. When she had the cup of tea, she was very chatty telling us everything & she made sense & didn't appear to have lost her memory. No damage has been done.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
The fact that after almost 3 years of working in heritage preservation where I've had constant on-the-job training & online training & I've been getting lots of varied jobs which I've proven I can do, I've got to go to an adult education centre where I've got to walk 1/2 mile there & 1/2 a mile back twice a week to do a "Working with the under-12s" course. I went there last week for tests & I start tomorrow. The centre is very good & everyone is pleasant, friendly & helpful. There's a hairdresser's for practice for hairdressing students & a nail salon for nail art students. (If I wasn't so happy in heritage preservation I'd want to do nail art.) We got told we could have our hair & nails done while we were waiting. There's a nice cafe too. The only problem is having to walk that far there & back to get there. We teach people of all ages arts/crafts, history, art history & music at work & nothing else at work so I couldn't do the course at work. (I really enjoy doing arts/crafts, art history & music classes at work as well as teaching these subjects.) I've been told by my Manager that she knows I can do archiving, H & S & work with under-12s really well but she wanted me to do online archiving & H & S training so I could prove I could do it if I ever wanted to move to another place I could & that's why she wants me to do this "Working with under-12s" course. I'm brilliant with the under-12s. They like me & have told me that. I love working with the under-12s especially when I'm teaching them to make Xmas decorations or teaching them to sing. Teaching them about life in the 1940's is good too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate people who are too selfish to get a COVID vaccine. I do. Millions of people across the globe have had the jab, and only a handful have died or otherwise had issues. We could get back to life if people would just get a shot where it is available to them. To me, it seems selfish, and unreasonably fearful, based on the science and the results.

Reactions: Horsa and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hate people who are too selfish to get a COVID vaccine. I do. Millions of people across the globe have had the jab, and only a handful have died or otherwise had issues. We could get back to life if people would just get a shot where it is available to them. To me, it seems selfish, and unreasonably fearful, based on the science and the results.
We had a recent poll here in Sydney and 1/3 of the people do not want to get the vaccination.I think most of their concerns has been about the blood clots that you can possibly get,though usually that is the case with people with underlying conditions,and really outweighs the overall side effects of the vaccine.I think it is best to talk to your doctor with your concerns,they know your body the best and people who have allergies must also be careful.I also think we here in Australia,being an island,shutting our borders,we have been lucky in regards to deaths and second wave outbreaks of COVID.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I agree. I don't mind people with severe allergic reactions as it could kill them but people who just decide they don't want a vaccine without a reason really get my goat.

Reactions: Moxie
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Horsa Odds and Ends 12
mrzz Odds and Ends 6
N Odds and Ends 18
britbox Odds and Ends 16
britbox Odds and Ends 15