GRASS SEASON - General Discussion

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I know clay season has not ended yet. But, I cannot wait any further. Only recently we were even able to use the term grass season. Here is the schedule.

WEEK 1: Mercedes Cup (Stuttgart) and Libema Open (Netherlands) ATP 250s

WEEK 2: Queens (London) and Halle (Germany) ATP 500s

WEEK 3: Eastbourne (GB) and Antalya Open (Turkey) ATP 250s.

WEEK 4 and 5: Wimbledon (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London)

Obviously, Roger will be the apriori favorite. Who do you think will be movers and shakers in grass.
Novak is certainly improving and might become a factor at Wimby. JMDP certainly will be a contender.
Sasha will probably go deep here, but not win it. Murray might be ready to play in grass, but too much
to expect him to win it straight away coming after an injury break. Canadian #1 (No not Milos) might go
deep here as well.

What do you guys and gals think? Is this the grass greener on other side?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I know clay season has not ended yet. But, I cannot wait any further. Only recently we were even able to use the term grass season. Here is the schedule.

Obviously, Roger will be the apriori favorite. Who do you think will be movers and shakers in grass.
Novak is certainly improving and might become a factor at Wimby. JMDP certainly will be a contender.
Sasha will probably go deep here, but not win it. Murray might be ready to play in grass, but too much
to expect him to win it straight away coming after an injury break. Canadian #1 (No not Milos) might go
deep here as well.

I don't want to answer your questions but I will answer the question of who I want to win Wimbledon & why. I want a Brit to win Wimbledon because I'm a patriotic Brit but I know I'm being optimistic rather than realistic. I agree with you about Andy Murray & think that he needs time to get back into the swing of things & recuperate before playing at his normal level never mind his best. Slainte mhath Andy Murray! The English translation of that Scots Gaelic phrase is "Good health Andy Murray!".

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't want to answer your questions but I will answer the question of who I want to win Wimbledon & why. I want a Brit to win Wimbledon because I'm a patriotic Brit but I know I'm being optimistic rather than realistic. I agree with you about Andy Murray & think that he needs time to get back into the swing of things & recuperate before playing at his normal level never mind his best. Slainte mhath Andy Murray! The English translation of that Scots Gaelic phrase is "Good health Andy Murray!".

Hope you get to live for another 77 years. :lulz2:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
faker will play a decisive role and unfortunately I think he'll beat Fed at Wimbledon.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Forgot to mention about Kyrgios. He is certainly someone who can make some noise on grass.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In my opinion, the grass season will be interesting to say the least. There will be a lot more players who are eager to do well in grass. I do agree that Federer is the favorite but he will definitely has to earn it this year to retain those two titles and possibly the number 2 ranking...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic has no prayer on grass vs Roger right now. He is at maybe 40% of what he was. Main threat to Roger figures to be Sascha and Cilic but if he plays up to par he gets #9. Then we can say he has only slightly underachieved at Wimbledon.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic has no prayer on grass vs Roger right now. He is at maybe 40% of what he was. Main threat to Roger figures to be Sascha and Cilic but if he plays up to par he gets #9. Then we can say he has only slightly underachieved at Wimbledon.
:laugh: There are certain tropes you just won't give up.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
:laugh: There are certain tropes you just won't give up.

He needs to get to 10 to be where he should already be. If he doesn't win this year then he's only at 8 of last 16 Wimbledon's. Even with the garbage change in surface he clearly should've done better. Two awful finals losses and a couple other head scratchers.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In my opinion, the grass season will be interesting to say the least. There will be a lot more players who are eager to do well in grass. I do agree that Federer is the favorite but he will definitely has to earn it this year to retain those two titles and possibly the number 2 ranking...

I agree with this. While Fed is the favorite, he has to earn it and is not going to be a walk in the park. First of all, we have to see in what form is he in when he comes out of hibernation (before formally anointing him as the favorite).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He needs to get to 10 to be where he should already be. If he doesn't win this year then he's only at 8 of last 16 Wimbledon's. Even with the garbage change in surface he clearly should've done better. Two awful finals losses and a couple other head scratchers.
I don't really buy what people "should" have done in sports. Besides, the under-achiever at Wimbledon is Nadal. :p (By which I mean better results, and maybe one more win.)

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Lol.

He's beginning to find his groove but I don't think he's quite ready to take down Federer at Wimbledon this year at least.

I can go with that. As long as mowgli doesn't win either Wimby or USO, I'm good.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions

If Fed had 10% of mowgli's luck, he would be sitting at 10 to 11 Wimbledons right now. Conversely, if mowgli had Fed's luck, he would've been sitting at 5-6 RGs. The amount of talent that Fed has, the same amount of luck mowgli's got.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

deep here as well.

I'm a little bummed that you didn't refer to the Libema Open as "s'Hertogenbosch," as it my favorite quirky name of any tennis tournament. Impossible to spell OR pronounce.

I thought I'd take your lead and remind people of who won those last year:

Stuttgart: Lucas Pouille
s'Hertogenbosch: Gilles Muller

Queen's: Feli Lopez
Halle: Roger Federer

Eastbourne: Novak Djokovic
Antalya: Yuichi Sugita

...if that helps. (I hope I got them right. Via Google search.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic lost in the final at Queen's to Lopez and, of course, the final at W to Roger. I don't put much stock in his head, but I'm guessing he'll be looking for some redemption this grass season.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't really buy what people "should" have done in sports. Besides, the under-achiever at Wimbledon is Nadal. :p (By which I mean better results, and maybe one more win.)

Rafa underachieve at Wimbledon? That's hilarious. With his game, mainly the lack of serve and huge backswings, he is lucky as hell to have won any. Surface change was huge for him but Roger being weak as hell in 2008 contributed too.

Anyways hopefully Roger is ready to go, 10 Wimbledon's should be his goal and you need 9 first.