The Fall of Rafael Nadal

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
PS: CD, are your ribs all healed up? Hope so.

negative.

I fell from 10 feet and landed on my back.

some ribs were broken in many places.

I still have pain but I am walking, running, and doing some light weight lifting already.

i think i will start my cycling again soon also.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
negative.

I fell from 10 feet and landed on my back.

some ribs were broken in many places.

I still have pain but I am walking, running, and doing some light weight lifting already.

i think i will start my cycling again soon also.
Sorry to hear it's still painful, but glad to hear you're on your feet and working out.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry to hear it's still painful, but glad to hear you're on your feet and working out.

it hurts the most when i am sleeping. i am not able to sleep well.

but i am a man of steel. this fall would have killed or paralyzed most people.

no sooner than i was able to escape from the hospital, i was walking 6-8 miles a day.

4-5 miles a day did not seem like much work so i increased it.

Reactions: britbox

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
nike-quote.jpg

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing with Nadal is that we don't have insider information, medical advice or suchlike.

Nadal has a wrist injury. He'll likely have been told by doctors what workload he's able to put on the wrist. I doubt he's been told to go and practice for hours each day - likely he will have been instructed to perform light duties in case he makes matters worse.

Nadal will have access to medical advice and monitoring around the clock. Without knowing what that advice is, it's harsh to judge his work ethic.

Reactions: Moxie

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't think anyone is critical of the work ethic as Rafa delicately recovered from his wrist injury.

I think the criticism comes into play when he was healthy prior to that and decisions that were made.
For example: why did he play in Miami instead of having a good long training block on clay after Indian Wells?

Respectfully,
masterclass

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think anyone is critical of the work ethic as Rafa delicately recovered from his wrist injury.

I think the criticism comes into play when he was healthy prior to that and decisions that were made.
For example: why did he play in Miami instead of having a good long training block on clay after Indian Wells?

Respectfully,
masterclass

I agree on the scheduling... Rafa's scheduling has raised eyebrows often. If he turns up in Cinci then it will raise some more... but on his training regime - we don't know what he's being advised.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Respectfully,
masterclass

there is a huge issue with the work ethic.

he takes endless vacations and takes on countless array of extracurricular activities.

he has said himself that he doesn't like to practice. dramatic decline in his fitness and the significant decline in his physicality is a a very real function of lack of any real desire to get back in the saddle.

anyway I am moving on from here. this is my last post.

my work is done here. I came here for just one reason: to help britbox grow his forum.

I don't see much reciprocity. looks like I always go 10,000 miles for people and nobody ever bothers to return the kindness.

I made one lousy simple request to sticky the flushing meadows thread. it has been ignored.

i wont ask again as i wont be here again.

MTF reached out to me offered me a chance to get back. high brass there concluded that i had been judged unfairly by some people there in the past. those people have moved on obviously.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If I'd read the post I'd have stickied but been out most of the day and read mainly Olympic stuff over the last few hours since you requested it.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution and good luck with MTF.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
there is a huge issue with the work ethic.

he takes endless vacations and takes on countless array of extracurricular activities.

he has said himself that he doesn't like to practice. dramatic decline in his fitness and the significant decline in his physicality is a a very real function of lack of any real desire to get back in the saddle.

anyway I am moving on from here. this is my last post.

my work is done here. I came here for just one reason: to help britbox grow his forum.

I don't see much reciprocity. looks like I always go 10,000 miles for people and nobody ever bothers to return the kindness.

I made one lousy simple request to sticky the flushing meadows thread. it has been ignored.

i wont ask again as i wont be here again.

MTF reached out to me offered me a chance to get back. high brass there concluded that i had been judged unfairly by some people there in the past. those people have moved on obviously.

One thing is to make some critics about players even our favs but another thing very diferent is to critic constantly a player who is trying to give all that he has even when he didn't have too much after that marathon
Rafael Nadal had done History despite his injuries which have hurted him so much making that he couldn't get more achievements and also blocking him mentally for awhile
But he has showed his professionalism and his friendship which not many players are able to do it . He has gone through very bad times but like Phoenix he stands up
What he has done in this Olympics is amazing, he got the GM doubles and he has been close to reach the final in spite of his marathon and after have been two months out of the court and having a short time to practices.
So because all of that I can't believe that someone can constantly critizing him so badly and wrong like you has done post after post since I started in this blog, I think that's very unfair, madness and hopeless toward a great person who has the best reputation in and out of court like Rafael Nadal is.
And not, you don't look to be his best fan, you are his detractor which I think is very disgraceful and showing that you have not any remote idea what he has gone through and how hard has been to recovery in the past and in the present of his injuries
Hey, he has enough with all his antis, he doesn't need any more trash :eek:

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
rafa admits that he is struggling with fitness. we know that already buster.

more excuses and more lip service. of course we know that rafa.

you run to one vacation after another and then you claim you are not fit. what does wrist injury have to do with fitness?

and then try to play all 3 events in Rio. why even bother with Rio.

should have been home in Mallorca on clay while also working on your fitness daily.

depleted state of fitness and fresh from wrist injury is just asking to snatch another injury if you play all 3 events.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...wn-Olympic-programme/articleshow/53497127.cms

I know it isn't rocket science, but another unfortunately correct prediction General.

He only played 2 Olympic events and did get a Gold in doubles, which was all his fitness could allow him to do, and the next event in Cinci exacerbated his problems. He got hustled out of Cinci early by Borna Coric 6-1, 6-3 after straining his shoulder and elbow according to him in his press conf.:

Q. What specifically was the issue with you at the end of the first set that you called for the trainer?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, I feeled the arm too tired. Elbow, shoulder. You know, two months and a half without competing, and especially without practicing, and then do what I did in the Olympics, come here, different balls, too much.

It's not the ideal situation to come back to the competition. After two months and a half and with an injury in the wrist, the normal thing is try to come back a little bit slower.

But having the Olympics there I didn't had that chance. Now I pay. I pay that, no? Was a little bit too much and my body was to the limit since after the finish of Rio.

I came here; I tried. I tried to do the right things to be ready, but obvious that I was not ready today.

Rafa's mind is making promises his body admittedly can't keep. A good way to suffer injury, no? But it's his choice.

These injuries appear to have been rather minor, since he is back practicing in New York for the US Open, but let's see how far he goes there and how he comes out of it physically. A bad wrist is nothing to mess with. Ask Del Potro. Even if he doesn't hurt it more, one tends to compensate for the weakened joint and suffer other injuries. It's common knowledge.

I hear Rafa has already signed up to play in Brisbane in early January 2017 (1st-8th). I was hoping he would avoid the early hard court season and come back on clay, but I guess he has other ideas.

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
A loss to Lucas Pouille in the 4th round of the US Open completed the worst slam season of Nadal since before he won his first major in 2005.
Not even a QF. Well, as has been mentioned in other threads, Rafa has a lot of matches in him. He is getting close to 1000 and many great players stop getting to finals after that sort of mileage.

After the US Open, instead of shutting things down, healing completely, and working on his fitness and game for next year, he decided to play the fall hard court season, claiming he was improving even though results were not there..

He lost to Dimitrov today 6-2, 6-4 in the Beijing China Open. The scored doesn't really matter.
He didn't hold serve 5 times in a row, not until 0-2 in the 2nd set.

Nadal said "it was a disaster". His forehand was awful. He is completely right.
He gets one or two good matches in, then an awful one.

It's sad to say, but these seem like only more signs that he is near the end.

He accomplished a lot.
He has a ton of money in the bank, a new Academy of Tennis and museum for his legacy, a loving family, and millions of die-hard fans.
He is playing, but he seems rather like the old professional expert safe-cracker that has broken into one too many safes and is no longer reliable.
He knows what he is supposed to do, but the years, wear, tear and nerves won't let him do it anymore day in, day out.
It happens to all.

He is now just a shadow of the once great Clay Warrior.

Sadly,
masterclass

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^^^
Even if what you say is true, Masterclass, he is one of the great warriors of our sport ever! He has been an immense blessing to the game and seems to be a stand-up guy--a regular guy, who is (hopefully) likely thinking of settling down with the lovely Xisca and enjoying life in the Balearic Islands (oh, that I could be so lucky). I still think he may have one more French in him, as I said earlier this year. If Sampras could do it on grass, then Rafa should be able to catch that lightning in a bottle on clay. We will see, as I do now firmly believe 2017 may be the last best shot.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
@shawnbm, that is what I wished for him... but it's getting more and more difficult for me to see it.
But as I said in other threads, I won't count him completely out till he hangs it up. He's too great a player, especially on clay.

Respectfully,
masterclass.

Reactions: shawnbm

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
^^^
Even if what you say is true, Masterclass, he is one of the great warriors of our sport ever! He has been an immense blessing to the game and seems to be a stand-up guy--a regular guy, who is (hopefully) likely thinking of settling down with the lovely Xisca and enjoying life in the Balearic Islands (oh, that I could be so lucky). I still think he may have one more French in him, as I said earlier this year. If Sampras could do it on grass, then Rafa should be able to catch that lightning in a bottle on clay. We will see, as I do now firmly believe 2017 may be the last best shot.

How nice of you to try bring some lightness to this thread where it's bash Rafa all day, every day.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
One thing is to make some critics about players even our favs but another thing very diferent is to critic constantly a player who is trying to give all that he has even when he didn't have too much after that marathon
Rafael Nadal had done History despite his injuries which have hurted him so much making that he couldn't get more achievements and also blocking him mentally for awhile
But he has showed his professionalism and his friendship which not many players are able to do it . He has gone through very bad times but like Phoenix he stands up
What he has done in this Olympics is amazing, he got the GM doubles and he has been close to reach the final in spite of his marathon and after have been two months out of the court and having a short time to practices.
So because all of that I can't believe that someone can constantly critizing him so badly and wrong like you has done post after post since I started in this blog, I think that's very unfair, madness and hopeless toward a great person who has the best reputation in and out of court like Rafael Nadal is.
And not, you don't look to be his best fan, you are his detractor which I think is very disgraceful and showing that you have not any remote idea what he has gone through and how hard has been to recovery in the past and in the present of his injuries
Hey, he has enough with all his antis, he doesn't need any more trash :eek:

It's sad, isn't it? All trash, every day, 24-7. Scrutinize every other player this way. Not just Rafa.

Who spends that much time criticizing a 14 time major winner that way? How totally disrespectful and cruel. And no, it isn't borne out of concern either. But don't say anything about their favorite. They get downright indignant. I've never seen such cruelty, except at Talk Tennis.

Let this thread die. It's not worth any time at all. I only came in here because I saw your name. I feel soiled for even viewing this thread.

Last edited:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It's interesting that you call Rafa's gf Xisca, even though in his book that I started reading he says he calls her Mary.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's interesting that you call Rafa's gf Xisca, even though in his book that I started reading he says he calls her Mary.
That would be a translation. He does call her María, though. Xisca is a common nickname for María Francisca and has been adopted by the media. In the same vein, Rafa's family usually call him "Rafael."