The Fall of Rafael Nadal

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lets just say these are steps in the right direction as far as his progress is concerned.

at least he is out there playing and competing.

is he going to win the gold in singles? the answer is NO.

is he going to win the U.S. Open or any other remaining hard court event in 2016? again the answer is NO.

is he going to be able to make an impression on the red clay next year? well that is up to him but it will take some extreme sacrifices.

he is passionate about the Olympics. lets hope he can keep it going.

I think if Andy can get a win tomorrow he is going to town. he has a better chance of snatching a gold in singles.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to Nadal for his second gold, he's much better in OG than both Federer and Nole

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
negative. the decline is definitive and clear to the objective observers of the sport.

he is a little fired up at the Olympics. I am just glad there are no injuries. I was worried that he may compound the wrist injury.

we will take these wins obviously. maybe this can get his competitive juices flowing again.

it is all good as long as there are no injuries. especially the damn wrist injury which can be recurring and can linger on for a long time.

we need him to arrive healthy and hungry at flushing meadows and go as far as he can.

looks like there is no way to get him off the hard courts.

Superb post. Congrats to Rafa and Marc for capturing the men's doubles gold.

Rafa can obviously win these kinds of doubles titles with his level of fitness given the right partner and opposition, since he only has to cover half the court. Not sure what good it does for his single's game...

Rafa hadn't played since withdrawing at Roland Garros, Perhaps he would have done better to skip Madrid or Rome, and come into Paris in better shape since the wrist was a known problem since Miami. But he didn't and left RG on the table, and Wimbledon and Toronto thereafter, skipping both, resting body and mind with various activities, and then returning to the courts with some relatively light practice.
But in this Olympics, he took a gamble playing considering his lack of preparation and fitness, and has gradually played himself into fair form, especially on his backhand wing, so who knows? He shows a passion for the Olympics that has seemed lacking in other tournaments. He still returns short and the forehand is error prone, but if he positions himself more centrally and relies on his bh wing, he doesn't have to cover as much court.

Del Potro is still in dubious condition. He has won some matches against top players at a high level, but is he fit to go the distance in a tournament? He played very sparingly this season as he is playing not to risk that left wrist again relying on a fairly good serve and tremendous forehand to compensate for his backhand. He is still playing slice predominantly off his bh wing, and as we know, Rafa is quite good against the slice. They both played tough matches yesterday, and we don't know their condition today, but I would give a slight edge to Rafa, The Argentine Assassin's serve and forehand will have to be on fire to have a chance, and he is not fresh like he was at the start of the tournament where he ambushed the Serbian Slayer.

Anyway, I don't think either player can take the singles gold without a lot of help and hopefully neither makes their wrist condition worse in the effort. I'm not sure either will play next week in Cincinnati. But the US Open looms in two weeks and their fitness will be put to the test.

Thereafter it might not be a bad idea for them both to pretty much shut it down for the rest of the year, and work on getting 100% fit for 2017. It might be their most important year.

Respectfully,
masterclass

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Superb post. Congrats to Rafa and Marc for capturing the men's doubles gold.

Rafa can obviously win these kinds of doubles titles with his level of fitness given the right partner and opposition, since he only has to cover half the court. Not sure what good it does for his single's game...

Rafa hadn't played since withdrawing at Roland Garros, Perhaps he would have done better to skip Madrid or Rome, and come into Paris in better shape since the wrist was a known problem since Miami. But he didn't and left RG on the table, and Wimbledon and Toronto thereafter, skipping both, resting body and mind with various activities, and then returning to the courts with some relatively light practice.
But in this Olympics, he took a gamble playing considering his lack of preparation and fitness, and has gradually played himself into fair form, especially on his backhand wing, so who knows? He shows a passion for the Olympics that has seemed lacking in other tournaments. He still returns short and the forehand is error prone, but if he positions himself more centrally and relies on his bh wing, he doesn't have to cover as much court.

Del Potro is still in dubious condition. He has won some matches against top players at a high level, but is he fit to go the distance in a tournament? He played very sparingly this season as he is playing not to risk that left wrist again relying on a fairly good serve and tremendous forehand to compensate for his backhand. He is still playing slice predominantly off his bh wing, and as we know, Rafa is quite good against the slice. They both played tough matches yesterday, and we don't know their condition today, but I would give a slight edge to Rafa, The Argentine Assassin's serve and forehand will have to be on fire to have a chance, and he is not fresh like he was at the start of the tournament where he ambushed the Serbian Slayer.

Anyway, I don't think either player can take the singles gold without a lot of help and hopefully neither makes their wrist condition worse in the effort. I'm not sure either will play next week in Cincinnati. But the US Open looms in two weeks and their fitness will be put to the test.

Thereafter it might not be a bad idea for them both to pretty much shut it down for the rest of the year, and work on getting 100% fit for 2017. It might be their most important year.

Respectfully,
masterclass

remarkable post.

that is 100% spot on and 100% spin free as usual.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
rafa has work to do.

del potro even spotted him the first set.

luck sides with those who are most prepared.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
rafa has work to do.

del potro even spotted him the first set.

luck sides with those who are most prepared.

I kinda have to stop you here. Rafa, after some 18 or whatever hours on the court, and winning a gold medal in doubles in a grueling and entertaining match yesterday, came out today and left blood, sweat and tears on the court today against Juan Martín. Del Potro didn't spot him the first set. He won it. And he very nearly won the match. You can "pfft" it away with "Rafa has work to do," if you want, but most of us saw a very committed Nadal all week, and he made a superhuman effort. The guy hadn't even played a match since May. He did a great job. He busted his ass. It may not have impressed you, but it impressed a lot of people, and I reckon it did the locker room, too.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he has not won a title on the hard courts since 2013. he is not going to start winning titles on the hard courts now with a limited game and limited fitness.

I told you this yesterday moxie: gold medal was not going to happen for him in singles.

hard court titles are out of his reach.

even nalbandian has told you the same thing I have been saying for a long time:

it is clay or the exit.

I say it is clay or nothing.

he picked up a little bit of Olympic glory in doubles but where does that leave him in singles.

his shots lack depth, pace, and spin. his movement is suspect.

bellucci is not exactly a star today. del potro has not played much tennis in years.

rafa would have lost to andy tomorrow anyway. we all want him to win every single match and win titles but you have to take reality on the
ground into account:

he landed in rio and said he is short on fitness and has practiced near zero in 2 months. whose fault is that?

how long can you go on making these types of excuses? that is all he has done at every single event he shows up at. he says he is not the favorite against anyone.

have you ever heard of any other all time great do that?

have you ever heard of roger go into wimbledon and say that he doesn't care to win since he has won enough already?

these top players are game's greatest competitors and they play to win. and the only way to win consistently is to prepare properly and to prepare well.

rafa could have won this match and also the gold medal tomorrow with better fitness and better preparation and better focus.

he will win nothing unless he is willing to make some sacrifices and commit totally to his profession.

about the only thing to expect now because it just keeps happening is injuries and then the excuses.

he can fix that if he wants to.

time is in very short supply. he has to make his move.

nobody really gives a damn about the Olympics. they will be forgotten about in a month.

he is on the ATP tour. not the Olympics tour.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At this point, I think you're just committed to your position that he's unfit, and you're too stubborn to see progress. That's fine. I'll see you on the flip-side.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At this point, I think you're just committed to your position that he's unfit, and you're too stubborn to see progress. That's fine. I'll see you on the flip-side.

I just want to see huge body of training blocks and hard yards on the fitness and physicality front.

I am getting tired of the excuses. while the injuries are a part and parcel of this sport or any sport, players have to be able to manage them and even overcome them.

10 injuries in the last 7 years unheard of for an all time great. many of them could have been prevented with greater commitment to fitness.

he has left countless slams and masters events on the table.

he had just 3 more slams to go to tie roger and he decided to call the dogs off.

he and roger both could have sailed off into the sunset together as the game's greatest players.

he was plenty healthy last year and yet failed to win anything. so it is not just the injuries:

he just has no real desire to put in the time and the hard yards needed to compete effectively.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
his effort at the Olympics does suggest some progress:

at least he is out there playing and competing. now he has to build on what he started at the Olympics.

he showed some desire and some heart. I think those are steps in the right direction.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't see how you can look at the Iron-Man performance he put in this week and still say he's not fit, that he doesn't put in the hard yards, and that he doesn't have any real desire or commitment. That is patently ludicrous. And stop making out like he's responsible for his injuries. Do you blame Kuerten or Hewitt or Tomic for their hips? Agassi for his back? Roger for his? You're just unwilling to walk-back the fact that Rafa did look strong and committed this week. Why can't you give him some credit? #hardheaded

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't see how you can look at the Iron-Man performance he put in this week and still say he's not fit, that he doesn't put in the hard yards, and that he doesn't have any real desire or commitment. That is patently ludicrous. And stop making out like he's responsible for his injuries. Do you blame Kuerten or Hewitt or Tomic for their hips? Agassi for his back? Roger for his? You're just unwilling to walk-back the fact that Rafa did look strong and committed this week. Why can't you give him some credit? #hardheaded

I am a harsh task master.

I am rafa's greatest fan on this planet.

that is why I am also his greatest critic. that is because I care the most.

inspired effort and inspired/passionate heart at the Olympics does not equal any real progress for rafa.

still means zero titles on the hard courts since 2013.

it may show some intent to compete and win again. lets see how it goes in Cinci and at flushing meadows.

at this point I just want to see him shut it down after the u.s. open and go fix the fitness and physicality issues.

he cannot afford anymore injuries. way too much inactivity already in the last 3 years.

inactivity is his greatest enemy. he is basically just beating himself but continuing to show up unfit and unprepared.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
PS: CD, are your ribs all healed up? Hope so.