The Fall of Rafael Nadal

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It's strange that they translated how he calls her. Especially because there is Sharapova and no one calls her Mary normally.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Upon a google search in Spanish, you might be right. I knew he called her by her first name, not Xisca, but it appears to be that he does call her "Mary." How funny. Sorta sweet.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I knew a restaurant owner in Madrid who always called his wife Mari

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Manacor's bull beaten by Troicki in Shanghai's first round...very annoying for his fans

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow! I believe Nadal may wish to consider playing nothing but perhaps London and get to work on doing what he feels he needs to do to get back to where he thinks he can return. Surprising loss for him this week IMHO.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Wow! I believe Nadal may wish to consider playing nothing but perhaps London and get to work on doing what he feels he needs to do to get back to where he thinks he can return. Surprising loss for him this week IMHO.

Perhaps indeed. If he chooses to play just London he will more than likely end up playing nothing at all. I doubt he will choose to go down that quietly.

Saw the end of the match. Apart from two points, were you could see a bit of the old Nadal, the rest was well in ordinary territory. Troicky played quite well indeed. I guess just inside the top 10 reflects perfectly Nadal´s current level of play.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I think Rafa will try to make some impact during clay season next year and then he will decide whether to continue or to retire. He may say goodby at RG.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Rafa will try to make some impact during clay season next year and then he will decide whether to continue or to retire. He may say goodby at RG.
Why?

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
I am a harsh task master.

I am rafa's greatest fan on this planet.

that is why I am also his greatest critic. that is because I care the most.

inspired effort and inspired/passionate heart at the Olympics does not equal any real progress for rafa.

still means zero titles on the hard courts since 2013.

it may show some intent to compete and win again. lets see how it goes in Cinci and at flushing meadows.

at this point I just want to see him shut it down after the u.s. open and go fix the fitness and physicality issues.

he cannot afford anymore injuries. way too much inactivity already in the last 3 years.

inactivity is his greatest enemy. he is basically just beating himself but continuing to show up unfit and unprepared.

General ClayDeath called it correctly and before hand (see bold above). No blind adoration, no spin, he said that Rafa should shut it down after the US Open, and he is not the only one who has said it.

Now after the fact Uncle Toni admits Rafa playing after the US Open was wrong. He lost unnecessarily and played with a wrist that couldn't hit the forehand properly because of the pain, and now they need to stop, recover, and train for next year. Too bad he wasted that time.

This is not rocket science. If Rafa wants a chance at anything big in 2017, Rafa needs to rehabilitate the wrist if it is still bothering him, get his body as fit as he can, so he can avoid unnecessary injury, and then go and get on the clay and train hard.

He still has a small window of opportunity to rise again, as he has so many times, but everything has to be done right and he has to have some luck. Time is not on his side. The younger players want to prove themselves, other players like Murray are working hard to get to the top. Djokovic appears to be having a bit of a mini-crisis and Murray is poised to take advantage. Things don't stand still in this sport.

Respectfully,
masterclass