Super Bowl XLVIII

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The big dance deserves it's separate thread. Who does everyone have?

I am going to wait a bit until I hear the forecast. But without knowing the forecast I'd lean towards Seattle taking it by a score of 24-20 or something like that. One caveat is that this is a much different team once you get out of Seattle but they are still plenty strong regardless. Denver will also have to deal with by far the most mobile QB they've faced all year. Bad weather in New York could be a real problem for Denver. Manning having to deal with that defense in poor conditions would have lots of trouble. As awesome as Manning is the arm strength is no longer there and the Seahawks just fly around the ball (no pun intended).

I am definitely rooting for Denver because I can't stand Seattle. But I'd also be happy for Peyton Manning though I'm not too much of a fan. I think a win in 2 weeks would solidify him as a top 3 QB in NFL history. He's definitely the most accomplished statistically but his playoff stats and wins have been very underwhelming as of now. Winning his 2nd ring would change things considerably.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
There is a weather predictor (2020) that calls for 50 degree and no precipitation. I wish but the seasonal average for Feb 2 it's high 39 and low 20.

Russell Wilson it's OVERRATED, if he wins this I could see some myth start developing like it did with mediocre Tom Brady. Great defense, great coach, great special team and a great kicker it's what carried Brady to his three SB...in addition to cheating but that's another topic.

Anyways, if we get good weather, I like Manning ability to spread the ball and sustain drives. Seattle defense it's actually very simple, there is no gimmicks, rush four and play man to man on the outside. That's not a recipe to beat Manning. He will beat you at the line of screamege most times than not.

As far as defense for Denver, they have to contain Beast Mode. Love the guy, runs with heart and smarts. It's all about putting the game on Russell Wilson hands, the 49rs should have won the game if it wasn't for Kap Romo like antics in the 4er and the Zebras of course.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
There is a weather predictor (2020) that calls for 50 degree and no precipitation. I wish but the seasonal average for Feb 2 it's high 39 and low 20.

Russell Wilson it's OVERRATED, if he wins this I could see some myth start developing like it did with mediocre Tom Brady. Great defense, great coach, great special team and a great kicker it's what carried Brady to his three SB...in addition to cheating but that's another topic.

Anyways, if we get good weather, I like Manning ability to spread the ball and sustain drives. Seattle defense it's actually very simple, there is no gimmicks, rush four and play man to man on the outside. That's not a recipe to beat Manning. He will beat you at the line of screamege most times than not.

As far as defense for Denver, they have to contain Beast Mode. Love the guy, runs with heart and smarts. It's all about putting the game on Russell Wilson hands, the 49rs should have won the game if it wasn't for Kap Romo like antics in the 4er and the Zebras of course.

It's by far the best offense Seattle has faced and by far the best defense that Denver has faced. I think Manning's arm strength might be an issue in this game unless Welker and Decker are left free in the slot often. Because the Thomases and everyone else is probably not getting free downfield at all. Seattle's secondary is sick.

I agree that Wilson gets overrated, they have cast him in the nice, humble, mature qb role and that gets him hyped. I think he is more a threat with his legs than his arm in this game.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:

Well, Kap Romo didn't win the game. So there's that! And, Wilson is overrated? Who's overrating him? He's been nothing but ripped-on for the past 4-5 weeks by the so-called "experts" at ESPN.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
huntingyou said:

Well, Kap Romo didn't win the game. So there's that! And, Wilson is overrated? Who's overrating him? He's been nothing but ripped-on for the past 4-5 weeks by the so-called "experts" at ESPN.

ESPN has no football experts

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The forecast is calling for a high of 36, light wind and possibly snow showers or rain. So not too cold but obviously any kind of snow or rain would be a big factor.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
huntingyou said:
I. Haychew said:
huntingyou said:

ESPN has no football experts

I agree except for Da Coach. IMO he's the only one who played and coached at an extremely high level.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Only 1 more day and I must say I'm pretty pumped for this game as I find it more intriguing than most Super Bowls. It is strength vs. strength and relative weakness vs. relative weakness. And it doesn't appear that weather will play much of a factor (snow would have been cool in a way but that'd have tipped things heavily in Seattle's favor IMO).

If I was going to have one key to the game for each team it'd be:

Denver - Play a clean game meaning no turnovers (or just 1) and few penalties. I think if it is a "clean game" where no one wins the turnover battle, there are few penalties and few mental mistakes than Denver has the clear edge. In that type of game I think Denver will just score more points against the great defense than the mediocre Seattle offense will against the mediocre Denver defense. Seattle has that amazing defense so part of what makes the team so great is that they are often winning the turnover battle.

Seattle - I think they should surprise Denver and come out passing the ball early. Denver and everyone else will be expecting a heavy dose of Lynch early and often and that means they are going to have 8 in the box often on 1st and 2nd down. Wilson has not played well since the start of December but I think he is ultimately going to have to make some plays if they are going to win this game. Sometimes teams will run early to set up the pass, I think this is a game where they should be willing to come out and pass a lot in order to set up the run and keep Denver guessing.

I still am picking Seattle but I hope it is Denver. I just think in a close matchup it is going to be a turnover/turnovers that decides it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Will be rooting for the Donkeys. Generally dislike them but always been a big fan of Manning and another ring will go a long way to dispelling the myths that he can't get the job done in the post season. Usually root for the AFC team in any event.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In Januray of 1995, I watched Peyton Manning play against Nebraska (my alma mater)
live in Miami in Bowl Game and lose. At that time Nebraska's quarterback was Tommy Frazier.
But, unbelievably he had no success at all beyond college. He could not even get into NFL.
He played in Canada for some time and then came back to Nebraska as a assistant coach.

Anyway, I was rooting against Peyton that day. Now, almost 20 years afterwards,
I would still root against him (just for old time sake).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Bruno Mars I'm afraid. It's past time they spice it up and make some controversy. Call up Janet!! or bring in Miley.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Super Bowl fricken Sunday and my wife has arranged a life insurance policy meeting with some suits at the bank.

Super Bowl Sunday has always been a ritual for me. When I was a kid in the UK, I used to stay up to the early hours with snacks, chocolate and coke before later migrating to beer and parties. All rounded off with a special import official Super Bowl programme. It was a always a special event on the britbox calendar.

Since I moved to Oz, it's now on Monday morning... and I'm due in the fricken bank to bullshit how much I drink and smoke (in mother theresa proportions)and how my ancestors all lived until they were 105.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Brutal, just brutal. Super Bowl Sunday is one of the best days of the year for me. It is the only time I bother watching pre-game commentary now. Even if it is teams I don't care for it is still always amazing to watch the last 2 teams left standing go at it with everything on the line.

I think this one figures to be better than most. It has a ton of intrigue. Of course now that I say that it figures to be a dud!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Bruno Mars I'm afraid. It's past time they spice it up and make some controversy. Call up Janet!! or bring in Miley.

Red Hot Chili Peppers will be there as well.