Super Bowl XLIX

Pick it!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Common sense says Brady definitely knows about it, the question is whether the emperor did and I'd think he would as well. Even if he didn't it might come back on him...whole Goodell slogan of "ignorance is no excuse"

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
And Brady denies any knowledge too. What a shock! Clearly it was some random small-time employee on the Pats that decided to take it on himself to deflate the balls. Billy Boy and Thomas have no motives to lie about this right?

It will be interesting to see what happens here. They can't really prove Belichick or Brady knew about it so what kind of penalty can they give? And can they penalize Belichick if they simply choose not to believe him? Obviously this is not the court of law and it's clear that someone deflated the balls after they were presented to the game's officials. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was someone in the Patriot's organization.

To be honest, I think it was Kraft and Brady more so than Belichick. Kraft is a sleazeball. His face should be on an eternal poster that says "The Face of a Dirty Old Man".

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt Palpatine is innocent in all of this. He likely knew about it but the driving force almost certainly is Brady. I doubt it's the first time they've done it. They didn't wake up last Sunday and say "oh we are playing against the Colts at home, a team we've absolutely destroyed the last few years, let's better our chances."

But with both denying it the investigation will likely conclude after the Super Bowl and without absolute proof the most punishment they'll receive is a fine and maybe they'll be stripped of a low draft pick. That's why I'm shocked people are surprised no one is fessing up. Why would they? It'd almost certainly mean one or both would be suspended from the Super Bowl and likely parts of the 2015 season.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:
And Brady denies any knowledge too. What a shock! Clearly it was some random small-time employee on the Pats that decided to take it on himself to deflate the balls. Billy Boy and Thomas have no motives to lie about this right?

It will be interesting to see what happens here. They can't really prove Belichick or Brady knew about it so what kind of penalty can they give? And can they penalize Belichick if they simply choose not to believe him? Obviously this is not the court of law and it's clear that someone deflated the balls after they were presented to the game's officials. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was someone in the Patriot's organization.

To be honest, I think it was Kraft and Brady more so than Belichick. Kraft is a sleazeball. His face should be on an eternal poster that says "The Face of a Dirty Old Man".

Kraft? I doubt he's involved at that level. Brady and Belicheck. But like Darth said - nobody will own up and it will take a whistleblower to bring it to a head.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is all much ado about nothing--unless and until you can prove no other team has EVER slightly under or overinflated balls (and that has come out during this) AND--most importantly--you can show the opposing team played with the monkeyed balls whilst the home team had "perfectly" inflated balls when they were on offense. I mean--did not both teams use the same balls during the game? Setting all of that aside (and I am no Pats fan as I grew up idolizing the Miami Dolphins), is it not well known that inflating a space that is not airtight in a acclimatised room of ambient temperature and humidity sets this up for deflation once the balls are taken out into the far less humid and ice cold temperatures of New England? Will not there be an automatic drop in air pressure over time?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Both teams do not play with the same balls. Each offense uses their own balls. (don't feel bad about not knowing that as I did not know that until this happened either). I think it has been released that the Colts balls were not underinflated so using the weather to explain it seems dubious. Also it must be pointed out that the procedures are for the teams to give their balls to the refs before the game and they check the pressure. So barring something bizarre it appears that someone let some of the air out of the balls after they passed the refs inspection. It is innocent until proven guilty but that seems to be the only logical explanation as of now.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The plot thickens.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12232207/nfl-looking-new-england-patriots-locker-room-attendant-deflategate-investigation

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
People have come forward to confess...

http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/editors-picks/20150130-bostonians-on-deflate-gate-matt-damon-ben-affleck-john-krasinski-chris-evans

(quite humorous)

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay, so here is my take on the game.

The aspect that I will enjoy the most is the secondary play on both sides. You have maybe the best secondary match-up in the Super Bowl in the last 10 years. Elite talent on both sides, with Sherman v. Revis on the same field, in addition to Thomas, Browner, and Chancellor. In my opinion, Chancellor is the best of all of them.

I would also add that I think Chancellor is the best player on either team. He is simply a phenomenal football player. Hopefully his injury in practice on Friday wasn't that bad and hopefully Sherman and Thomas will also be able to play to their normal level.

That said, I think the Seahawks have a couple clear advantages:

1) Assuming that the secondary is healthy, the Seahawks are entirely capable of blanketing every receiver the Patriots have. The Seahawks will swarm Gronkowski like they have Jimmy Graham in recent years and likely force the others to step up. It is hard to imagine Lafell, let alone Edelman or Amendola, winning their 1-on-1 match-ups much at all in this game.

2) LaGarette Blount is a great running back, but the Seahawks are fast enough to not allow him to find any rhythm in this game. He had a fabulous day against Indy, but he had basically no yards against Baltimore. If you're a Patriot fan, you can probably expect him to have somewhere in between those two extremes today. Blount can be a gamechanger in this one, but he may also be stifled. It's hard to tell, but I don't think his impact alone will sway the outcome. He will make a couple great plays but probably be thwarted for the most part.

3) Pete Carroll is a magnificent offensive playcaller in the big games, going back to his USC days. After the anomaly against Green Bay, I expect him to be extra sharp with his gameplan and in utilizing crossing routes to stretch the field in his vintage USC style. Carroll is probably the most important person on the field tonight given his gameplanning brilliance.

4) Russell Wilson's rough day against the Packers was maybe the worst thing that could have happened to New England before playing the Seahawks. He will be determined to have a much better day and be much sharper. Plus, he is a good runner. I expect him to have, if not a great game, at least a solid game that puts the Seahawks in position to win.

5) The Patriots are going to have a very difficult time stopping Lynch, especially if the Seattle passing game gives Lynch some help early on. The Patriots' strength on defense is their back 4, and their linebackers are unexceptional. I expect Lynch to have at least 100 yards and I wouldn't be surprised if he went for even 200 or 250. Revis and Browner, talented as they are, can't affect the running game very much, and Carroll is going to give them more than enough to worry about in terms of defending crossing patterns and dealing with the Seahawks' receivers' speed (which is the strength of the Seattle wideouts).

6) The Seahawks defense will take the challenge of facing Brady very personally and very passionately. Unless the secondary's injuries are a huge hindrance, I expect them to dominate this game.

Last year I predicted Seahawks 36, Broncos 17 and I was being too nice apparently. I will go this year with Seahawks 34, Patriots 13.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The Super Bowl is today?! Don't really care which team wins. Seahawks I guess. Katy Perry for the halftime show? She can't sing live so I hope the lip syncing goes well. Lenny Kravitz should just shove Katy off the stage and take over.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think the Empire will prevail today. They have a point to prove.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Did they check the footballs?:snicker

Congratulations to Darth's man AR for winning the MVP trophy. I was sad for you when they lost, DF.:hug

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Not a very compelling 1st quarter by any means...Pats didn't look good and Seahawks looked even worse.:puzzled

I guess that happens as there is a lot at stake here, hopefully we'll see better football from now on.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pats going to win based on this banged up secondary. This is what having a great coaching staff looks like. Backup comes in from this Godly secondary, let's go right after him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:

Congratulations to Darth's man AR for winning the MVP trophy. I was sad for you when they lost, DF.:hug

I'm still recovering from that disgrace. I feel bad for AR, he's wasting his prime with a badly underachieving team with one of the worst coaches in the league.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pats secondary is owning this game. Have to admit I'm surprised to see Seattle not attack more unconventionally, they should've known coming in they weren't going to get much downfield.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Billie said:

I'm still recovering from that disgrace. I feel bad for AR, he's wasting his prime with a badly underachieving team with one of the worst coaches in the league.

I know how you felt...probably like me when Nole loses a major final, not in a mood for anything.:nono

At least you can take comfort that he did everything he could for that team, it is hard in team sports to find all the right pieces for winning big titles.