Super Bowl 50

Who wins?

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Von Miller, a linebacker, got the MVP, so that tells you something about how it was on the defense. I wonder how many defensive players have ever won the MVP in the SB.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
A surprising amount. Going to say no less than 5 defensive players have won it. Denver's defense proved it was the best unit of any team in the NFL. They made a lot of great offenses and great qb's look silly this year. I am happy for Peyton too, probably the "right" time to hang up the jersey

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The. Best team won, however a poorly played game by the Panthers on both sides of the ball. The officiating was absolutely dreadful and Peyton was reduced to being a game manager qb.The Orange crush was spectacular and dominated the offensive line of the Panthers. Congrats to Peyton, he has two rings

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The old man cannot get it done this time. Go Panthers!

Panthers by 10.

Hey GSM, the fan boy rose colored glasses, prevented you from seeing this. If Broncos, can stop Tom Brady and their offense, how could you think they will have difficulty stopping Panthers, who have never won the SB before. :cover.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Panthers by two touchdowns..I think the Panthers defense will have a big Fay vs Peyton..too bad I like that dude

Good Job AP, You called it. Two touchdowns. Just a small typo. Wrong team.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
The. Best team won, however a poorly played game by the Panthers on both sides of the ball. The officiating was absolutely dreadful and Peyton was reduced to being a game manager qb.The Orange crush was spectacular and dominated the offensive line of the Panthers. Congrats to Peyton, he has two rings

No questions, Broncos was best. It was almost embarrassing watching it as a Panther's fan.
CN was sacked dozen times (ok slightly less), connected less than 50% on his passes, etc.
The only saving grace was he avoided the safety at the last minute. :cover

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
Panthers by two touchdowns..I think the Panthers defense will have a big Fay vs Peyton..too bad I like that dude

Good Job AP, You called it. Two touchdowns. Just a small typo. Wrong team.

Thanks, I tried my best :lolz:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A surprising amount. Going to say no less than 5 defensive players have won it. Denver's defense proved it was the best unit of any team in the NFL. They made a lot of great offenses and great qb's look silly this year. I am happy for Peyton too, probably the "right" time to hang up the jersey
I looked it up and it was 7. (Technically 8, as 2 guys were named in SB XII.) But you think that a surprising amount. Out of 50 Super Bowls. It's still not a lot of love for the power of the defense.

Reactions: Billie

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Great defense is as important as great offense and the recent Super Bowl champions are a testament to that. With that said the majority of impact plays are usually made by offensive players. That's just the way it is. Look at league MVP's, only 2 defensive players have won it with Lawrence Taylor being the last to do it over 30 years ago. J.J. Watt might be the best player in the NFL but even his own team would take a top 5 QB over him in a heartbeat.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I get it, and the MVPs are far and away most often the QB. Defense is more the unsung hero. Kinda like tennis. ;)

Reactions: DarthFed

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I get it, and the MVPs are far and away most often the QB. Defense is more the unsung hero. Kinda like tennis. ;)

I think it is a good comparison. :yes:

8 out of 50 is really not that many. Their QBs must have sucked or didn't matter that much in those games.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
There was also a special teams player winning it so 41 of 50 won by offense, 8 won by defense and 1 won by special teams. It is quite the disparity but I'm surprised it's not more of one. Certainly the game we just saw featured one of the greatest defensive performances in a Super Bowl by Von Miller and yet if this game had turned into a shootout or if Carolina had won he wouldn't have been MVP.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I knew why you were partial to it B-)
I handed you a softball on that one. You're welcome. And I did see there was one special teams guy: Desmond Howard, who won it for your team, GB.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I was in 6th grade but I remember that game and season like it was yesterday.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was in 6th grade but I remember that game and season like it was yesterday.
It's strange but I can remember where I was for nearly every Super Bowl.
I watched that one and at the time was working with a bunch of Americans on a defense project. They were all Boeing guys, but most of them didn't stay up for it (it was a late nighter in the UK)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

The only one I remember being bad was the non-catch after instant replay. That definitely was a catch and it ended up being huge because Cam fumbled for a touchdown on 3rd down. It's possible Carolina wins without that call but who knows. Overall they were outplayed.