Some Isner Love

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really enjoyed this piece from Tennis.com about Isner. I think he has done a lot with his game. I definitely think he is under appreciated in the U.S. but that is life. What do others think?

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/08/defense-john-isner/52470/#.U_TfokifiYU

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it's fine for McGrogan to defend Isner, though I see some of the comments took him to task for it. I think John seems like a good guy…affable, sweet. But the problem is right up front in the article, and it's the same one that Raonic has. People don't like his game. Big serving is pretty boring, when the rest of the game is not that compelling. I'm amongst those who will say that Big John and Milos both have improved their movement and rally shots, but they're both still relatively poor on ROS, so folks tend to leave the room and come back for the (nearly) inevitable tie-breaker.

I guess here in the US, people would like a great champion again, not just "he's the best we've got." I'm happy for Isner to do well, as long as I don't have to watch too much of it.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I think it's fine for McGrogan to defend Isner, though I see some of the comments took him to task for it. I think John seems like a good guy…affable, sweet. But the problem is right up front in the article, and it's the same one that Raonic has. People don't like his game. Big serving is pretty boring, when the rest of the game is not that compelling. I'm amongst those who will say that Big John and Milos both have improved their movement and rally shots, but they're both still relatively poor on ROS, so folks tend to leave the room and come back for the (nearly) inevitable tie-breaker.

I guess here in the US, people would like a great champion again, not just "he's the best we've got." I'm happy for Isner to do well, as long as I don't have to watch too much of it.

I agree with most of this. John's game is not beautiful, but he deserves credit for doing a lot with it. He also the best we got. It's not his fault there isn't a Roddick left, much less an agassi or sampras.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I really enjoyed this piece from Tennis.com about Isner. I think he has done a lot with his game. I definitely think he is under appreciated in the U.S. but that is life. What do others think?

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/08/defense-john-isner/52470/#.U_TfokifiYU

I have mucho respect for Isner.

it is SO easy to dismiss him as a big server.

But he is in fact, a VERY good tennis player. His forehand is no joke...he can volley...he has
darn good smarts too.

He is a consummate professional and a FIGHTER.

Unlike some, who put on the "nice guy" act for the press, I really think he is a nice guy.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I've always appreciated Isner. As other have stated, he's more than just a big server. I remember seeing him defeat Djokovic a few years back at Indian Wells or Miami, and he was freakish off both the forehand and backhand wings. He's transformed himself into a much more complete player over the years.

In saying that, and I'll be perfectly honest here - I don't really like watching him play. If I turn the TV on and see him in a match against an opponent who I am not familiar with, I won't watch it. But that's just me.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
His forehand was immense against Murray at Cincy but he played a terrible 3rd set TB. That match was still the best I've seen from him in a long time though and with a little more consistency he could do a lot of damage in tournaments outside the US. Quite why he hasn't is puzzling.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
His forehand was immense against Murray at Cincy but he played a terrible 3rd set TB. That match was still the best I've seen from him in a long time though and with a little more consistency he could do a lot of damage in tournaments outside the US. Quite why he hasn't is puzzling.

I thought much the same when he beat Fed on Clay at Davis Cup a few years ago.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good thread, Riotbeard!

These are the players I appreciate more, the ones like Ferrer and Isner who make the most out of what they have. Not hugely gifted but honest in their endeavors and with the will and the record of taking big scalps along the way. Hard workers. Isner isn't pretty to watch, but nor was Connors. There's a lot of more talented players than Big John who never did half as much as him.

The article is very good about him too, covering a lot of ground...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember, Isner almost got Nadal at the holy grounds of RG and that too in 1st round.
If he had finished the job, nobody would bother to remember Steve Darcis who took
out Rafa in 1st round in Wimbledon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Remember, Isner almost got Nadal at the holy grounds of RG and that too in 1st round.
If he had finished the job, nobody would bother to remember Steve Darcis who took

Good point. John actually did beat Fed on clay, in DC, proving that he's one US guy, at least, who's not allergic to the dirt.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He injured himself in WS, will he able to play USO ? hope so

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Good point. John actually did beat Fed on clay, in DC, proving that he's one US guy, at least, who's not allergic to the dirt.

He also has a clay title at Houston. Not the most prestigious, but he does have the 250 surface slam.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
:snigger

Not to say anything disparaging about J.Isner, but 11 posts and less than 150 views is kind of telling. Now at least there are 12 posts. :)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:

Not to say anything disparaging about J.Isner, but 11 posts and less than 150 views is kind of telling. Now at least there are 12 posts. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all know nehmeth is traitor, and doesn't like any American players. Let's get him to Guantanamo :laydownlaughing

Seriously though, it is good to appreciate the players who just aren't really capable of the top level, but add depth to the game and have a real chance for big upsets. Isner is one of the few.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mahut v. Isner - that isn't depth that is friggin' TORTURE.

And there are some American players that I like, just not the giants... and not the brats.... and :puzzled

Okay. I guess I will be watching the tennis from Cuba.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Mahut v. Isner - that isn't depth that is friggin' TORTURE.

And there are some American players that I like, just not the giants... and not the brats.... and :puzzled

Okay. I guess I will be watching the tennis from Cuba.

Yeah that to me is Isner least exciting accomplishment a multiday match against a mediocre frenchmen. When he is playing well though like that win against Fed a couple years ago, he his some beautiful winners and his game is better to watch than he is given credit for. Admittedly those matches are rare.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Don't worry about what some say, RB, I like Isner, he's done the best he can with the tools he has and also tried to enjoy life besides tennis. :clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:

This means not enough people hate him. :lolz:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Isner love = a four set loss, losing all three tiebreaks.

:clap :celeb:

(showing the love)

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Hey man, he is a fighter...he never rolls over...

Can't say I'm sad to see him bounced, but I don't dislike him.

Kohli and Novak will be a prettier match for sure.