The chase for # of slams and weeks at no.1

Big 3 battle: What will Federer end up with?

• Federer will keep both records

• Federer will keep the slam record but lose the weeks at no.1

• Federer will lose the slam record but keep the weeks at no.1

• Federer will lose both records

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer currently holds the record for most slam titles (20) and most weeks at no.1 (310). For years they have been his claim for GOATness.

But both Nadal and Djokovic are making big moves in these categories.

Slam titles won:

Federer 20
Nadal 19

Weeks at no.1:

Federer 310
Djokovic 272

Will Federer be able to hold off these records or will he lose both? Please vote, predict and discuss.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's very difficult to see him holding on to either at this point. Losing Wimbledon plus Gnatal winning the US Open was the worst of both worlds.

When it comes to Slams, Nadal is right there to at least tie, and Djokovic appears to have another 5 good years in him without anyone from the young generation seriously challenging him.

When it comes to weeks at number one, it is very hard to see how Djokovic will not break it at this point.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It's very difficult to see him holding on to either at this point. Losing Wimbledon plus Gnatal winning the US Open was the worst of both worlds.

When it comes to Slams, Nadal is right there to at least tie, and Djokovic appears to have another 5 good years in him without anyone from the young generation seriously challenging him.

When it comes to weeks at number one, it is very hard to see how Djokovic will not break it at this point.

It's inevitable unless someone goes "Tanya Harding" on the guy! If he sneaks thru the YE & holds #1 thru the dead per. of the offseason, it'll be no doubt Djokovic w/b adding yet another record to his resume concerning being a top flight player though Fedal lauded more! :whistle:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

While I agree that Novak should have another 5 good years in him, I'd be rather surprised that amongst all the young ones coming up that there is no one set to mount a challenge in the next 5 years. That would imply yet another generation of also-rans. Whether or not there is an all-time great coming up, there is a panoply of talented players who are hitting or are set to hit their stride. It doesn't need to be one guy becoming the next ONE...it can be a raft of them as potential snags in the road. Djokovic might play well and injury-free for the next 5 years, but I'd be surprised if the youngsters won't be there to block him at times.

As to weeks at #1, he'll probably pass Roger.

Reactions: imjimmy

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Medvedev seems to be a big challenge for Djokovic... Thiem, Zverev, Bautista Agut, Khachanov, Tsitsipas have all had good wins against him. Kyrgios is 2-0 against him. Djokovic is vulnerable to many of the newer players, if they are hot on a certain day then he's in trouble.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
of course Federer will lose both with majors being the one he's going to try harder to keep next year Wimbledon being he's best chance, at this point goat nadal most likely going to win 23-24 grand slams really Djokovic only one who can stop nadal ending with the most slams.

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I agree that Novak should have another 5 good years in him, I'd be rather surprised that amongst all the young ones coming up that there is no one set to mount a challenge in the next 5 years.

Who besides Medvedev (and maybe Berretini)? Btw, I'm not sold at all on Medvedev given the way he lost to Nadal - with Nadal basically flailing and putting the match on a silver platter for him early in the 5th - and also given this strategy of playing 30 feet behind the baseline. I think he really missed a chance to stake his place by losing that US Open final. I'm telling you in the long run he will deeply regret it as a missed opportunity.

That would imply yet another generation of also-rans.

Not necessarily also-rans, just not players on Djokovic's level.

Whether or not there is an all-time great coming up, there is a panoply of talented players who are hitting or are set to hit their stride.

Like who? Lol. I'm afraid this is wishful thinking on your part.

It doesn't need to be one guy becoming the next ONE...it can be a raft of them as potential snags in the road.

Fair point.

Djokovic might play well and injury-free for the next 5 years, but I'd be surprised if the youngsters won't be there to block him at times.

You can get your hopes up but I wouldn't count on that happening too often, especially at Slams. Your better hope is that Thiem keeps it up at Roland Garros and that Wawrinka stays fit and young. He is clearly Djokovic's Slam Kryptonite.

As to weeks at #1, he'll probably pass Roger.

It's hard to see how that won't happen at this point.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Djokovic will surpass everyone, and hold the new records of majors won and weeks at no. 1.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic will surpass everyone, and hold the new records of majors won and weeks at no. 1.

I think Djokovic will surpass Federer with most weeks at No.1 (potentially next year) BUT I am not sure about the most majors won. There is a certain Spaniard that is still playing well and could possibly win at least 2-3 more slams. Also while Federer is 38 years old, he can still snatch 1 more slam before he retires.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even the weeks at no.1 is hard to predict. Nadal can get the no.1 ranking this year and then Djokovic might not do well at the AO and lose even more ground. That means that Nadal keeps it for a while and then who knows maybe it will Medvedev who gets it next. It's going to be interesting next year for both the slam tally and the weeks for no.1, that's for sure.

Reactions: Andy22

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who besides Medvedev (and maybe Berretini)? Btw, I'm not sold at all on Medvedev given the way he lost to Nadal - with Nadal basically flailing and putting the match on a silver platter for him early in the 5th - and also given this strategy of playing 30 feet behind the baseline. I think he really missed a chance to stake his place by losing that US Open final. I'm telling you in the long run he will deeply regret it as a missed opportunity.

I'm sure he already does, and he should. He had an opportunity because he was in the final. He also had a very tight Nadal not playing his best tennis.

Not necessarily also-rans, just not players on Djokovic's level.

There is a solid chance that we don't see anyone on Djokovic's level, or Federer's or Nadal's, for some years to come. However, the Big 3 are all in their 30s. Age slows them down, and even Djokovic is showing a little more inclination to injury. They lose a step, and the youngsters have less fear of them. Of the Lost Generation, the real talents were Dimitrov (underachiever) and Nishikori (oft-injured.) I think there are a lot more players with promise in the 18-24 or so range. Some will disappoint, never realizing early potential, some will be injured too often, but I think that there are enough of them for some cream to rise to the top. Felix is 19, Shapo 20 and Tsitsipas 21...they are far from peak years, in tennis terms. Zverev could yet realize more potential. This is not "wishful thinking" on my part, in terms of blocking Novak...though it IS a hope that there are real tennis stars in the near future, as a tennis fan. As I mentioned above, and you agreed with, it doesn't take a ONE to cause trouble, if there are a fair few potholes in the road. Look at the past 12 months for Djokovic, since we're talking about him: Paris-Bercy - he lost in the final to Khachanov; YEC - he lost in the final to Zverev; RG - missed his chance at the final to Thiem. That's not one player stopping him, but the field of younger players. I actually think that it's you who is trading in the "what is now will be for the next 5 years." Certainly, no one has gotten rich underestimating Novak Djokovic, but to think that there will be no challengers for the next 5 seems short-sighted, to me. Same goes for Federer and Nadal. As to Wawrinka, I think he's mostly done, and I don't see him taking out Novak in any more Slams, nor winning any more.

Reactions: Bonaca

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even the weeks at no.1 is hard to predict. Nadal can get the no.1 ranking this year and then Djokovic might not do well at the AO and lose even more ground. That means that Nadal keeps it for a while

Oh gee, I wonder what you want to happen. Not like you're giving it away or anything. :lol3:

It is still very possible for Nadal to take the number one ranking this year, but he will need Djokovic to flop in 1 of the 3 big remaining events and then himself either get very far at both Paris and World Tour Finals or win one of them. At this point it looks like a toss-up for the simple reason that Djokovic has so much to defend and Nadal has nothing.

A lot is riding on Shanghai this week, so you'd better be rooting hard for Medvedev and Federer to knock him off (and maybe Berretini or Thiem, or even Tsitipas).

Reactions: Bonaca and Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I posted in Fed fan thread the current news that Fed is planning to play till 2023 end. So, Fed will accumulate more than one slam in the future. I think Fed will keep the record for Slams won.

However, Fed is not going to play a lot of tourneys and so he probably won't add to his weeks at #1. Even if youngsters beat Big three, none of them will really stand out and so the points would be split. So, Chances are that Novak being consistent will be able to add lot more weeks at #1 to his current tally.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I posted in Fed fan thread the current news that Fed is planning to play till 2023 end. So, Fed will accumulate more than one slam in the future. I think Fed will keep the record for Slams won.

However, Fed is not going to play a lot of tourneys and so he probably won't add to his weeks at #1. Even if youngsters beat Big three, none of them will really stand out and so the points would be split. So, Chances are that Novak being consistent will be able to add lot more weeks at #1 to his current tally.
Roger has committed to exhibitions. This doesn't necessarily mean he's committing to the tour. For sure he will be swanning around the world collecting appearance fees, even after he's stopped competing. Anyway, it seems like we all agree that Novak will hoover up the Most Weeks at #1.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@calitennis127: Novak's loss today goes to my point above. Tsitsipas may not win Shanghai, but he prevented Novak from winning it. They don't have to be world-beaters to spoil your tournament.

Reactions: Andy22

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
nadal is in a good spot to get end year number one if he does should be able hold it for 2 years.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With Tsitsipas beating Djokovic in the Shanghai QF, Nadal is set to return on top of the men's world rankings on November 4, 2019. That would leave Djokovic at 275 weeks at number 1 (35 weeks behind Federer).

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nadal is in a good spot to get end year number one if he does should be able hold it for 2 years.

Haha wtf? Do you have the winning Lottery numbers handy there too? You've outdone your normal idiocy with that post.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev seems to be a big challenge for Djokovic... Thiem, Zverev, Bautista Agut, Khachanov, Tsitsipas have all had good wins against him. Kyrgios is 2-0 against him. Djokovic is vulnerable to many of the newer players, if they are hot on a certain day then he's in trouble.

Tsitsipas proved my point again today :yes: