Sinner Man - Jannik Sinner Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Since Carlos Alcaraz has its own discussion thread (deservingly), I have decided to create a Jannik Sinner discussion thread.

No, I will not compare or say that Sinner be like Alcaraz in the future, but I think Sinner will have a very bright career/future if he remains dedicated and healthy throughout his tennis career.

Administration (specifically Tented), feel free to lock or delete the thread if you guys feel that the thread is getting out of place or will serve no purpose in the future.

Discuss and Forza, Jannik!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Rafanoy and it is good to see you back at TF posting you have been missed!

As you know I have always been a big fan of Sinner, regardless that he is Italian ( so am I), I have always thought of the present young Italians in the tour, Jannik has much more 'upside to his game'. I still feel he is a 'work in progress'. I read yesterday he feels physically it will take him a couple of years to peak, after last year with injury, he feels this year he is in a better place, having Cahill as his coach he could not be in better hands, as a coach guiding him to his full potential

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Since Carlos Alcaraz has its own discussion thread (deservingly), I have decided to create a Jannik Sinner discussion thread.

No, I will not compare or say that Sinner be like Alcaraz in the future, but I think Sinner will have a very bright career/future if he remains dedicated and healthy throughout his tennis career.

Administration (specifically Tented), feel free to lock or delete the thread if you guys feel that the thread is getting out of place or will serve no purpose in the future.

Discuss and Forza, Jannik!
Great idea for a thread, @rafanoy1992!

Once again, we had a great match between Sinner and Alcaraz. It’s a bit reminiscent of Fedal: two players who bring out the best in each other. I’m sure you’re disappointed Sinner lost, giving the Spaniard the 3-2 edge in their H2H, but Sinner played a great match nevertheless, IMO.

In the live rankings, Sinner is at No. 11, but just a handful of points away from being in the Top 10 again.

BC09BB63-71AF-464F-AC3E-5F30DC707A16.jpeg

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just listening to an interview from Jannik before he starts his Miami tournament
Main points were, Jannik and his team he has more improvement to be made physically, he works hard every day in the gym and in practice on court. Jannik was pleased with the way he played against the defending champion Fritz, though he said there were still improvements to be made.
Jannik said Alcaraz pushes him to the limit in matches they have played, Alcaraz now has a H2H 3-2 after his win in straights sets in their SF at IW, he also felt his serve in that match let him down in crucial times in the match, though he thought his fhand worked well,at present Alcaraz level is higher, Jannik said though he enjoys their matches.
Good luck Jannik at Miami! I know you will give it your best, personally speaking Jannik is a playerwho is a 'work in progress' and I am delighted to watch his progress.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A pleasing result in the S/finals of Miami with Jannik winning over Alcaraz in 3 sets
Jannik now has defeated Alcaraz on clay, grass and now HC.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For the 1st time in his young career, Jannik Sinner has reached his 1st Slam SF appearance! Hopefully, this Wimbledon run will provide him more confidence in future tournaments.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For the 1st time in his young career, Jannik Sinner has reached his 1st Slam SF appearance! Hopefully, this Wimbledon run will provide him more confidence in future tournaments.
And hopefully his Wimbledon run is not over. ;)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would like to give credit to his coach, Darren Cahill. The reason I say this is because it is really tough to comeback mentally after what Sinner did at RG. Just imagine you are a tennis player and you blew two MPs on your own serve and loss the match at a Slam. Then, you have to comeback a couple weeks later play another slam with a total different set of conditions. Yes, Sinner is young, but sometimes some losses are just brutal that it takes a while to recover mentally. So I applaud Cahill for coaching Sinner and allowing him to have some perspective.

Yes, the draw certainly helps, but hey sometimes you need luck to get back in track, at least mentally.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'll become a full time fan of Sinner if he wins a slam within the next 12 months.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I would like to give credit to his coach, Darren Cahill. The reason I say this is because it is really tough to comeback mentally after what Sinner did at RG. Just imagine you are a tennis player and you blew two MPs on your own serve and loss the match at a Slam. Then, you have to comeback a couple weeks later play another slam with a total different set of conditions. Yes, Sinner is young, but sometimes some losses are just brutal that it takes a while to recover mentally. So I applaud Cahill for coaching Sinner and allowing him to have some perspective.

Yes, the draw certainly helps, but hey sometimes you need luck to get back in track, at least mentally.
Do you think Cahill is the best coach for him? Or can you think of someone else who would be better?

Has Cahill ever coached a guy when he wins a major? (I know there’s Halep, but I’m trying to think of an ATP player.)

Maybe when he was with Agassi or Hewitt?

EDIT: I checked. No, he wasn’t coaching either Hewitt or Agassi when they won a major.

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Do you think Cahill is the best coach for him? Or can you think of someone else who would be better?

Has Cahill ever coached a guy when he wins a major? (I know there’s Halep, but I’m trying to think of an ATP player.)
For your first two questions, Tented: I would say Cahill is the best coach for Sinner in terms of the mental side of the game. As we see in the game right now, young and upcoming players need THAT coach that will guide him or her to the rigorous part of the tour. It is why Simona Halep asked Cahill back after the initial split because she realized that she needed someone to help her "calm down."

It is similar to Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl relationship. Murray needed Lendl's stoic demeanor to remind him that it is okay to be "calm" during matches even if he is losing.

Now, as for the technical side of the game, time will tell for both Sinner and Cahill. It seems like Sinner's 1st serve has improve this year, however it is still inconsistent during the clutch, tight moments. His 2nd serve, yeesh! So overall, it is still to be determined.

Now, for the third question: I think Cahill was Hewitt's coach when Hewitt won his maiden slam (2001 US Open). So, he has guided an ATP player to winning a slam.

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This match against Zverev reminds me of his match against Fritz at Indian Wells this year. It is not against the top players (Alcaraz, Djokovic or Medvedev), but it is the type of match that Sinner needs to win in order to solidify himself as the one of the Top 4/5 players in the world.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations to Jannik Sinner for reaching a career high ranking of number 4 in the world!

For the 1st time in his career he has beaten Daniil Medvedev AND has won a 250, 500 and M1000 titles in the same season!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Congratulations to Jannik Sinner for reaching a career high ranking of number 4 in the world!

For the 1st time in his career he has beaten Daniil Medvedev AND has won a 250, 500 and M1000 titles in the same season!
IMG_4377.gif