• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
colleen66 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
A funny thing happened at the beginning of the match. Caro won the toss and then asked
Serena "is it ok if I serve first"? ;) BFF

I agree BFF, but that the difference between a champion and one that is not quite there yet. Serena would NEVER ask "is it ok if I serve first"?

I don't get it if Caro won the toss why would she ask if she can serve first. What am I missing.

It is no secret that everyone knows that Serena likes to serve first. Caro being the BFF was being polite about it to Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
This match was definitely among the top 10 of the year.
I would actually rate it as top 5

If you delete the first set, it will be in the top 1. Luckily, that was the only match that
I saw live from beginning to end in this years WTAF event.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
special700 said:
colleen66 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
A funny thing happened at the beginning of the match. Caro won the toss and then asked
Serena "is it ok if I serve first"? ;) BFF

I agree BFF, but that the difference between a champion and one that is not quite there yet. Serena would NEVER ask "is it ok if I serve first"?

I don't get it if Caro won the toss why would she ask if she can serve first. What am I missing.

It is no secret that everyone knows that Serena likes to serve first. Caro being the BFF was being polite about it to Serena.

And therein lies the problem. This isn't a tea party; this is sport. Asking if it was OK to do something which was well within her rights -- and that Serena never would have asked had she won the toss -- is proof Caroline isn't competing properly.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, you can also throw the shoe on the other foot, and say because of Serena's growing friendship with Caroline that Serena isn't competing properly with her. Caroline has never kept it as close with Serena as she has this year.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
And now Caroline will always be in Serena's half of the draw. And Serena and Caroline will be kept far, far, away from Maria.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
I take that back they probably would not mind Caro winning because of obvious reasons.....

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well, you can also throw the shoe on the other foot, and say because of Serena's growing friendship with Caroline that Serena isn't competing properly with her. Caroline has never kept it as close with Serena as she has this year.
I think that has more to do with Caroline's improvement on the court and less with the friendship she shares with Serena. Caro is playing much better tennis than she has ever played. The serve is more powerful and she attacks much more frequently. By nature she is not an aggressive person, but if she can remind herself to ABA (always be attacking, lol) she will probably win a slam. Serena will always be Serena and if she can beat her sister on a regular basis, she can beat a friend when she has to.