SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS - ATP-1000 - OCT. 6 to 13, 2013.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Tommy dispatches Querrey in straights 6-4 6-4. :clap

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyone know why Jerzy isn't playing?

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:

He withdrew. He had to rest and rehabilitate his injured back (central protuberance of the lumbar spine) from the US Open. Three weeks of complete rest followed by rehabilitation was the first option. If it's not better, he will probably require surgery. He is training again and his next scheduled tourney is Stockholm in mid-October, followed by Valencia and Paris.

My guess is that he'll do everything possible to be ready to play at a high level in Paris, where he defends 625 (final + qualifying) of his remaining 670 seasonal points, so that he won't slip too far in the rankings, where he is currently 15th in the world. If he were unable to play for the rest of the year and lose the 670 points, he would fall to around 26th as it stands now, but obviously there is a danger he could fall out of the top 32 and lose his seeding...

It's a shame he is injured at this time of the year where indoors he figures to play some of his best tennis. But at the same time, he is only 22 (23 on Nov. 13) and should definitely err on the side of caution and try to get his back fully recovered and not risk further damage.

Respectfully,
masterclass

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:

he hurt his back in the gym before or during the u s open..which is why he lost early doors,

his serve speed was as speedy as gabriella Sabatini's 2nd serve :s..therefore he lost..no idea how long he was out, think its a strained/torn muscle but not totally sure..

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nice one..

Tanko Quitsarevic lost to GrannyRollers :laydownlaughing..down the rank charts you go..bozo boy.

:approved:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sir john of isner into R2 from a set down..word is its a quickish HC like beijing. :idea:

sir john of isner has a very outside chance of qualifying for the WTF..somewhere in the meeja they claimed ferrer has defo qualified.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just saw the score earlier of Fed's doubles match. Quite an impressive beatdown versus big serving Anderson and Tursunov who also serves well and is a good doubles player.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did it rain in Shanghai on Monday? How come only four first round matches were
completed? Around 10 of them were scheduled as per the original schedule.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to tommy haas and his fans. it is always good to see him win.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Did it rain in Shanghai on Monday? How come only four first round matches were
completed? Around 10 of them were scheduled as per the original schedule.

affirmative. they got plenty of rain.

N

NADAL2005RG

Its a pity Djokovic has to play Federer in the QF. Naderer finals are good, but I'm starting to prefer Nadjokovic finals.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Its a pity Djokovic has to play Federer in the QF. Naderer finals are good, but I'm starting to prefer Nadjokovic finals.

Who knows, we may still get one. No saying Djokovic wins if Fed turns up in form. Going by the scoreline in his doubles match he has to be returning very well which can only be good and against the big serving Anderson that's a very good sign.

N

NADAL2005RG

Interesting how Dimitrov gives Nadal hellishly tight battles (even on clay), while Raonic can't even take a set. But when they face the rest of the tour Raonic is way above Dimitrov. I guess its a matchup thing. Dimitrov's style of play hurts Nadal. I must admit, Federer has caused Nadal some problems over the years.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
I must admit, Federer has caused Nadal some problems over the years.

Yeah, who'd a thunk it. I mean, Federer? Who's he when he's at home? :huh:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
grigor dimitrov was unlucky getting a recently top12 guy like kia-ora nikishori,

but even so.. losing in straights is not going to make the partridges of cornwall flock around the nearest telly and cheer for him.. :huh:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
NADAL2005RG said:
I must admit, Federer has caused Nadal some problems over the years.

Yeah, who'd a thunk it. I mean, Federer? Who's he when he's at home? :huh:

Don't take the bait. You of all people know that Federer has caused Rafa no problems the last 5 years. Don't allow the puppet to start pulling other people's strings.