Serena Williams win WTA Player of the Year

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/5194460/title/serena-williams-wta-player-of-the-year

No surprises here... well deserved.  Does anybody think Serena should NOT have been awarded this accolade?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Williams was also elected sportsperson of the year, which I find slightly dubious as in tennis alone there was already a better player.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
13951 said:
Williams was also elected sportsperson of the year, which I find slightly dubious as in tennis alone there was already a better player.

yeah, by that is by Sports Illustrated and Williams is an American.  So it is understandable, even though there was somebody else who had better results in tennis than Serena.  You can't do anything about that.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
13799 said:
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/5194460/title/serena-williams-wta-player-of-the-year No surprises here… well deserved. Does anybody think Serena should NOT have been awarded this accolade?

As previously stated, in tennis alone Novak Djokovic had a better record.  Then there was that horse (A.P.),  that won the Triple Crown - horse racing's version of the Grand Slam - for first time in 37 years.  That makes at least two athletes more deserving than she.   :negative:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I totally agree with Serena Williams being SI Sportsperson of the Year.Serena became the first tennis player after Arthur Ashe in 1992,Chris Evert in 1976 and Billie Jean King in 1972.Yes Novak had an 'Incredible Year',still Serena was just two matches short of a Calendar Slam ,the last tennis player to achieve a Calendar Slam was Graf in 1986.Serena 53-3 in 2015,also taking into consideration her age at just 34 years young.If Novak had achieved his Career Slam at Roland Garos,I firmly believe he would have been named SI Sportsman of the Year.Some people have stated both Serena and Novak should have been named Co Winners,maybe.Congratulations Serena,you just keep on keeping on:)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
13959 said:
britbox wrote:
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/5194460/title/serena-williams-wta-player-of-the-year No surprises here… well deserved. Does anybody think Serena should NOT have been awarded this accolade?
As previously stated, in tennis alone Novak Djokovic had a better record. Then there was that horse (A.P.), that won the Triple Crown – horse racing’s version of the Grand Slam – for first time in 37 years. That makes at least two athletes more deserving than she.
wpml_negative.gif

It would definitely be a first if a horse was awarded the WTA Player of the Year.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
13966 said:
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
As previously stated, in tennis alone Novak Djokovic had a better record. Then there was that horse (A.P.), that won the Triple Crown – horse racing’s version of the Grand Slam – for first time in 37 years. That makes at least two athletes more deserving than she.
wpml_negative.gif
</blockquote>
It would definitely be a first if a horse was awarded the WTA Player of the Year.

We could debate that.

Somehow I read the title incorrectly, probably since SI made her their Sportsman of the Year.   :unsure:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
13969 said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
Edbergs Ghost wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
wpml_negative.gif
</blockquote>
It would definitely be a first if a horse was awarded the WTA Player of the Year.</blockquote>
We could debate that. Somehow I read the title incorrectly, probably since SI made her their Sportsman of the Year.
wpml_unsure.gif
That's such a catty response, EG.  And SI made her their Sportsperson of the Year.  I gave it its own thread, because I think it deserves it, and also because this one seems very confused.   :scratch: