Serena Williams announces she will 'evolve away from tennis' after upcoming US Open

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Court has ended up a sad and crabby old women,........her thoughts on Serena are a testament to that fact.
I don't really know who she is as a tennis player or really anything about her game at all other than she has 24 Slams and is a Tennis Legend. If she was standing next to me, I would not have a clue who she was.

I did read the article though and one thing stood out to me. Her blaming the media and people not wanting anything to do with her because of her religion is completely B.S.. The reason they want to avoid her is because she is saying stupid stuff.

Another thing and this is just my opinion, the difference between her accomplishments and what Serena accomplished and I am not saying what Miss Court accomplished was not incredible, but reading that it was mostly done during something called the Amateur Era is pretty significant to me. Before reading the article I had no idea there was such a thing as an Amateur Era. So it makes sense that Serena's accomplishments were a bit more weighted than what Miss Court achieved.

I am not saying what Court achieved was nothing because honestly I have no clue who she beat along the way, but when reading that it was done during an era where she played a lot of amateur players along the way that does make a huge difference to me.

Reactions: Vince Evert

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't really know who she is as a tennis player or really anything about her game at all other than she has 24 Slams and is a Tennis Legend. If she was standing next to me, I would not have a clue who she was.

I did read the article though and one thing stood out to me. Her blaming the media and people not wanting anything to do with her because of her religion is completely B.S.. The reason they want to avoid her is because she is saying stupid stuff.

Another thing and this is just my opinion, the difference between her accomplishments and what Serena accomplished and I am not saying what Miss Court accomplished was not incredible, but reading that it was mostly done during something called the Amateur Era is pretty significant to me. Before reading the article I had no idea there was such a thing as an Amateur Era. So it makes sense that Serena's accomplishments were a bit more weighted than what Miss Court achieved.

I am not saying what Court achieved was nothing because honestly I have no clue who she beat along the way, but when reading that it was done during an era where she played a lot of amateur players along the way that does make a huge difference to me.
Court played in a different era was a champion player, to me she should not come out and make the comments that she did once Serena retired, who is a champion player in her own right.To me it is not acceptable full stop!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I doubt it. That doesn’t seem to be her kind of thing at all.
She did it once at the USO 2010 after she cut her foot on that glass at a German night club. She couldn't play. Came to support Vee and ESPN asked her to come up to the booth one night and call a match.

Reactions: tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Really Magpie? You wait until Serena leaves the sport to say something. I'm pretty sure you couldn't speak earlier (past 30 years) because you were holding your breath waiting for your record to be blown to smithereens by Stef or Rena. :lulz1:

Now on to more important stuff about this topic:
  1. So you had 2 babies and came back and won a slam. Were you 36 years old? Did you almost die in childbirth?
  2. How much more respect do you want from her?
  3. Should Serena put up an electronic billboard ad in Times Square w/ a pic of Court and a big 24 on it?
  4. Besides, why is it Serena's job to show you more respect? That's the media's job, not hers.
  5. She was already considered the GOAT of the open era when she passed Steffi. The fact that she was chasing down your pre-open record when she was well past her prime shows a great deal of respect for you. Duh.
  6. Let's not forget she's made it abundantly clear on several occasions down under that she wasn't a fan of Serena's game. Claims all the hard hitting players of this era are not her cup of tea.

Reactions: tented and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Really Magpie? You wait until Serena leaves the sport to say something. I'm pretty sure you couldn't speak earlier (past 30 years) because you were holding your breath waiting for your record to be blown to smithereens by Stef or Rena. :lulz1:

Now on to more important stuff about this topic:
  1. So you had 2 babies and came back and won a slam. Were you 36 years old? Did you almost die in childbirth?
  2. How much more respect do you want from her?
  3. Should Serena put up an electronic billboard ad in Times Square w/ a pic of Court and a big 24 on it?
  4. Besides, why is it Serena's job to show you more respect? That's the media's job, not hers.
  5. She was already considered the GOAT of the open era when she passed Steffi. The fact that she was chasing down your pre-open record when she was well past her prime shows a great deal of respect for you. Duh.
  6. Let's not forget she's made it abundantly clear on several occasions down under that she wasn't a fan of Serena's game. Claims all the hard hitting players of this era are not her cup of tea.
Magpie Kskate you nailed it LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I read some of the comments under the article. These 3 were my faves:
1662513504923.png

1662513566597.png

1662513679233.png

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Like I said before, I really haven't a clue who Margaret Court is other than her winning 24 Slams a long time ago. Her running her mouth about Serena is what I know about her. Margaret Court is supposed to be a legend, but this is the crap she is leaving me to remember her by.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Like I said before, it isn’t any tennis player’s fault if another tennis player goes unnoticed. The best way to keep your name in the news is to be good news and be your own goodwill ambassador. If Serena wants to be remembered 100 years from now by players, what she gave as a player as well as what she did after will determine how much she is remembered. Unfortunately for players like Margaret Court and Martina Navratilova who are great players they have also done enough PR damage with public comments that would cause dissent and rub their legacies in a negative direction. Serena has had her negative moments that have played against her almost exclusively on a tennis court. Fortunately outside of tennis, Serena has avoided any relatively negative moments or comments which have caused the public to really turn against her.

Reactions: Vince Evert

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Court speaks her own truth... she's not seeking popularity in the modern age, or new fans, or seeking to mitigate things from a "PR" angle. If you don't know who she is, or what she accomplished then that's on you.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Very wise and well said, young lady.

Yes most of her record 24 grand slams wins was prior to introduction of Open Tennis (1967 i think) and it must also be pointed out that 11of the Australian Open wins came in an era, some of the top players did not come out here to play. That was also the era where Australian , U S Open's were also lawn surfaces and with fewer rounds/matches. So on that basis, you can rule out some of the Grand Slam wins compared to later champions like Martina, Graf or Serena Williams.

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like I said before, it isn’t any tennis player’s fault if another tennis player goes unnoticed. The best way to keep your name in the news is to be good news and be your own goodwill ambassador. If Serena wants to be remembered 100 years from now by players, what she gave as a player as well as what she did after will determine how much she is remembered. Unfortunately for players like Margaret Court and Martina Navratilova who are great players they have also done enough PR damage with public comments that would cause dissent and rub their legacies in a negative direction. Serena has had her negative moments that have played against her almost exclusively on a tennis court. Fortunately outside of tennis, Serena has avoided any relatively negative moments or comments which have caused the public to really turn against her.

Certainly is an weird dichotomy isn't it. I reckon that lady has a problem. On the one level she's an pentecoastal evangelist , and has founded some church over in western australia. Yet she always denouncing the gay folks (of both genders) and has done so for many years. I'm not prejudice to gay people but why cant the likes of Margaret just accept and keep their views to themselves?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Court speaks her own truth... she's not seeking popularity in the modern age, or new fans, or seeking to mitigate things from a "PR" angle. If you don't know who she is, or what she accomplished then that's on you.
That’s fine, but it seems contrary to what she is trying to push. She speaks her truth, but then she lashes out at Serena as though Serena needs to acknowledge her. Nothing will change Court’s accomplishments, but how you speak on things will certainly affect whether people want to talk about you or sing your praises. Clearly, she wants people to sing her praises, or she wouldn’t have said anything.

Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Court has ended up a sad and crabby old women,........her thoughts on Serena are a testament to that fact.
Margaret Court from what some of the older folks around tennis have told me has Always been a POS which went unknown to most of the public..She is now letting everyone knows who she is without filter.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Martina was a superior player to Court .hands down..

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, have a look at this !!! Record ratings for ESPN regarding what may be Serena's Swan Song grand slam singles :

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I still believe Serena will make one final run in January. She will try to defend Auckland and play in the 2023 AO, the last 2 places she won, then retire from tennis for good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still believe Serena will make one final run in January. She will try to defend Auckland and play in the 2023 AO, the last 2 places she won, then retire from tennis for good.
Welcome, Eaglesfan! I'd love that to be so, but she's going to have to get serious about adding to her family sooner than later, so now that the glow of the USOpen has worn off, I'm pretty sure she'll know that she meant it about retiring to do just that.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s fine, but it seems contrary to what she is trying to push. She speaks her truth, but then she lashes out at Serena as though Serena needs to acknowledge her. Nothing will change Court’s accomplishments, but how you speak on things will certainly affect whether people want to talk about you or sing your praises. Clearly, she wants people to sing her praises, or she wouldn’t have said anything.

Don't take the headlines too literally without some context. A couple of weeks before, Yahoo also fired this one up.

So Court didn't "start attacking Serena" out of the blue. She was responding to Serena's claim that she had already broken Court's record. All she said was she respected Serena a lot as a player, and didn't feel it was reciprocated.

As for "being a piece of shit"... Court's own self-funded outreach program in Western Australia has delivered $34 million worth of food to the homeless over the years. I guess we need more pieces of shit like that.