Serena thoughts....

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So interesting questions regarding Serena. It will be like a time capsule of sorts for when she does retire, and we can see who was on the money. Ok questions are:

Where do you think Serena will win her last slam?

What tournament do you think Serena will choose to play her last match?

What will be her final totals at each of the slams?

My answers:

1. I am going to say her final slam win will come at the French Open (bold choice). In reality, it will probably be the U.S. Open which would make a nice bookend to her career, but I am going to stick with the French Open.

2. As for final tournament she plays, I am either going to say Miami for sentimental reasons or if she is going big the U.S. Open.

3. Final totals:

Australian Open: 6
French Open: 5
Wimbledon: 6
U.S. Open: 7

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is a feeling I've had before, but I feel that Serena's decline will be abrupt and sudden, rather than gradual. Four or five early round losses in the Grand Slams and she'll probably call it quits.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think she will quit at USO like Agassi did.

But, I don't think she will win 5 FO in total. In fact, I think no more RGs for Serena.

toshiroh

Reactions
I think Serena's done with RG. She has to work way too hard to win it. To expend as much energy as she did in 2013 and 2015 to win it is a big ask. I doubt she even wants that. 3 is just fine for a player of Serena's caliber on clay. One under Justine is not too shabby. She'll finish at the US Open in 2016 IMO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I think she will quit at USO like Agassi did.

But, I don't think she will win 5 FO in total. In fact, I think no more RGs for Serena.

I agree she'll quit singles at the USO like Agassi did. I wouldn't be shocked if she and her sister decide to clean up in doubles for a while after though. I could definitely see her winning a couple for Wimbledon's and another US Open. I think it's going to get tougher for her at both the US Open and AO tbh. I think of those two as the most competitive slams. I am convinced that Azarenka has the beating of her on hard courts, and I was surprised their match at RG was as competitive as it was, I never expected Vika to do great things there..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know. I can see RG working for her depending on if her mobility becomes limited at some point because of age. She didn't have to work that hard at RG13. RG15 was a different matter. Though I can't help but note the increasing frequency in which 3 setters are factoring into her slams. I think if that is one area where she can improve is these lapses. I can understand near the finish line because of nerves, but she has to me more efficient in her early rounds.

I was being bold in my predictions. Live on the edge like Serena. I can see her sneak in a 4th RG at the very least.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
I believe her last final will be played at the FO and then she will relocate to France. Probably a lot of people will say the US Open, but I doubt it. The tournament has never treated her well at all.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't know. I can see RG working for her depending on if her mobility becomes limited at some point because of age. She didn't have to work that hard at RG13. RG15 was a different matter. Though I can't help but note the increasing frequency in which 3 setters are factoring into her slams. I think if that is one area where she can improve is these lapses. I can understand near the finish line because of nerves, but she has to me more efficient in her early rounds.

I was being bold in my predictions. Live on the edge like Serena. I can see her sneak in a 4th RG at the very least.

It's not a crime to go 3 sets as long as she comes out on top. She's not perfect. I know you did not say she was perfect, but people and making it seem as though going 3 sets is a crime.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It isn't a crime to go three sets. I just wish in some cases she made her life easier and avoided it where she can. I get when not feeling well things happen, but hopefully she comes out a bit sharper after her trials that she had to endure at RG.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
I believe her last final will be played at the FO and then she will relocate to France. Probably a lot of people will say the US Open, but I doubt it. The tournament has never treated her well at all.

She has forgiven IW itself. Why would she hold a grudge on USO?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did not want to make a separate thread for this. But, if the OP and/or the moderators feel that it does not belong here, please feel free to move it somewhere else or delete it.

Have you seen this article on racism/sexism/animalism regarding Serena. Although our forum is quite well behaved in this regard, this wave of thinking does not die at all it seems. Also, I hear that there is a lot of controversy over Serena's SF match with many people alleging gamesmanship. Kamakshi lists it as the #2 item in her article on for ESPN on top ten controversies in this year's French Open. However, I personally do not see it as gamesmanship. I don't spend much time on other forums and so I don't know as to what is the argument of detractors.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Timea herself said she wasn't worried about what Serena was and wasn't doing that she was focused on herself.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena should gradually stop playing and gradually disappear from the tour.She came she conquered and they never liked her so I would prefer her to retire in Miami where she has family and friends who will appreciate her more.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I did not want to make a separate thread for this. But, if the OP and/or the moderators feel that it does not belong here, please feel free to move it somewhere else or delete it.

Have you seen this article on racism/sexism/animalism regarding Serena. Although our forum is quite well behaved in this regard, this wave of thinking does not die at all it seems. Also, I hear that there is a lot of controversy over Serena's SF match with many people alleging gamesmanship. Kamakshi lists it as the #2 item in her article on for ESPN on top ten controversies in this year's French Open. However, I personally do not see it as gamesmanship. I don't spend much time on other forums and so I don't know as to what is the argument of detractors.
Tandon is a well known Serena detractor and a pova fan..:popcorn

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There's no way Serena would retire at the French Open when her game is much better suited to grass and hard court. If she's retiring after a slam it'll be the last slam of the year and not the 2nd which I doubt she'll win again but kudos to her for winning RG again for the third time. Very impressive. Depends how she does at all the slams till the US Open next year. Unless she's burnt out why retire? She'd rather have a shot at matching or bettering Graf's 22 slams and she may or may not reach that by then.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

That article was appalling. I think there has been a tremendous amount of racism directed at the Williams sisters throughout their careers by the press. And also some ridiculous comments from some of the players - Hingis and Dementieva spring to mind. I've found some of the incidents quite amusing because unlike a lot of the players those girls are very well educated and it kind of puts the lie to the idiocy. The tragedy is that sport (note I said sport, not tennis) will miss them when they're gone. A truly remarkable story

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
There's no way Serena would retire at the French Open when her game is much better suited to grass and hard court. If she's retiring after a slam it'll be the last slam of the year and not the 2nd which I doubt she'll win again but kudos to her for winning RG again for the third time. Very impressive. Depends how she does at all the slams till the US Open next year. Unless she's burnt out why retire? She'd rather have a shot at matching or bettering Graf's 22 slams and she may or may not reach that by then.

I think you misunderstood the poster's intentions. They are just saying she will retire at Fo when she retires, not necessarily next year.

I think their line of thinking comes from the fact that she has a French BF and an apartment in France and there is a projection that she might settle there.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My intent in this thread was to get people's thoughts on the three questions I posed, and then when it happens and she retires to do a time capsule of sorts to see who was on the mark for fun.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:

I think you misunderstood the poster's intentions. They are just saying she will retire at Fo when she retires, not necessarily next year.

I think their line of thinking comes from the fact that she has a French BF and an apartment in France and there is a projection that she might settle there.

That's cool but lots of people here and other forums seem to think she'll retire after the Olympics but I can't see that personally. That'd mean skipping the US Open and no way she'd do that imo.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:

That's cool but lots of people here and other forums seem to think she'll retire after the Olympics but I can't see that personally. That'd mean skipping the US Open and no way she'd do that imo.

As long as she thinks she has a chance to win a slam, she will continue to play, at least until she reaches #25. However, it appears that she said in some interview that if she wins the calendar slam this year, she may consider retirement.