Rolex Shanghai Masters, China - ATP Masters 1000, 2023

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_4530.jpeg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
In my opinion, until the ATP and WTA fix the fall schedule, any tournament that takes place in between the US Open and ATP/WTA Finals should be considered an exhibition. I feel like watching high school tennis at this time of year is more exciting.
I have a lot of sympathy with this because really, we’re in a waiting period now until there’s an event that animates everybody. Shanghai? Yawn emoji. Not all MS titles are the same, Paris Indoors has proven this. The YEC isn’t fit for purpose, and nor can it ever be, so long as it fails to be representative of all the players who have qualified, through diverse routes.

The season end tennis is only great because it’s competitive tennis and not the Laver Cup, but it’s kind of easily ignored too because it’s not snuggled in the meaty part the of the season, and nor is it giving us proven indicators of greatness…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In my opinion, until the ATP and WTA fix the fall schedule, any tournament that takes place in between the US Open and ATP/WTA Finals should be considered an exhibition. I feel like watching high school tennis at this time of year is more exciting.
I dont think you understood Keli's post, I will let Keli respond

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It will be interesting to see if Dimitrov can produce his form he showed against Alcaraz and defeat Jarry, or will he fold like a 'tent' when he gets to the business end of a tournament? they have met once before on clay a few years ago on clay and Jarry won.

I have always had a soft spot for the Hair Dude, apart from the obvious, he knows what is takes to win at this time of a Masters tournament, though it wont be easy as Humbert has played well in Shanghai.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Better than not peaking at all :)
Do you remember him before Wimbledon, declared himself one of the favourites, before losing in the first round?

I tend to remember these things a long time because frivolous players never win Wimbledon. He might recover from this and become a player of substance, and I’m impressed that he’s doing well now, but I kinda feel it’ll take a while…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Do you remember him before Wimbledon, declared himself one of the favourites, before losing in the first round?

I tend to remember these things a long time because frivolous players never win Wimbledon. He might recover from this and become a player of substance, and I’m impressed that he’s doing well now, but I kinda feel it’ll take a while…
Yep, these youngsters hey full of bravado, ..lose lips sink ships :) there are a few things in his game he can improve on, though I like his attacking and offensive tennis, hopefully he can stay healthy going forward in his career.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You’re kidding right? Or you just haven’t been watching the matches. This is when some of the new talent begin to assert themselves and some of the older players show a little of the old shine in their game. Watching Humbert go through 3 seeded players to reach the semis? Seeing the ‘old’ guy Dimitrov upset the #1 (tournament) seed? Getting to watch the future of American tennis battle for a semifinal berth? I played high school tennis (Suburban One) in Montgomery County. What we are seeing now is way more exciting. :lol6:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You’re kidding right? Or you just haven’t been watching the matches. This is when some of the new talent begin to assert themselves and some of the older players show a little of the old shine in their game. Watching Humbert go through 3 seeded players to reach the semis? Seeing the ‘old’ guy Dimitrov upset the #1 (tournament) seed? Getting to watch the future of American tennis battle for a semifinal berth? I played high school tennis (Suburban One) in Montgomery County. What we are seeing now is way more exciting. :lol6:

I've always loved this time of the tennis season; going back to McEnroe & Borg contesting Masters Chp.! The Elites were subject to upset regardless of when a tourney was held, but indoor Fall tennis was great, getting the best out of the players! You didn't have to deal w/ the Sun or wind and your strings in the racket felt like an extension of an arm! Today's players will never understand the skill it took to be at the top of tennis back in the 70's & 80's! W/ today's tech, mediocrity is rewarded; hence big servers having moderate success just throwing in bombs! Nadal started going down to bombers! Even Novak succumbed to Rune last year! Carlos is going to have to watch out! He really hurt his chances to grab the YE #1 by losing match to Grigor a couple days ago! Novak will have to be on guard when he hits Bercy! He needs to get to at least an extra round than Alcaraz! This could come down the the YEC in Turin! Should be an exciting Fall! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Update: Checking out Korda & Shelton on the repeat! It's so hard to watch Sebastian! He gets leads, then forgets how to play for a few games before saving it in a 3rd set TB! I keep hearing the same thing over and over; "Korda's up a set & a Break" before having to find his game; not so luckily against Novak in Adelaide in January! ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rublev presently is in complete control. His backhand has not only become more consistent, it’s now a real weapon. He’s neutralized whatever lefty advantage Humbert may have had. He’s the highest ranked player left in the tournament now and could win it all. He’s confident and composed out there.

Edit: After losing to him in Beijing, Rublev made all the right corrections to beat Humbert.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Listened to Gil's Mailbag! He agreed w/ me! Fedal have no claim to an era of a GOAT, but past champions have an argument; Borg or Sampras! :astonished-face:
That’s irrational. I know it sounds neat in principle, because he’s looking at it simply, he’s insinuating that the Big 3 set off on their run at the same time as each other and Novak won the race to the finish, but they didn’t. And there were different currents and opportunities in those twenty years that made it obvious that the one who started last had an advantage, which we clearly see now…

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
That’s irrational. I know it sounds neat in principle, because he’s looking at it simply, he’s insinuating that the Big 3 set off on their run at the same time as each other and Novak won the race to the finish, but they didn’t. And there were different currents and opportunities in those twenty years that made it obvious that the one who started last had an advantage, which we clearly see now…

I've written on the subject more than once! Federer could have saved his legacy if he had retired earlier! His Wimbledon win in 2012 would have been a great time, but his ego and need for the adulation kept him playing for almost 6 years before winning those last 3 majors! It just wasn't worth it IMO! Borg and Sampras left in a timely fashion, but Roger just hung on too long! He was winning little events, being quite respectable at #3 in the world, but as a GOAT option it just hurt him just like Connors his last 8 years! Playing for the love of the game doesn't pay off unless you're taking Majors! Fed was getting lucky to get out of early rounds for a while before hanging up his rackets! I would have given him his own era like Pete & Bjorn, but he kept playing and dropped many big matches against Nadovic! He blew it IMO! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited: