27. Fabio Fognini
28. Nikoloz Basilashvili
29. Ugo Humbert
30. Taylor Fritz
31. John Isner
32. Reilly Opelka

Roland-Garros-full-French-Open.jpg

The Tournament:

The French Open, also called Roland-Garros, is a major tennis tournament held over two weeks at the Stade Roland-Garros in Paris, France, beginning in late May each year. The tournament and venue are named after the French aviator Roland Garros. The French Open is the premier clay court tennis championship tournament in the world. Calender-wise it is the second of the four annual Grand Slam tournaments, the other three being the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. The French Open is currently the only Grand Slam tournament held on clay. Before 1975, the French Open was the lone non-grass major tournament. Between the seven rounds needed for a championship, the clay surface characteristics (slower pace, higher bounce), and the best-of-five-set men's singles matches, the French Open is arguably the most physically demanding tennis tournament in the world.

Tour_Eiffel_Passy_(49886204292)_(cropped).jpg

About Paris:

Paris is the capital and most populous city of France, with an estimated population of 2,175,601 residents as of 2018, in an area of more than 105 square kilometres (41 square miles). Since the 17th century, Paris has been one of Europe's major centres of finance, diplomacy, commerce, fashion, gastronomy, science and arts. The City of Paris is the centre and seat of government of the Île-de-France, or Paris Region, which has an estimated population of 12,174,880, or about 18 percent of the population of France as of 2017. The Paris Region had a GDP of €709 billion ($808 billion) in 2017. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit Worldwide Cost of Living Survey in 2018, Paris was the second most expensive city in the world, after Singapore and ahead of Zürich, Hong Kong, Oslo and Geneva. Another source ranked Paris as most expensive, on a par with Singapore and Hong Kong, in 2018.

Paris is a major railway, highway and air-transport hub served by two international airports: Paris–Charles de Gaulle (the second busiest airport in Europe) and Paris–Orly. Opened in 1900, the city's subway system, the Paris Métro, serves 5.23 million passengers daily; it is the second busiest metro system in Europe after the Moscow Metro. Gare du Nord is the 24th busiest railway station in the world, but the first located outside Japan, with 262 million passengers in 2015. Paris is especially known for its museums and architectural landmarks: the Louvre was the most visited art museum in the world in 2019, with 9.6 million visitors. The number of visitors plunged by 72 percent to 2.7 million visitors in 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the drop in the number of foreign visitors, but it remained the most-visited art museum in 2020. The Musée d'Orsay, Musée Marmottan Monet and Musée de l'Orangerie are noted for their collections of French Impressionist art. The Pompidou Centre Musée National d'Art Moderne has the largest collection of modern and contemporary art in Europe. The Musée Rodin and Musée Picasso exhibit the works of two noted Parisians. The historical district along the Seine in the city centre is classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site; popular landmarks there included the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris on the Île de la Cité, now closed for renovation after the 15 April 2019 fire. Other popular tourist sites include the Gothic royal chapel of Sainte-Chapelle, also on the Île de la Cité; the Eiffel Tower, constructed for the Paris Universal Exposition of 1889; the Grand Palais and Petit Palais, built for the Paris Universal Exposition of 1900; the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs-Élysées, as well as the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur on the hill of Montmartre.

Le_Jardin_du_Luxembourg,_Paris,_France_-_panoramio_(20).jpg

Tourism Guide:

TV Coverage
France
:
France.tv
Europe (all territories):
Eurosport
Europe (local broadcasters):
ITV
RTBF
SRG
ORF
EPT
Radio Televizija Slovenija
Markiza
PTC
Silknet
YLE
Duo Media
Czech TV
CYBC
BNT
RTRS
TVR
RTSH
RTCG
ServusTV
USA:
NBC
PeacockTV
Tennis Channel
Canada:
RDS
TSN
Latin-America:
ESPN
Brazil:
Bandsports
SporTV
North-Africa & Middle-East:
Bein Sports
Sub-saharan Africa:
SuperSport
Canal +
India:
Star Sports
China:
China Media Group
South-East Asia:
Fox Sports
Japan:
Wowwow
TV Tokyo
Australia:
Nine.com
New-Zealand:
Sky
South-Korea:
Fox Sports

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Aussie Chris O'Connell WC for RG ranked 129, has also qualified for this week's Belgrade Open.
Here is the full list of men's wild cards for Roland Garos,
Gregoire Barrere (FRA), Benjamin Bonzi (FRA), Mathias Bourgue (FRA), Arthur Cazaux (FRA), Hugo Gaston (FRA), Arthur Rinderknech (FRA), Chris O'Connell (AUS) (eighth wild card will go to an Australian player as agreed by the French and Australian tennis federations).

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Caveat: Draws don't always turn out as difficult or easy as predicted...

But...IF I were going to make the draw from Hell for the the French Open (based mostly on their ranking and potential seeding)

1st Round Carlos Alcaraz
2nd Round Lorenzo Musetti
3rd Round Jannik Sinner
4th Round Casper Ruud
QtRs: Stefano Tsitsipas
SF: Novak Djokovic
Finals: Rafael Nadal

OF course for the 3rd round (#17-32) you could sub in Aslan Karatsev or Lorenzo Sonego

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

But...IF I were going to make the draw from Hell for the the French Open (based mostly on their ranking and potential seeding)

1st Round Carlos Alcaraz
3rd Round Jannik Sinner
4th Round Casper Rudd

OF course for the 3rd round (#17-32) you could sub in Aslan Karatsev or Lorenzo Sonego
Agreed. I would also throw in the mix Nishikori, Fucsovics and Fokina as the guys you would prefer to avoid in early rounds. I am sure Med would like to stay away from at least one of them.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. I would also throw in the mix Nishikori, Fucsovics and Fokina as the guys you would prefer to avoid in early rounds. I am sure Med would like to stay away from at least one of them.
Medvedev's ambition is to get out of the first round this year. I'm not even sure that getting a qualifier will help him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1st Round Carlos Alcaraz
3rd Round Jannik Sinner
4th Round Casper Ruud

I have been wanting to start the conversation of who is dangerous going into this RG, and this is a good start. A couple of years ago, @GameSetAndMath designed a draw-from-Hell for Rafa. It didn't work out, but it was in the same vein. I do think there are a lot of potential potholes out there, this time around...more than in many years.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is the full list of men's wild cards for Roland Garos,
Gregoire Barrere (FRA), Benjamin Bonzi (FRA), Mathias Bourgue (FRA), Arthur Cazaux (FRA), Hugo Gaston (FRA), Arthur Rinderknech (FRA), Chris O'Connell (AUS) (eighth wild card will go to an Australian player as agreed by the French and Australian tennis federations).
What about JoWillieTs?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No there are only 8 WC's given out his name was not there I am afraid.Jo Willie just returned to play, on clay, after his injury, and was defeated in the first match he played.
Thanks for the update..I miss watching JoWillieTs

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Question:

Spain's 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz is currently ranked # 94, and last week was ranked # 114, and it shows he's playing the Qualifying for the French Open, won his match today versus Lacko 6-3, 6-3. Doesn't he now receive an automatic entry to the main draw due to his rankings (#104 and higher). I always thought it was through ranking (104), qualifying (16) and wild cards (8) you get the 128 main draw participants, so why does Alcaraz still have to enter the Qualifying? Is it because the latest ranking was after the cut off date for the main draw or entry to Qualies , so he's still obligated to play? I'm assuming even if he doesn't win 3 matches he's still in.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Question:

Spain's 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz is currently ranked # 94, and last week was ranked # 114, and it shows he's playing the Qualifying for the French Open, won his match today versus Lacko 6-3, 6-3. Doesn't he now receive an automatic entry to the main draw due to his rankings (#104 and higher). I always thought it was through ranking (104), qualifying (16) and wild cards (8) you get the 128 main draw participants, so why does Alcaraz still have to enter the Qualifying? Is it because the latest ranking was after the cut off date for the main draw or entry to Qualies , so he's still obligated to play? I'm assuming even if he doesn't win 3 matches he's still in.

The entry list is usually decided six weeks before the start of a GS. So, the cut off (rank 104) is based on the rankings at that time and not based on current ranking.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Update Roland Garos main draw ceremony will be held in the office of referee Remy Azemar on Thursday May 27th at 4.30pm CEST.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Speaking of Carlos Alcaraz (Garfia, still?), I haven't had a chance to see him play yet. What's his game like? Upside?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Update Roland Garos main draw ceremony will be held in the office of referee Remy Azemar on Thursday May 27th at 4.30pm CEST.
Wouldn't it be wild if Rafa has to play FAA..Toni would have to "recuse" himself..no doubt..No way could he stand in the way of history ...

It would NEVER happen that they will meet in RG but if it Did..any thoughts...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.