Roland Garros / French Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vesley even at only 1% of his form would still beat Djokovic. :check-mark:

In fact if Djokovic had drawn Velsey in the 1st round then I doubt Djokovic would even show up for the match. :check-mark:

Thank you for reading. :bye:

Anyways, I agree that at the end of the day sometimes a draw can seem easy but end up being tricky, while sometimes a draw can look difficult but then opens up with many upsets...

Either way hopefully one of the new guys will win the title like Alcaraz, Rune, FAA, Musetti... Tennis needs the new generation to start establishing themselves and become big names.
FAA had to with draw from his tournament in Lyon with a right shoulder injury, so I would put a big question mark at RG this year? Musetti is not ready to win a major, too much work to do on his movement, fitness and mental capacity

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Vesley even at only 1% of his form would still beat Djokovic. :check-mark:

In fact if Djokovic had drawn Velsey in the 1st round then I doubt Djokovic would even show up for the match. :check-mark:

Thank you for reading. :bye:
I'm pretty sure you're over-estimating Vesely's powers, but it's Tsitsipas who drew him first round.
Anyways, I agree that at the end of the day sometimes a draw can seem easy but end up being tricky, while sometimes a draw can look difficult but then opens up with many upsets...

Either way hopefully one of the new guys will win the title like Alcaraz, Rune, FAA, Musetti... Tennis needs the new generation to start establishing themselves and become big names.
I agree with @MargaretMcAleer that Musetti is probably not ready, and she says FAA has a (shoulder?) issue. That will be too bad if it hampers him, because he pushed Rafa had last year...to 5 sets, which has rarely happened. Alcaraz has a solid shot...he IS #1, and he's won a Major. Rune is not improbable, IMO.

With Novak's draw, he has guys who know they can at least push him to longer matches, so I see the potential for "cumulative effect." Especially if he's carrying an injury/niggle, and because he's going to be tense, wanting not to miss this opportunity, with Rafa out. This is where I disagree with Margaret, that he has to get taken out early. I think he's got a long road unless someone takes out Alcaraz and Medvedev, most particularly, which would be, as you say, his draw opening up. The bottom half has only Medvedev, Rune and Ruud for even nominally dangerous players to reach the final. The rest are dark horses/spoilers, I think.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm pretty sure you're over-estimating Vesely's powers, but it's Tsitsipas who drew him first round.

I agree with @MargaretMcAleer that Musetti is probably not ready, and she says FAA has a (shoulder?) issue. That will be too bad if it hampers him, because he pushed Rafa had last year...to 5 sets, which has rarely happened. Alcaraz has a solid shot...he IS #1, and he's won a Major. Rune is not improbable, IMO.

With Novak's draw, he has guys who know they can at least push him to longer matches, so I see the potential for "cumulative effect." Especially if he's carrying an injury/niggle, and because he's going to be tense, wanting not to miss this opportunity, with Rafa out. This is where I disagree with Margaret, that he has to get taken out early. I think he's got a long road unless someone takes out Alcaraz and Medvedev, most particularly, which would be, as you say, his draw opening up. The bottom half has only Medvedev, Rune and Ruud for even nominally dangerous players to reach the final. The rest are dark horses/spoilers, I think.
I did say Moxie, if Novak was to lose it would be in the early rounds, if not I feel he can get his rhythm going further into the tournament

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did say Moxie, if Novak was to lose it would be in the early rounds, if not I feel he can get his rhythm going further into the tournament
So, do you think that if gets out of, say, the 3rd/4th round, he wins the tournament?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So, do you think that if gets out of, say, the 3rd/4th round, he wins the tournament?
No, I feel if Novak is going to lose it will be early in the tournament, if not he will get his rhythm better and move forward
Remember too,a lot of the seeds maybe vulnerable in the early rounds as well?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I feel if Novak is going to lose it will be early in the tournament, if not he will get his rhythm better and move forward
Remember too,a lot of the seeds maybe vulnerable in the early rounds as well?
I understand that. Both. I do think Alcaraz has a soft draw, since I don't consider Tsitsipas a threat, and he's a top I could see vulnerable to upset. But I will say again...I think that Novak's draw could have a cumulative affect. I don't see him in the final. But I will back up my predictions by doing the draw challenge. ;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that. Both. I do think Alcaraz has a soft draw, since I don't consider Tsitsipas a threat, and he's a top I could see vulnerable to upset. But I will say again...I think that Novak's draw could have a cumulative affect. I don't see him in the final. But I will back up my predictions by doing the draw challenge. ;)
I am not thinking Novak will be in the final either, Tsitsipas is vulnerable, even though he thinks over wise lol!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not thinking Novak will be in the final either, Tsitsipas is vulnerable, even though he thinks over wise lol!
The "Clown Princes" think too much of themselves. You know what, they also have an excellent opportunity here, especially Zverev, being in the bottom half. (I forgot to mention him for the bottom-half. Freudian slip. LOL.) Rafa's out, Novak is half-temperature. They should be grabbing this opportunity with both hands. Let's see how they embrace it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The "Clown Princes" think too much of themselves. You know what, they also have an excellent opportunity here, especially Zverev, being in the bottom half. (I forgot to mention him for the bottom-half. Freudian slip. LOL.) Rafa's out, Novak is half-temperature. They should be grabbing this opportunity with both hands. Let's see how they embrace it.
Have you watched Zverev's play of late on clay I know he is defending SF points from last year? Nope not this year, out of both of those players Stef I feel will have a better chance, hopefully his dad will have Duck Tape on his mouth and his mother dosent have a melt down like she did in Roma and had a argument with her hubby and was banished to another seat lol! it was like a circus and Stef really needs to tell his parents to Take a Hike! Don Fabio and I could not believe what was going on, Mama Stef, called Stef over in the changeover to tell him she was moving to another seat? Mo the umpire, told Stef he could not talk to his mum while she was standing on the step, he could speak when she was sitting in his box? lol! this is the crap that has now become on the ATP tour, it is Pathetic!

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

In summary:

The saying used to be: ABZ (Anyone but Zverev)

But it has now become: ABP (Anyone but Pushovic)

:approved

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie as we discussed yesterday N. Jarry could be a 'upseter' my new word lol! at RG good win over Dimitrov to win the title in Geneva

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic talking to media at RG,
" I don't have any physical issues that worry me".
" It's no secret that one of the main reasons I play professional tennis is to try to break more records and make more history".

Meddy not happy with the balls at RG, says they are heavier" from last year and feels players could have shoulder problems,and
injuries.,he also feels the court is playing slower than last year.
Though the weather in Paris has been sunny this past week
Susan Lenglen will have the roof completed next year, this is the second biggest court at Roland Garros

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Prakash Amritraj copied off of you on TC today and said that Jarry is his dark horse, and he picks him over Struff to come out of that section.
Hmm , I am sticking with Struff due to the fact his best results at a major have come at Roland Garros

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh and Pushovic avoided dangerous floater Sonego too. When will his luck ever end? :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So basically Djokovic avoided very dangerous players like Vesley, Musetti, Evans, Goffin, Zverev, Lajovic, Rune in a potential QF, I don't know where to begin or stop. This is definitely a great draw for him. If you'd offer Nadal this Djokovic draw he would have played RG even if he has a cast on his leg.
Just to say: Of your "dangerous players" above, Evans, Goffin, and Vesely all went out today, Day 1. Though Goffin and Vesely both put up a fight.

In good news, Seb Korda won his first match since the AO, coming back from wrist injury.