Roland Garros / French Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What an unbalanced draw, with Alcaraz, Tsitsipas, and Djokovic all in the top half. That said, I still like Alcaraz to win the French Open. Also, look for Davidovich Fokina to pull the upset of Djokovic early.

That bottom half of the draw is wide open. This is a huge opportunity for someone. Is this Medvedev's Sampras 96 FO run? Does Jannik Sinner or Holger Rune break through? Or is this Dominic Thiem's Goran Ivanisevic 2001 Wimbledon
Doesn't look good for FAA

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks AF my predication of Alcaraz and Novak being in the same half came true lol!
Novak has a good draw, he and Alcaraz are due to meet in the SF if they both get through
I actually thought that Novak has a few Djokovic-specific speed bumps in his. A few guys in there who have beaten him, on clay, even. Fucsovics could be his second round, and, while he's never beaten Novak, he's a tough customer. I don't expect anything from Cecchinato, should they meet, but he is the guy who upset Novak at RG in 2018 (when ND was still coming back from his walkabout.) Then, as was mentioned above, Foki looms, and he beat Novak last year in MC, his calling card upset. RBA is in there, and if he gets Rublev, Andrey beat Novak in the final in Belgrade (clay) last year. Not saying he won't get through all this, which is all presumptive, but as has also been mentioned, Novak is looking more vulnerable than usual coming into this Roland Garros, and there are a fair few guys in there early that might feel some confidence facing him.

I thought Alcaraz's section looks very friendly, though, at least until and if he meets Novak.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually thought that Novak has a few Djokovic-specific speed bumps in his. A few guys in there who have beaten him, on clay, even. Fucsovics could be his second round, and, while he's never beaten Novak, he's a tough customer. I don't expect anything from Cecchinato, should they meet, but he is the guy who upset Novak at RG in 2018 (when ND was still coming back from his walkabout.) Then, as was mentioned above, Foki looms, and he beat Novak last year in MC, his calling card upset. RBA is in there, and if he gets Rublev, Andrey beat Novak in the final in Belgrade (clay) last year. Not saying he won't get through all this, which is all presumptive, but as has also been mentioned, Novak is looking more vulnerable than usual coming into this Roland Garros, and there are a fair few guys in there early that might feel some confidence facing him.

I thought Alcaraz's section looks very friendly, though, at least until and if he meets Novak.
I think Novak's draw is managable, Alcaraz is fine lets see if they both make the SF

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bublik gets a potential 2nd round rematch with Casper Ruud, though BO5 would probably favor the Noweigan Bully , whose reward would be to get the dangerous Dusan Lasovic in the 3rd round. :astonished-face:

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

It is not what you would call a 'balanced draw' pretty top heavy if you ask me, oh it is what it is I guess, as a Rafa fan I can sit back and be with 'colm' though I will be barracking for Alcaraz to win the title, a special young man, who ticks all the boxes for me

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think actually it might benefit Carlos to have this match in the semi rather than the final, if they’re to meet…
Well I thought if they were in the same half of the draw, going on their ranking, they would meet in the SF
Yep I see your point, it could benefit Carlos to meet in a SF, lets say if the match goes 5 sets, has time off to recharge and at 20 years of age, surely that is in his favor

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I thought if they were in the same half of the draw, going on their ranking, they would meet in the SF
Yep I see your point, it could benefit Carlos to meet in a SF, lets say if the match goes 5 sets, has time off to recharge and at 20 years of age, surely that is in his favor
Plus as well, he’s under less pressure in a semi, he’s not playing a goat with the trophy staring at the pair of them while they’re playing..

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Projected QFs ( if the seeds hold)

Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas
Rublev vs Djokovic
Rune vs Ruud
Medvedev vs Sinner

The battle of the Scandinavians for Viking supremacy, if they both get that far the winner would exit the FO as the highest ranked Nordic player.

NGL, i like little Holger’s draw but again, its a Slam, the pressure gets ramped up so a “good” draw can blow up in your face. : ( If Djokovic is a bit below peak physical form i give Most Beautiful Hair (Rublev) a puncher’s chance, he’s due for his Berdych moment ( beat Federer & Nadal each in a Slam out of 20? ) or Soderling burst.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Plus as well, he’s under less pressure in a semi, he’s not playing a goat with the trophy staring at the pair of them while they’re playing..
Yes, this has been my argument for wanting them on the same side of the draw, too. Plus, I think the two most likely to take out Novak, barring upset, are Charlie and Meddie. At the very least, if he has to do both, back-to-back, it might be too much. As I've said, I think there are some wise guys in his draw that might at least push him early. If he's carrying any niggle with the elbow, and he's feeling the pressure to get this title with Nadal out, I think he's got a potential gauntlet to run. I don't think the draw was kind to him.