Rogers Cup SF - Djokovic v. Nadal

Once again, the de facto final: who wins?

• Djokovic in 2

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Djokovic in 3

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Nadal in 2

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Nadal in 3

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • The Canadians, by virtue of having 2 guys in the SFs

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This one needs a poll. Once again the de facto final. Who wins? You have multiple options.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Roger's Cup SF - Djokovic v. Nadal

I think this one means more to Djokovic than Nadal and for Rafa to win on hard courts he needs help from Djokovic. He will not hit through him and the forehand causes no damage to Nole on hard courts. Nole should come out focused and win this in straights.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie, I liked how you put the Canadians in the poll.

Anyways, even though I am a huge Nadal fan (like you Moxie), I picked Djokovic in two tight sets. If not, then it will be Rafa in 3. But, the main reason I picked Djokovic because it is on a hardcourt. Nole has a 11-5 record over Nadal on hardcourts and has won the last four meetings in this surface. Although, their last meeting on hardcourt was an epic and grueling match. I just think Djokovic would neutralize Nadal's shots on this surface.

But, anything can happen so we would see tomorrow. Let's just hope it is a competitive match. Unfortunately, I would be working tomorrow night so I wouldn't able to see the match.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
I think this one means more to Djokovic than Nadal and for Rafa to win on hard courts he needs help from Djokovic. He will not hit through him and the forehand causes no damage to Nole on hard courts. Nole should come out focused and win this in straights.
I feel the opposite.. It means more to Rafa than Djoker.. unlike their encounters in previous years on the hardcourts,, Rafa is the Hunter.. He knows he has a chance to improve his rankings and seeding in the USO

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
I feel the opposite.. It means more to Rafa than Djoker.. unlike their encounters in previous years on the hardcourts,, Rafa is the Hunter.. He knows he has a chance to improve his rankings and seeding in the USO

Rafa's seed is set for the USO and barring anything crazy he will almost certainly finish the year ranked at least #2. This is bigger for Nole to keep a stranglehold on the #1 rank and stop the bleeding against Nadal. Nole hasn't come close to winning anything since Monte Carlo too it should be said.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I agree that this one means more to Djokovic. Nadal would survive the loss better. In any case, Nadal has to serve like he did against JJ.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

Rafa's seed is set for the USO and barring anything crazy he will almost certainly finish the year ranked at least #2. This is bigger for Nole to keep a stranglehold on the #1 rank and stop the bleeding against Nadal. Nole hasn't come close to winning anything since Monte Carlo too it should be said.
what bleeding? he is the world's number 1.. he has beaten Rafa in 3 of 4 times that have faced each other in GS finals

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

clay warrior needs to return well. extremely well.

and he has to be rock solid off the ground. and I do mean rock solid.

it has to be a very clean match from nadal`s side. that means very few errors.

if he can do that, it will be competitive. if not then nole will win 6-2, 6-3.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I'd say the serve was most key, and not hanging at the baseline. I'd actually welcome errors, if they're "good" ones. Errors come when he's 'going for it,' and I think he has to, v. Djokovic. When he's passive, and waiting for the errors from the other side, that's when Djokovic skunks him.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

excellent thread lady mox. keep them coming.

ashwin#1

Club Member
Reactions

I have no idea how both players are playing atm..but, i think i'll go with Nole

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

ashwin#1 said:
I have no idea how both players are playing atm..but, i think i'll go with Nole

Always good to have the uninformed opinion...especially with so much decoration!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Gonna miss this one, unless it's shown in the pub I'm in. Both players playing well and as usual, the match will be decided on a few points. It's Nole's favourite surface but Rafa looks happy here in Montreal and he's certainly lost the chip on the shoulder that Nole placed there in 2011.

It's all to gain for Rafa and nothing really to lose. I think he'll manhandle Nole in three great sets...

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

In tennis anything is possible, but realistically Rafa barely beat No1e on his favourite clay earlier this year and even that only after being help by Maria (Pascal) and officials so I don't think anyone can expect him to beat No1e on cement. No1e seems to enter and exit just to enter again his 2011 form but I trust he will be in it for the semi. No1e in straight sets.

Kieran, I guess there is a very good reason why is going to a pub more interesting than this match.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions

So excited for this!
I have a feeling Rafa will win because he has less pressure. I hope I'm right lol.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Mastoor said:
In tennis anything is possible, but realistically Rafa barely beat No1e on his favourite clay earlier this year and even that only after being help by Maria (Pascal) and officials so I don't think anyone can expect him to beat No1e on cement. No1e seems to enter and exit just to enter again his 2011 form but I trust he will be in it for the semi. No1e in straight sets.

Kieran, I guess there is a very good reason why is going to a pub more interesting than this match.

so it was Pascal's fault that djoker touch the net:snigger

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Mastoor said:

Yep! Because there's women and booze there.

I think giving Nole seven months to practice on clay made it close in Paris (though really it should have been done in 4). Now we're on Novak's best surface - so he has a chance. He might even win.

But I don't think so. :cool:

And Mastoor, if Novak loses, please don't sulk under a cyber-rock for about 6 months until he wins another one, ok? ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:

Exactly. Mastoor would be happy if Nole won the Raonic way - by cheating. Umpire made a great call in that FO semi - although Rafa was onto it too, so he wouldn't have gone away quietly had Nole tried to cheat.

Which, in fairness, he didn't, and doesn't...

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:

Exactly. Mastoor would be happy if Nole won the Raonic way - by cheating. Umpire made a great call in that FO semi - although Rafa was onto it too, so he wouldn't have gone away quietly had Nole tried to cheat.

Man, I used to hate Nole when he was that young arrogant (confident) new guy, but I have to admit I'm starting to like him. I think I might actually start cheering for him in slams if he passes nadal's slam total :)

And Raonic :mad: ... oh man ... Go Vasek!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:

agreed.. I think JMDP is going to play with some extra vigor when he encounters Raonic. That will haunt him for years very similar to the Henin incident versus Serena when Henin raised her hand to disturb Serena's service game.