Roger Federer Announces Retirement

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Ok, fair enough - so it is mostly semantics, and point taken re: “a normal curve.” I’ve kind of made a similar point to our dear hyperbolic friend @Fiero425 when trashes everyone for not being Borg or Roger etc.

I just see a half dozen young(ish) guys who I see as having higher upside. Doesn’t mean Ruud isn’t really good or won’t win some big titles, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I've been saying for years that we've been spoiled by the excellence, resilience, & consistency of the Big 3! No champions of the past measure up; hence their numbers are 2 & 3 times bigger! Their records should hold for decades; even if Carlos is the "real deal!" The competition won't allow him to just win everything! :shushing-face: :fearful-face::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought I've been saying for years that we've been spoiled by the excellence, resilience, & consistency of the Big 3! No champions of the past measure up; hence their numbers are 2 & 3 times bigger! Their records should hold for decades; even if Carlos is the "real deal!" The competition won't allow him to just win everything! :shushing-face: :fearful-face::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I really was able to pick up some excellent double tactical strategies watch the Fedal vs World match. ( E.g. Return of service formations )..

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I can see Carlos winning 20 or 21 slams, but definitely not 22. :bye:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, fair enough - so it is mostly semantics, and point taken re: “a normal curve.” I’ve kind of made a similar point to our dear hyperbolic friend @Fiero425 when trashes everyone for not being Borg or Roger etc.

I just see a half dozen young(ish) guys who I see as having higher upside. Doesn’t mean Ruud isn’t really good or won’t win some big titles, though.
I'm not here to tout Ruud. I like him only well enough. I agree that there are more than a few more exciting players than he is coming up. Maybe we're on the wrong thread for this, but there will be time.

As to Roger, and the retirement, I thought the Roger fans might find this interesting: When asked his best match against Federer, Nadal said this, (in Spanish, to Marca,) "The 2008 Wimbledon was the most important, and the 2017 (AO) was the 2nd most important, because, after a time of being injured, we put ourselves in an (advantageous) position." I thought that was interesting. Nadal fans have long known that the 2008 Wimbledon win was career-defining for him, and personally satisfying. And I know that the AO win by Roger over Nadal, in 5, being down in the 5th, was very satisfying for Fedfans. Interesting that Nadal puts that loss as his #2.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm not here to tout Ruud. I like him only well enough. I agree that there are more than a few more exciting players than he is coming up. Maybe we're on the wrong thread for this, but there will be time.

As to Roger, and the retirement, I thought the Roger fans might find this interesting: When asked his best match against Federer, Nadal said this, (in Spanish, to Marca,) "The 2008 Wimbledon was the most important, and the 2017 (AO) was the 2nd most important, because, after a time of being injured, we put ourselves in an (advantageous) position." I thought that was interesting. Nadal fans have long known that the 2008 Wimbledon win was career-defining for him, and personally satisfying. And I know that the AO win by Roger over Nadal, in 5, being down in the 5th, was very satisfying for Fedfans. Interesting that Nadal puts that loss as his #2.
Yeah, I think Rafa is right on. 2017 AO is my favorite Roger win of all time, and I've re-watched the final set half a dozen times or so.

My least favorite is 2019 Wimbledon. That still aches a bit.

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I think Rafa is right on. 2017 AO is my favorite Roger win of all time, and I've re-watched the final set half a dozen times or so.

My least favorite is 2019 Wimbledon. That still aches a bit.
At 3-2, I think, Rafa has game point for 4-2, and he netcords a forehand that blooper-reeled wide, and it makes me cry even now, to wonder why the the tennis gods didn’t have it dribble over, and in. It’s definitely Roger’s greatest - and least expected - victory. He hadn’t beaten Rafa at a slam since 2007…

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, a holiday has to end eventually, no matter how sunny. Couldn’t allow old Wodger to slip away unnoticed. It’s sad really, but inevitable, as it will be for Rafa, for Novak, even for Carlos, eventually.

Federer is getting enough praise, but we’re probably not even praising him highly enough. He’s in the top two most naturally gifted players I ever saw (John McEnroe is the other) and he’s obviously among the greatest sportsmen of the modern era, in a class with Rafa, Novak, Ronaldo, Messi, Phelps, Bolt and maybe one or two others. Historically, his credentials are unimpeachable.

I hate to bring up matches he’s lost where he had match points, but I figured this out years ago, when Safin beat him in the fifth in the semi final of Australia, saving match point when Roger missed a shot by inches. And I thought then, and thought every time since, of just how hard players need to work beat Roger. He’s elegant, he’s stylish, but he’s a tough son of a bitch. All the matches he lost this way, he was close to victory without ever playing his best. There’s memes about the 2019 Wimbledon final, and they’re funny, except that he was almost 38 years old that day.

I hated Roger, because I wanted him to lose, because he was a player who could not only beat Rafa, but Roger had an extra gear that nobody else had - he could humiliate a player by doing things they never could handle. When he was on fire, he was unstoppable. So many titles, so many records, longevity and class too. If you had a child who wanted to play sports, there’s no better example of how to handle yourself, how to compete, and how to win and lose.
Coming from Brother Kieran, that is high praise indeed. Well stated.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't have a particular favorite record, but in addition to the ones pointed out by @tented, a few I'm particularly impressed with:

• Three seasons in which he reached all four Slam finals (2006-07, 2009)
  • 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals (2005-07)
  • 11 Slam titles in four years (2004-07)
  • Only player to defend three Slam titles in a season (2007)
  • Only player to reach all four GS finals in a year three times. In 2006 he became the first man to reach every Slam final in a season since Laver in 1969, then did it two more times (2007, 2009). Novak joined them in 2011 and '15.
  • Seeded first in 18 consecutive Grand Slams
  • ATP Finals: holds record with 6 titles, 10 finals, and 17 appearances

It is a silly award, but he's won the "ATP Fan Favorite Award" every year from 2003-21 (Kuerten won it the first year in 2000, Safin in 2001-02). But that does speak to how well loved he's been.
Incredible stats there! I tend to think the 10 consecutive major finals reached and defending three slams in a season will be tough to top along with the consecutive weeks at number one.11 slams in four years is also one of standouts.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just because we can't quite get enough. This is a bit Rafa-centric. Rafa hugs Rogers kids as they go off after the farewell, with a little extra view of emotions from both.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just because we can't quite get enough. This is a bit Rafa-centric. Rafa hugs Rogers kids as they go off after the farewell, with a little extra view of emotions from both.

All I know is any good bud of mines would not have to deal with the humiliation of what Rafa's put Roger thru over those early yrs! We complain about the "weak era" commentary, but back in 2006-09, few others than Rafa were making Roger work for it! Nole snuck in a couple times, but overall, the comp. was sad and pathetic! Federer had personal pigeons like A-Rod that suffered loss after loss in major finals! Those Wimbledon finals will haunt Andy for all time! Time and time again, esp. on clay, Rafa "used and abused" Roger, picking apart that beautiful game of his! Nadal served Fed plenty of breadsticks and bagels to go along w/ those beatings! No friend would do that unless very insecure & thinking to themselves, "if any weakness shown, it could cost me the match!" Total BS! They had to hate each other's guts no matter the front portraying them as a Legendary Rivals and friends! All of it is a misnomer/fraud! End Rant B4 it gets long-winded! :shushing-face: :yawningface::astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
All I know is any good bud of mines would not have to deal with the humiliation of what Rafa's put Roger thru over those early yrs! We complain about the "weak era" commentary, but back in 2006-09, few others than Rafa were making Roger work for it! Nole snuck in a couple times, but overall, the comp. was sad and pathetic! Federer had personal pigeons like A-Rod that suffered loss after loss in major finals! Those Wimbledon finals will haunt Andy for all time! Time and time again, esp. on clay, Rafa "used and abused" Roger, picking apart that beautiful game of his! Nadal served Fed plenty of breadsticks and bagels to go along w/ those beatings! No friend would do that unless very insecure & thinking to themselves, "if any weakness shown, it could cost me the match!" Total BS! They had to hate each other's guts no matter the front portraying them as a Legendary Rivals and friends! All of it is a misnomer/fraud! End Rant B4 it gets long-winded! :shushing-face: :yawningface::astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
You think they were friends in 2006-09? :fearful-face: They respected each other but they didn't become friendly until much much later in the rivalry.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Fedal are tennis. Nobody even cares that Djokovic was there. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: TheSicilian

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You think they were friends in 2006-09? :fearful-face: They respected each other but they didn't become friendly until much much later in the rivalry.

It didn't matter if they were buds or not! I wouldn't abuse a stranger the way Rafa did Roger in embarrassing him unnecessarily! I used to choreograph my matches of opponents depending on their level of play! My dentist was good, but never a threat! We played in the 2nd round of a club tournament and I got to a 5-2 lead in the 1st set, let him get to 5 all, then closed it out 7-5! In the 2nd set I let him get to a 5-2 lead before storming back to win that set 7-5! No harm, no foul! The score looked good on the draw sheet and he could puff his chest out telling people how he made me work for it! Rafa is one of those competitive types that if desperate enough, he'd drop-shot an old lady in a wheelchair! :shushing-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You can like your version of the story, but their behavior belies it. Sure, they competed hard, and yes, Rafa roughed up Roger a bit more than the reverse, but it became clear earlier than later that they had an amiable relationship off-court. (See the endlessly cited video of them trying to giggle through a promo for their foundations exhibitions.) You like to cite the old one players. Martina and Crissy had an amazing rivalry, and were friends, even though sometimes they weren't. McEnroe has spoken of how much he missed his great rival in Borg, when he quit, and they remain close. Roger and Rafa lived a great rivalry together, when they were 1 and 2 in the world for 6 full years. They were carrying men's tennis on their shoulders. And they experienced a resurgence together in 2017. They are tied at the hip, and they know it. Rafa said that, when Roger retired the other day, a part of his own history left with him. Martina and Chris have said that, being the only ones who lived what they did together makes them close. Same with Roger and Rafa. No one else will ever completely understand what it was to live through that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It didn't matter if they were buds or not! I wouldn't abuse a stranger the way Rafa did Roger in embarrassing him unnecessarily! I used to choreograph my matches of opponents depending on their level of play! My dentist was good, but never a threat! We played in the 2nd round of a club tournament and I got to a 5-2 lead in the 1st set, let him get to 5 all, then closed it out 7-5! In the 2nd set I let him get to a 5-2 lead before storming back to win that set 7-5! No harm, no foul! The score looked good on the draw sheet and he could puff his chest out telling people how he made me work for it! Rafa is one of those competitive types that if desperate enough, he'd drop-shot an old lady in a wheelchair! :shushing-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Probably the lack of killer instinct is why you were never more than a club player, and Rafa has 22 Majors. And Roger 20. (Otherwise than your generosity to dentists and accountants, I'm sure your tennis was amazing.) Tell me one time you ever saw either of them give quarter out of sympathy. Roger used to razorblade through opponents. Did it bother him that it embarrassed them? Rafa and Novak likewise. Should they pull their punches to make a match more competitive? I don't remember Rafa ever drop-shotting an old-lady in a wheelchair, or anyone who didn't deserve one, but you're acting like being competitive is a bad thing. Or somehow "unseemly." You're comparing club play to world class tennis. Being competitive and, yes, ruthless, is exactly what got Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to where they are. I don't see the complaint.

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

11-7 & 10-4 against Fedovic in slams... Total 21-11. :bye:

200.gif

Last edited:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think tennis is about winning not putting on an entertainment show :thinking-face: If Nadal didn't show Federer no mercy in some matches probably Federer comes back to win the match... Isn't that a risky strategy what happens if your opponent played one perfect game at 5-2 you needlessly have to play an extra set :facepalm::fearful-face:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I think tennis is about winning not putting on an entertainment show :thinking-face: If Nadal didn't show Federer no mercy in some matches probably Federer comes back to win the match... Isn't that a risky strategy what happens if your opponent played one perfect game at 5-2 you needlessly have to play an extra set :facepalm::fearful-face:

I actually gave that possibility in my post! It's just something that was done in the past! An ATG will admit to dropping a set to a bud! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face:

• Wow

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually gave that possibility in my post! It's just something that was done in the past! An ATG will admit to dropping a set to a bud! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face:
Well the difference is you have nothing to do with an all time great. You are an old fart from a middle of nowhere club trying to relate your excellent tennis to those of ATP elites. You think they actually think like you, and your weak era theory is like….you. So what isn’t a weak era? Is 2015 and after strong with Fedal heavily declining and the lost gen couldn’t carry it?

Dentists can’t treat brain cramps.