Roger Federer Announces Retirement

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer won't have special farewell this year in Basel,

"I thank the Swiss Indoors for sharing their willingness to welcome me, but I have been trying to absorb everything that happened recently and the celebration in Basel would come too soon after the Laver Cup".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer won't have special farewell this year in Basel,

"I thank the Swiss Indoors for sharing their willingness to welcome me, but I have been trying to absorb everything that happened recently and the celebration in Basel would come too soon after the Laver Cup".
Does anyone else think this is weird? All he would have to do is roll down the road with the fam and accept the kudos. I get why he retired at Laver Cup, but to snub Basel? Is he waiting for them to name the stadium after him? Because I imagine they will. He could do both.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone else think this is weird? All he would have to do is roll down the road with the fam and accept the kudos. I get why he retired at Laver Cup, but to snub Basel? Is he waiting for them to name the stadium after him? Because I imagine they will. He could do both.
I'm thinking his knee must be really in a bad shape that he isn't able to play consecutive days or for the duration of a week.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He won his last appearance at Basel - and it was also his last title. Maybe he wants to keep it that way, rather than go out in the first round to some chump.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He won his last appearance at Basel - and it was also his last title. Maybe he wants to keep it that way, rather than go out in the first round to some chump.
I'm not saying that he would play it. He HAS actually retired. Just that he could show up for the fanfare. Seems like he's not even down for that. That's what I'm saying is bizarre.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not saying that he would play it. He HAS actually retired. Just that he could show up for the fanfare. Seems like he's not even down for that. That's what I'm saying is bizarre.
I dont think he was going to play, I agree with your thoughts I felt it was bizarre, he could not show up for for the organizers for his farewell.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s definitely a snub. I thought so before the Laver Cup, why isn’t he waiting until Basle to retire, and now this? He only has to show up and wave to the fans. Tickets would be sold, his home tourney would be supported. Back in the heady days of the Fedal wars I clinically diagnosed Wodger as a narcissist, and now he claims he’s still basking in the emotions of the Laver cup?

:good: :popcorn

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s definitely a snub. I thought so before the Laver Cup, why isn’t he waiting until Basle to retire, and now this? He only has to show up and wave to the fans. Tickets would be sold, his home tourney would be supported. Back in the heady days of the Fedal wars I clinically diagnosed Wodger as a narcissist, and now he claims he’s still basking in the emotions of the Laver cup?

:good: :popcorn
But why? He could roll out of bed and wave to the crowds, and not break a sweat, while still supporting his home tournament. And yet, no. There has to be some goings-on behind the scenes. This is where businessman Roger puts on his suit and refuses the contract. So much for sentiment.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But why? He could roll out of bed and wave to the crowds, and not break a sweat, while still supporting his home tournament. And yet, no. There has to be some goings-on behind the scenes. This is where businessman Roger puts on his suit and refuses the contract. So much for sentiment.
I think he’s still annoyed that Gstaad gave him a cow and Basle only ever gave him a ton of money…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think he’s still annoyed that Gstaad gave him a cow and Basle only ever gave him a ton of money…
I’d forgotten about that. Hilarious.
70AE8466-9803-425D-B549-AFE7E0D0653B.jpeg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Maybe it has to do w/ the waiting period for the Hall Of Fame! Fed's already stretched it by not retiring until the LC! Five yrs. is a long time! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kieran

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Maybe it has to do w/ the waiting period for the Hall Of Fame! Fed's already stretched it by not retiring until the LC! Five yrs. is a long time! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :rolleyes:
He's already retired. Showing up to receive kudos at a tourney afterward wouldn't change that. Pete showed up at the USO a year after he retired and waved goodbye to the fans.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger has announced his first exho will be in Japan on November 19th for Uniglo