Roger Federer Announces Retirement

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's fairly impressive and touching to see just how much Roger wants to finish his career in a doubles match with Rafa. Damn, that was a rivalry! How mad did we all get over that one? And yet, it's probably the greatest bromance ever seen in sports, at this level, that Roger wants this. I always felt that although he's older than Rafa, a whole generation in tennis terms, more or less, Rafa always came across as the senior, in some ways. The alpha. It was always like Roger looked up to Rafa so much, but Rafa also obviously really likes and respects him too. Who couldn't?

Been lucky for us and our sport to have them both - and Novak too. It's kinda like the last elves discussing their inevitable journey to the Grey Havens, after so many heroic battles. Roger is departing first but it won't be long before the next ships sail...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's fairly impressive and touching to see just how much Roger wants to finish his career in a doubles match with Rafa. Damn, that was a rivalry! How mad did we all get over that one? And yet, it's probably the greatest bromance ever seen in sports, at this level, that Roger wants this. I always felt that although he's older than Rafa, a whole generation in tennis terms, more or less, Rafa always came across as the senior, in some ways. The alpha. It was always like Roger looked up to Rafa so much, but Rafa also obviously really likes and respects him too. Who couldn't?

Been lucky for us and our sport to have them both - and Novak too. It's kinda like the last elves discussing their inevitable journey to the Grey Havens, after so many heroic battles. Roger is departing first but it won't be long before the next ships sail...
I love that Roger has chosen to play doubles with Rafa as his last match. Fitting, I'd say. Theirs was a storied rivalry, and, yes, I think they feel genuinely close. You've said before, I think, that Rafa seems the older of the two, to you. I don't really agree with that, though he was the Alpha on the courts for some time, between them. But Roger was The Man in tennis when Rafa came up. He said in that documentary about them at the anniversary of the 2008 Wimbledon final, "I didn't really want a rival," though he came to accept it and see the value in it. But I think it helped that he felt that Rafa was "properly deferential," I would say, at least when the match was over. (Something Novak, he likely felt, wasn't, but in fairness to Djokovic, he needed a lot of self-belief and sharp-elbows, not just fantastic tennis, to shoe-horn himself in on that already extant rivalry. I don't think either Roger or Rafa was especially amused when he did.)

Yes, we've fought some Fedal Wars around here. Good times! (And not over, for sure.) But we all eventually realized that, no matter how much the tennis press loved to make much of their differences, Roger and Rafa are really pretty similar, as people. And as they go off into the sunset, they'll share things that only the other will really understand.

The match tomorrow will probably break the internet.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger Federer told L'Equipe he will go on holiday in Mallorca and will send his children to the Rafa Nadal Academy
"We have already spoken it with Mirka" he said.

Reactions: tossip and Moxie

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Mirka is pregnant..Roger is all up in his feels, being hormonal.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Unbelievable moment with Roger choosing to play doubles with Rafa in his last match ever. Also the tears and emotions from both at the end. To see 2 incredible champions and rivals be so close and friendly with each others is something very rare in sports. Wow. :clap:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just caught the repeat of the 3rd set Super TB; Roger serving for it at MP! Lost the point! What a way to go out! Tiafoe was head-hunting! Both Fedal had to dodge big forehands to the head! Poor Borg is barely animated! All the hugs! Matteo shaved! Both McEnroes on the sideline! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face:

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just caught the repeat of the 3rd set Super TB; Roger serving for it at MP! Lost the point! What a way to go out! Tiafoe was head-hunting! Both Fedal had to dodge big forehands to the head! Poor Borg is barely animated! All the hugs! Matteo shaved! Both McEnroes on the sideline! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face:

I don't think anyone cares about the match in terms of the result. It's Roger's leaving party - his body of work over more than a couple of decades is enough. Any competitor of that stature doesn't want the opposition to lie down - even on the last day at the office. Genuine affection from his peers, particularly Rafa. Nice to see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In a lovely piece for the NYTimes, Clarey finishes this way: "The words were not what spoke most eloquently, however. The real power was in the expressions: above all in the eyes of Nadal. If a man’s archrival will miss him that much, how should the rest of us feel?"

• Love
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I doubt Federer looked up to Rafa as the alpha, lets not get carried away here. He was on top spot for a lot longer than Rafa all up, and only on clay he took the back seat overall. The impressive thing was that, rarely for two arch rivals, they became quite close……but it had a lot to do with the fact that they knew they wouldn’t be what they became without each other. Now that Roger had to go, not by choice unfortunately (his body just gave out), Rafa would inevitably share the feeling that curtain is finally closing, for himself too for not much longer, they know the battle between them is over and they could only appreciate each other‘s presence being from the same era.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder what Novak would feel, as he came to the party a lot later and wasn’t really ever part of the bromance. I would guess that he feels the clock is ticking too as he is only a bit younger than Rafa, despite having relatively less mileage/wear and tear.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The biggest regret of Roger’s career

https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/match-stats/archive/2019/540/MS001

Every major stats thats compiled showed that Federer outplayed Djokovic, I don’t think there has ever been another match like that. The table shows standard practice of match stats (not just picked for this particular match), and everyone of them was in favor of Federer.….even first and second serve returns which are Djokovic‘s forte. Return points won 79 to 64 and total points won 218 to 204, such disparity that’s clearly a case of one player dominating…..yet he didn’t get the only stat that mattered - the big W.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt Federer looked up to Rafa as the alpha, lets not get carried away here. He was on top spot for a lot longer than Rafa all up, and only on clay he took the back seat overall. The impressive thing was that, rarely for two arch rivals, they became quite close……but it had a lot to do with the fact that they knew they wouldn’t be what they became without each other. Now that Roger had to go, not by choice unfortunately (his body just gave out), Rafa would inevitably share the feeling that curtain is finally closing, for himself too for not much longer, they know the battle between them is over and they could only appreciate each other‘s presence being from the same era.
I agree with a lot of this. You got off to a bad start but recovered. I think definitely Rafa feels closer to the end than Novak does, mainly because although there’s only a year between them age-wise, Rafa has had more wear and tear than Novak: he was half of the Fedal beast that began at full scream in 2005, a full six seasons before he faced act 2 in his great rivalries, and more of the same again, with Novak.

I think also Rafa’s chronologically more suited to the idea of retirement. It’s the cycle of life, as he puts it, and he possibly feels that the promise he made to stay a family when he’s finished touring seems natural and perfectly timed. His friendship with Roger is obviously genuine - as you say, this is most impressive. It’s rare, in high level sports.

And yeah, Novak missed out on the bromance because in some sense he’s from another generation, though not in actual years. He was a spectator while the kid Rafa fought against peak Federer. But I think they all seem like they’re at a stage where they’re friends. That seems to be the gist of what’s happening lately, their respect has evolved into something deeper. It’s a great credit to the sport we love, that we have these three bona fide sporting giants, not only all 3 having extraordinarily long and driven careers (driven by the presence of each other, I presume), but none of them ever disgracing the sport, but instead being it’s best advertisements.

I wonder what kind of send off the other two will get when they retire. I imagine that they’ll probably retire with less fanfare, and less desire for it…

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be honest with you, I think this year was very telling of where Rafa is in his career. Rollercoaster. He had a great start to his year, then a second half riddled with injuries. It kind of showed me there is only so much left in the body. I think he is one major injury from saying goodbye especially with a child on the way.

Reactions: Kieran and Fiero425