Rafa Complaining

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I just read that Rafa is complaining about the balls at the China Open, as well as the constant changing of ball brands from tournament to tournament. Is there ANY other top player who complains as often as Rafa (season too long, too many tournaments on hard courts, etc.)? The additional irony is that he resigned from the player's council a while back. Perhaps the complaining about tour hardships goes along with his preferred status as an underdog/chaser. i.e., yet another challenge to overcome.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
lacatch said:
I just read that Rafa is complaining about the balls at the China Open, as well as the constant changing of ball brands from tournament to tournament. Is there ANY other top player who complains as often as Rafa (season too long, too many tournaments on hard courts, etc.)? The additional irony is that he resigned from the player's council a while back. Perhaps the complaining about tour hardships goes along with his preferred status as an underdog/chaser. i.e., yet another challenge to overcome.

Please cite a source for this information. Otherwise it just comes across like you're gossiping and making it up.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
lacatch said:

Please cite a source for this information. Otherwise it just comes across like you're gossiping and making it up.

I agree. can someone close this troll latented post.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Calm down guys! He's right. Rafa did complain about the balls. So did Murray. Nothing wrong with that at all. I sort of agree. If you use different balls at every tournament it's detrimental to the quality of the play as you have to constantly make adjustments. Boy... you folks are so sensitive when anyone makes comments about your guy! :D

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
lacatch said:

NO!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tennis ball oh tennis ball,

more important than a nuclear war..

more important than a nuclear war ?,

that's what I said you seedy hater.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
federberg said:
Calm down guys! He's right. Rafa did complain about the balls. So did Murray. Nothing wrong with that at all. I sort of agree. If you use different balls at every tournament it's detrimental to the quality of the play as you have to constantly make adjustments. Boy... you folks are so sensitive when anyone makes comments about your guy! :D

And where did you hear about this?

It's not sensitivity; it's wanting to get the facts straight. If Rafa and/or Murray complained, then cite a source that this is what they did. Otherwise it's hearsay and gossip.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Sigh....

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/10/halep-kvitova-through-to-china-open-quarters/52917/#.VC124_ldUs4

No need for Anti to call lacatch a troll because of this..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer complains about Rafa grunting

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/australian-open-2014-floored-roger-federer-complains-at-rafael-nadals-grunting-after-losing-semifinal-9084007.html

Federer complains that Nadal played too slowly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2545618/Roger-Federer-complained-Rafael-Nadal-played-slowly-loudly-Australian-Open-defeat.html

Not a damn thread created
These incidents had nothing to do with Rafael defeating Roger..

On the other hand, playing with 2nd rate tennis balls does affect play and Rafael is correct, at this level its unacceptable

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
Sigh....

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/10/halep-kvitova-through-to-china-open-quarters/52917/#.VC124_ldUs4

Why in the Hell didnt he say Murray is complaining.. I stand by my statement this is t latent

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Rafa does take way too long between points and also grunts like a neanderthal on every forehand...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
federberg said:
Sigh....

Why in the Hell didnt he say Murray is complaining.. I stand by my statement this is t latent

That's a valid point. If both were involved, then why not mention both?

Again, we're seeing the Rashomon effect:

- "The balls here are terrible," Rafa complained.

- "The balls here are terrible," Federer stated.

- "The balls here are terrible," Murray said, and no one paid attention. (i.e., wasn't part of the headline)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
federberg said:
Sigh....

Because tennis.com write a tiny article and then add to it every hour. They're stupid at articles that way. The initial article only mentioned Nadal as I read it hours ago and just saw they've added Murray echoed his sentiments much later.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
On one hand it does seem like Rafa complains more than any other top player (or at least Novak and Roger, as Andy sometimes comes across as one big walking complaint), but it is awfully hard to tell whether the media has just pegged him that way.

The media likes to solidify people into static caricatures. It may be that Rafa is more prone to complain than Novak or Roger, but even if that is the case I'm fairly certain the media blows it up beyond proportion.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The media can only relay back what he says and what they ask him about and if the others complained often we'd see that too.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
The media can only relay back what he says and what they ask him about and if the others complained often we'd see that too.

I don't believe that for a second. If, for example, Berdych, Gasquet, Tsonga, Ferrer, etc. had complained about the balls, no one would know about it. The media don't care about them. They aren't newsworthy. Rafa, Federer, Novak, and Murray are.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
On one hand it does seem like Rafa complains more than any other top player (or at least Novak and Roger, as Andy sometimes comes across as one big walking complaint), but it is awfully hard to tell whether the media has just pegged him that way.

The media likes to solidify people into static caricatures. It may be that Rafa is more prone to complain than Novak or Roger, but even if that is the case I'm fairly certain the media blows it up beyond proportion.

I don't see the media or commentators emphasize the whiny nature of some of his comments. I think the classification of players is mostly based on style of play and demeanor on court where the media might portray them as smooth, emotional, etc. I think Rafa's (possibly incessant) complaining is a separate thing. And it seems to be all in the family as we know his uncle is cut from the same cloth in that regard.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Front242 said:

I don't believe that for a second. If, for example, Berdych, Gasquet, Tsonga, Ferrer, etc. had complained about the balls, no one would know about it. The media don't care about them. They aren't newsworthy. Rafa, Federer, Novak, and Murray are.

That's mainly who I meant, the others from that group. We don't hear from them as much as they don't complain as much. Besides Murray.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on Darth, that's just Rashomen-squared. If you give a dog a bad name, etc. Remember we had all this BS about how Rafa fans were always making excuses, and Riotbeard did the research and found it to be more or less bogus a claim.

Or the claim that Rafa fans insist that if he hadn't hurt his back in Oz he'd definitely have won - except such claims don't exist.

Or the claim that Rafa makes more excuses than anyone else, and then we began to look at Federer.

These men are all cut from the same cloth, but the media get to spin it...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
tented said:
Front242 said:

That's mainly who I meant, the others from that group. We don't hear from them as much as they don't complain as much. Besides Murray.

And how do you know Berdych, Gasquet, Tsonga, Ferrer, etc. don't complain as much? Are you around them? Do you spend time with them? Or are you relying on the media to provide you with this information? If it's the latter, when's the last time they reported on non-complaints, then? Because if you're using the media as your judge of the tenor and nature of their communication, well ... there it is.