Pete Bodo

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Has any one seen this Petition to fire Pete Bodo . Now, you too can sign it.

Pretty funny. But I consider him harmless. He writes about a host of stupid topics outside of tennis. There are so few full time tennis journalists, that only cover tennis. Bud Collins was perhaps,the greatest.

We should focus more on people like Chris Funky Fowler who is a pathetic tv analyst.

I'm not sure Bodo be fired...nobody is forced to read him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't mind Bodo, I enjoy his take sometimes. Loved his pre USO gloat about Roger, maybe the antidote to Tignors hex on Novak. These boys have a lot of copy to file, maybe an average of 4 articles a week, and when there's a slam on they're reduced to grubbing about on the carpets for new slants on things. I think he does fine, although his stab at ghost-writing Sampras autobiography was fairly ordinary...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Can't stand Bodo, but if someone is willing to pay him money so that he can cover the sport he loves, good on both of them. I'll just try not to read.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I find him a bit irritating, but some of his articles are decent. At the end of the day, if I'm reading something I don't like.. I stop. Simples.. Some folks have too much spare time!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well he's about a million times better than that $h1t stirrer Matt Cronin so in that respect it could be way worse.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Where is the Carillo version? I will sign that one and will co-sign if anyone needs a co-signer.

Ditto... she makes it nigh unto impossible to enjoy a tennis match.

Bodo has been around since the 70's, partying and killing brain cells with the best of them on the tour in those days. He's probably written tens of thousands of articles over the years. If his writings seem a bit jaded, tired, or trite it's understandable. No need to fire the old guy.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Where is the Carillo version? I will sign that one and will co-sign if anyone needs a co-signer.

+1000.

The good news is she is running out of venues.

CBS is out of tennis. ESPN wants nothing to do with her, so it's TC and the limited NBC Wimbledon and French coverage.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ She should audition for a horror film. With that deep voice there's no need even for any effects to make it any scarier!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ She should audition for a horror film. With that deep voice there's no need even for any effects to make it any scarier!

Not a gentlemanly thing to say:nono

I am not a big fan of Bodo, but I don't mind him. I can't believe that people would actually use change.org for something like this. If you don't like him, don't read his articles....as simple as that. Gosh the world we live in.:puzzled

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I've nothing against Bodo either. Sure his articles can be a bit silly at times but there are worse out there.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a strong dislike for about 75% of the articles by Bodo. Only the remaining 25%
are palatable to me. However, I must admit that I do read almost all of his articles.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Mary Carillo has a "godfather" in the name of John McEnroe. They are both from Queens and played mixed doubles together---he probably puts in a good word for her.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
If he annoys people this much just by what he writes, then he actually has something to say.

(By the way, I'm not exactly a big fan too, but right now I like him a little bit more).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
According to Pete Bodo if Roger wins Shanghai he will be just 160 points behind Novak in race. The reality is he will be 990 points behind Novak. This is a fundamental mistake considering the whole arricle is about Roger possibly becoming YE #1. Why is this guy even paid to write these nonsense?
That too in an age where all data is available in your finger tips. God, please fire him immediately.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, my biggest pet peeve in any article is poor research, especially when said research is fundamental to said article's narrative. I mean, we criticize these guys for iffy opinions (Bodo) or bad predictions (Tignor) but the truth is, anyone is allowed to voice an opinion and anyone can make bad predictions. Poor research is inexcusable though.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
According to Pete Bodo if Roger wins Shanghai he will be just 160 points behind Novak in race. The reality is he will be 990 points behind Novak. This is a fundamental mistake considering the whole arricle is about Roger possibly becoming YE #1. Why is this guy even paid to write these nonsense?
That too in an age where all data is available in your finger tips. God, please fire him immediately.

Yeah, I noticed that error as well. Sloppy.

That said, I don't get the Bodo hate. I mean, he's writing about tennis, folks, not politics or race relations. How controversial and instigative can anything he possibly write be?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Yeah, I noticed that error as well. Sloppy.

That said, I don't get the Bodo hate. I mean, he's writing about tennis, folks, not politics or race relations. How controversial and instigative can anything he possibly write be?

It is just that he seems too incompetent. Since when did gross incompetency is not a reason
to fire a guy.

I am not saying he is incompetent based on this one error. He routinely makes factual
errors in his writings. He will be referring to a semifinal match as quarterfinal and several
other types of errors.