Are Djokovic and Nadal too old to still compete for Grand Slam finals?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to say.....that calitennis127 guy was really on the money a few years ago when he said that talent is more important than age. He pointed out that the Big 4 could win for basically another decade because the younger generation was so poor. 5 years out it looks like he was right.

Let's all give him a round of applause.....excellent call, Cali. Excellent call.

As for brokenshoelace and El Dude, with your emphasis on age, I'm sorry to say that things have turned out as they have. On to the next debate. Good luck with that one.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Novak and Rafa are dominating the Slams in five years, I'll take you out for dinner, cali.

A few years ago, we all agreed that the then current group of youngsters was very weak and that it would prolong the dominance of the Big Four. I don't think anyone expected the last couple years, though. Dial back to late 2016 and it was expected that Andy and Novak would fight over #1 in 2017, with Fedal fading away into oblivion. 2017-18 was very unexpected in several ways, with Roger and Rafa winning 3 Slams each, and Novak the other 2 (and now 3 in a row).

NextGen is far more talented than LostGen. Do you not agree? Not only are they more talented, but they'll be hitting their prime as Roger enters his late 30s and Novak/Rafa enter their mid-30s. Consider the ages they turn this year:

Roger: 38 in August
Rafa: 33 in June
Novak: 32 in May
24: Kyrgios
23: Coric, Khachanov, Medvedev
22: Zverev, Rublev, Fritz
21: Tiafoe, Tsitsipas
20: Shapovalov, De Minaur

These guys are just entering their primes. At the very least, it is going to get harder and harder for the Big Three to win those Slams. They keep pushing things back, but I would be very surprised if 2019 wasn't the last year that they won the majority of Slams between them. Mark my words: they'll win no more than 2 in 2020.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Novak and Rafa are dominating the Slams in five years, I'll take you out for dinner, cali.

A few years ago, we all agreed that the then current group of youngsters was very weak and that it would prolong the dominance of the Big Four. I don't think anyone expected the last couple years, though. Dial back to late 2016 and it was expected that Andy and Novak would fight over #1 in 2017, with Fedal fading away into oblivion. 2017-18 was very unexpected in several ways, with Roger and Rafa winning 3 Slams each, and Novak the other 2 (and now 3 in a row).

NextGen is far more talented than LostGen. Do you not agree? Not only are they more talented, but they'll be hitting their prime as Roger enters his late 30s and Novak/Rafa enter their mid-30s. Consider the ages they turn this year:

These guys are just entering their primes. At the very least, it is going to get harder and harder for the Big Three to win those Slams. They keep pushing things back, but I would be very surprised if 2019 wasn't the last year that they won the majority of Slams between them. Mark my words: they'll win no more than 2 in 2020.

I doubt it, regarding 2020. I haven't seen all the guys you listed but I don't see any of them beating Djokovic the next 2 years if he is healthy. Djokovic has a legitimate chance at 25, IMO. The key for Djokovic to get there is to start winning the French as he enters his mid-30s prime because he is a clear favorite now at all the others.

I like Kyrgios personality-wise but he has too many holes in his game. The backhand in particular is very poor. I would have to see the others more to comment.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I doubt it, regarding 2020. I haven't seen all the guys you listed but I don't see any of them beating Djokovic the next 2 years if he is healthy. Djokovic has a legitimate chance at 25, IMO. The key for Djokovic to get there is to start winning the French as he enters his mid-30s prime because he is a clear favorite now at all the others.

I like Kyrgios personality-wise but he has too many holes in his game. The backhand in particular is very poor. I would have to see the others more to comment.

Winning 1 more FO would be great, but I don't think Nole should push it! Too much success means he's on the court longer! That 2015 set records that will be a while in breaking with 3 majors (w/ FO final), 6 Masters (2 other finals), and the YEC! I was surprised he was able to keep it going taking '16 AO & FO, but wasn't shocked he was finally done by the end of the season! He made the USO final with player after player WD or retiring in their matches to Nole! He had to be mentally burned out as well as dead inside with all the work it takes to be #1! His 2017 had to happen; 2018 didn't, but he got it back! The older he gets, too much success takes away from the back end as far as I'm concerned! He can go all out to complete another Nole-Slam if he likes, but probably should start taking it easy and skip a Masters or 2; esp. during the clay season! :whistle::eek: :rolleyes:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

From that list I would remove Di Minaur and Tiafioe. They have the grit but I think they lack the major attributes.

Reactions: Fiero425