Nick Kyrgios in 2023

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick’s story this year has been one of the most compelling and impressive ones. The Clown became a Prince and a wasted tennis career was redeemed by great effort, great victories and great runs at Wimbledon and the US Open. I know a lot of us are glad about this, because Nick is immensely talented, and if he was to see out his years as a tennis beach bum, it would deprive everybody who loves the sport of the possibility of seeing him test his mettle against the best - on the biggest stages.

I think he had his epiphany in Australia: winning the doubles there may have made him hungry for more. He said he felt he let people down in New York, but of course, the opposite is true. He used to let people down and now he doesn’t. He played some great marches in New York, and his defeat of Medvedev, and defeat against KK, were two heroic efforts on his part.

So what will happen with him in 2023? The next slam is his home slam. He’ll be under more pressure this time, but he’s showing that he can handle this.

What do you think of Nick, his change of attitude towards tennis, and what do you expect from him in the future?

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd always put Kyrgios in the "too hard to predict basket". He's had a taste of a bit of a success and it might propel him to greater things.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd always put Kyrgios in the "too hard to predict basket". He's had a taste of a bit of a success and it might propel him to greater things.
He’s jumped from the fruit basket to the “too hard to predict basket”, which is a total Nick manoeuvre :lol6:

But yeah, he might be bored by all the effort, by Christmas, and the off season might deflate him. One tiny red flag is that he says it’s all about the slams, but really, he could build good habits by being diligent in the smaller events…

Reactions: kskate2

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick K. was one of the best tennis stories in 2022 no doubt. I do also like that he decided to finally ''give a f...k'' and just play tennis.

I hope he takes all the positives from this season and particularly the loss against silent K. There is some bad blood between them two from the past, maybe why this loss hurt Nick even more, not just disappointment of the loss, but also who he lost against. I hope he comes hungrier than ever for the next season and plays smaller events too, builds up on his ranking so we don't see him face a number 1 seed in a 4th round of the slam. Pity he could not gain points in Wimbledon this year as it would propel him even higher in rankings.

He is so entertaining to watch, love him or hate him there is no denying that he brings something unique on the tennis court and this year was definitely a proof that he was not overrated and limited as a player, but rather someone who is really able to go toe to toe with top players. He just needed to put more effort in his training and if his goal is to win a slam then I think he will have to work even more on his weaknesses and become even better player than he is right now. So he can choose to either improve or go the old familiar roads. We will see in AO what version of Nick will be there.

I don't understand why he doesn't play European indoor season in autumn. He could collect a lot of points there and with more tournaments played all season long he could reach final 8. I think that should be one of his goals for the next season, to reach final 8 if he stays serious enough and he will have his chances on slams too.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick K. was one of the best tennis stories in 2022 no doubt. I do also like that he decided to finally ''give a f...k'' and just play tennis.

I hope he takes all the positives from this season and particularly the loss against silent K. There is some bad blood between them two from the past, maybe why this loss hurt Nick even more, not just disappointment of the loss, but also who he lost against. I hope he comes hungrier than ever for the next season and plays smaller events too, builds up on his ranking so we don't see him face a number 1 seed in a 4th round of the slam. Pity he could not gain points in Wimbledon this year as it would propel him even higher in rankings.

He is so entertaining to watch, love him or hate him there is no denying that he brings something unique on the tennis court and this year was definitely a proof that he was not overrated and limited as a player, but rather someone who is really able to go toe to toe with top players. He just needed to put more effort in his training and if his goal is to win a slam then I think he will have to work even more on his weaknesses and become even better player than he is right now. So he can choose to either improve or go the old familiar roads. We will see in AO what version of Nick will be there.

I don't understand why he doesn't play European indoor season in autumn. He could collect a lot of points there and with more tournaments played all season long he could reach final 8. I think that should be one of his goals for the next season, to reach final 8 if he stays serious enough and he will have his chances on slams too.
I think he’s a lazy so and so, which is part of his charm, because there’s a lot of bigotry against lazy bastards and I’m on the side of the lazy bastards on this one, this might also be why he doesn’t travel to Europe late in the year. It’s starting to get sunny in Australia, and it’s raining in Paris, and Paris is filled with Parisians, it’s a no brainer.

:popcorn

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he’s a lazy so and so, which is part of his charm, because there’s a lot of bigotry against lazy bastards and I’m on the side of the lazy bastards on this one, this might also be why he doesn’t travel to Europe late in the year. It’s starting to get sunny in Australia, and it’s raining in Paris, and Paris is filled with Parisians, it’s a no brainer.

:popcorn
Yeah, he is lazy. Let him play PS5 now and spend some time with family, but just hoping he puts in some work too for the next season.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, he is lazy. Let him play PS5 now and spend some time with family, but just hoping he puts in some work too for the next season.
That’s always going to be the mystery. Is he going to fall asleep and not bother to answer the alarm, or will he keep going and do even better?

I don’t see him as a slam winner but he is the type of bloke who could make the stars align and take a big one. I wonder will he find Australia an inspiring or a claustrophobic place in January?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see you posting Baron,

Nick has always been his own 'person' even as a junior, he kind of plays by his own rules.Nick is a part time player on the tour, he will always pick and choose the tournaments he will play, he dosent want a coach, and has he would feel sorry for anyone trying to coach him.I think the only person that has ever gotten through to Nick has been Lleyton Hewitt, though they have had some words last year and Nick wasnt picked to play DC for Australia this year, though I have heard he and Thanasi might team up for Australia, in doubles in DC for Australia., later this year.
Yes he has tasted some success this year, lets see in 2023, if they success he has had in 2022, propels him to greater things.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not much to add, but mainly echo what others have said. I like Kyrgios - he's a lot of fun to watch, and his antics bring a unique spirit to the game. What is fun about him is that even when he's upset, it never seems malicious or all that entitled. He's just a great performer, both in terms of his ability to win as impressive a point as anyone (on occasion), but also his theatrics.

I think he has the talent to win a Slam, but I'll believe it when I see it. But in a Slam final, I wouldn't count him out against anyone except a healthy Rafa at Roland Garros (not that he'll ever play RG again!) or Novak playing his A game. But I think he could beat anyone (other than A-game Novak) at Wimbledon, and may catch fire on his home turf.

But winning a Slam is damn hard, and you have to maintain focus for seven--often very long--matches, against better and better players, all of whom want to win, most more than Kyrgios. So he's going to have to find that desire and maintain enough focus. I hope he does.

It is weird, because while you'd think he'd have a better chance of winning a Masters, I think his mentality is more suited for a Slam. He brings his best against the best, and seems more impervious to the pressure of a big match, perhaps because he's more indifferent. But that indifference also may keep him from winning a Slam, so it is a bit of quandary. Meaning, Kyrgios is going to have to thread the needle between maintaining his relatively blase attitude which makes him less prone to fold, yet caring enough to maintain focus and drive over seven matches.

Reactions: don_fabio

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Not much to add, but mainly echo what others have said. I like Kyrgios - he's a lot of fun to watch, and his antics bring a unique spirit to the game. What is fun about him is that even when he's upset, it never seems malicious or all that entitled. He's just a great performer, both in terms of his ability to win as impressive a point as anyone (on occasion), but also his theatrics.

I think he has the talent to win a Slam, but I'll believe it when I see it. But in a Slam final, I wouldn't count him out against anyone except a healthy Rafa at Roland Garros (not that he'll ever play RG again!) or Novak playing his A game. But I think he could beat anyone (other than A-game Novak) at Wimbledon, and may catch fire on his home turf.

But winning a Slam is damn hard, and you have to maintain focus for seven--often very long--matches, against better and better players, all of whom want to win, most more than Kyrgios. So he's going to have to find that desire and maintain enough focus. I hope he does.

It is weird, because while you'd think he'd have a better chance of winning a Masters, I think his mentality is more suited for a Slam. He brings his best against the best, and seems more impervious to the pressure of a big match, perhaps because he's more indifferent. But that indifference also may keep him from winning a Slam, so it is a bit of quandary. Meaning, Kyrgios is going to have to thread the needle between maintaining his relatively blase attitude which makes him less prone to fold, yet caring enough to maintain focus and drive over seven matches.
Good stuff! And I agree, Nick likes the big stage and isn’t really able to handle the lower events in the way they need to be, which is grind and warm up for the even bigger grind that’s necessary on the big stage.

His enigma is sound, unaffected by his recent blip of great form. He can continue or vanish and still be the same Nick, which is weird. Anyone else suffering outrageous extremes of fortune would draw our attention to their new circumstances. With Nick, any circumstances at all seem temporary, good or bad, and yet he always has the goodwill of fans…

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good stuff! And I agree, Nick likes the big stage and isn’t really able to handle the lower events in the way they need to be, which is grind and warm up for the even bigger grind that’s necessary on the big stage.

His enigma is sound, unaffected by his recent blip of great form. He can continue or vanish and still be the same Nick, which is weird. Anyone else suffering outrageous extremes of fortune would draw our attention to their new circumstances. With Nick, any circumstances at all seem temporary, good or bad, and yet he always has the goodwill of fans…
If tennis had a Harlem Globetrotters team, Nick would be on it - along with Monfils, Dustin Brown, probably others I can't think of. Meaning, great entertainers, regardless of how good they are or "should" be.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If tennis had a Harlem Globetrotters team, Nick would be on it - along with Monfils, Dustin Brown, probably others I can't think of. Meaning, great entertainers, regardless of how good they are or "should" be.
Yeah, I watched a highlights reel on YouTube of Brown v Monfils and it was so funny. So skilful too. I hope Brown goes on to have a successful exo career, like Mansour Bahrami…

Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I watched a highlights reel on YouTube of Brown v Monfils and it was so funny. So skilful too. I hope Brown goes on to have a successful exo career, like Mansour Bahrami…
there's a very good story on 60 minutes about Bahrami.. He is a pure tennis magician and if you can catch him, he is worth the price of admission

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
there's a very good story on 60 minutes about Bahrami.. He is a pure tennis magician and if you can catch him, he is worth the price of admission
Interesting life, eh? And Roger-level skills...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting life, eh? And Roger-level skills...
yeah Roger and a bit of Rafa -level skills also.. The guy just has incredible hands.. I once saw an exhibition with Mr B and Johnny Mac i Chicago (maybe Keli was there @kskate2 )..OMG it should be illegal what those two magicians can do with a tennis ball.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I kind of like the way Kyrgios marches to the beat of his own drum. He's pretty genuine, human (non-corporate) and does good things around tennis that may go unseen by many - i.e. spending a lot of time with kids coming up etc... On the flipside, I wonder if he'll regret it later on... not dedicating himself totally to the full discipline and sacrifice required to push through to that next level and win the biggest prizes. Sometimes being talented, and thinking you can do it if only you committed fully, might be too big of a comfort blanket to those who never quite get there.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t hate Kyrgios with the intensity of a thousand suns, but at the same time I’m amused that some claim his antics are basically harmless and are only aimed at himself.

Taunting on court to your opponent (Wawrinka) that you’re friend has slept with his girlfriend isn’t “inner” driven.

Tanking matches where the spectators have paid good money to watch professional tennis is hurting them, again not “inner” driven.

Spitting at spectators seems a bit outer driven to me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t hate Kyrgios with the intensity of a thousand suns, but at the same time I’m amused that some claim his antics are basically harmless and are only aimed at himself.

Taunting on court to your opponent (Wawrinka) that you’re friend has slept with his girlfriend isn’t “inner” driven.

Tanking matches where the spectators have paid good money to watch professional tennis is hurting them, again not “inner” driven.

Spitting at spectators seems a bit outer driven to me.
I'm not interested in being an apologist for Nick Kyrgios. He has behaved vilely more than a few times. But why do I have more empathy for him than others? Hard to say. I think he has demons, and I think he's working on them. I'd rather see him overcome them and succeed more than a few whiners I have no patience for. Why? It's just a matter of taste and instinct.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not interested in being an apologist for Nick Kyrgios. He has behaved vilely more than a few times. But why do I have more empathy for him than others? Hard to say. I think he has demons, and I think he's working on them. I'd rather see him overcome them and succeed more than a few whiners I have no patience for. Why? It's just a matter of taste and instinct.
There was definitely numerous times when he was unwatchable on the court and a shame for tennis and I was disappointed in him, no doubt. However, this last stretch where he played serious, from Wimbledon to USO, that makes me kind of believe that he can do better than what we are used to see of him, so I'm actually rooting for Nick to succeed and overcome whatever inner battles he has.